1 hour, 1 spoon...my first spoon...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hey guys,

I love seeing other peoples handiwork, but alas im no craftsman so Ive always just admired other folks' work. However, I decided to finally pick up some wood and have a go at making my first spoon.

So here it is, full of imperfections, but thats strangely what I like about it. It isnt oiled yet, thats the next job. It only took an hour, so any critisiscm and feedback is more than welcome. Thanks for looking...

IMG-20110118-00372.jpg

started of as what I think is Hazel...can anyone confirm?

NorthKesteven-20110118-00373.jpg

split the log...

IMG-20110118-00374.jpg

roughly hewed out...

NorthKesteven-20110118-00376.jpg

bit o'whittling...

NorthKesteven-20110119-00382.jpg

after a quick rough sanding...

So there it is...my first spoon! I found it strangely addictive an am already eyeing up my next bit of spoon-wood!!

Thanks for looking...

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i did my first spoon a week ago, started felling a silver birch in my garden and thought i'd have a go at 'spooning'. made a curved long handled jam type spoon thingy, very addictive and have nearly completed my second!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Great first effort, it is cut exactly as I would have done from that raw material, they work so much better when the bowl faces the bark. Looks a bit yellow for hazel where did it come from?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks really good Paul. goodjob

As for the wood I don't think it's Hazel, I've never seen hazel be bright yellow under the bark before and the bark doesn't seem quite right either.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
thanks for the kind words guys...its very addictive is this carving!!

As for the wood, it came from a pile that was kept in the shed in the rear yard. A friend suggested it could be Laburnum...any thoughts?

Cheers...

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Cheers for the heads up Teepee...i was aware that Laburnum is poisonous, so if the wood is indeed Laburnum then it wont be used for food thats for sure, this was more an exercise in carving.

That being said, I have not seen Laburnum bark all wrinly like this, but could this just be as a result of the seasoning process?? any info would be great guys...cheers.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers for the heads up Teepee...i was aware that Laburnum is poisonous, so if the wood is indeed Laburnum then it wont be used for food thats for sure, this was more an exercise in carving.

That being said, I have not seen Laburnum bark all wrinly like this, but could this just be as a result of the seasoning process?? any info would be great guys...cheers.

Does look like Laburnum with the yellow inner bark and the outer wrinkley bark, which is probably part of the seasoning, but you see it on the tree sometimes too.

Ive not clicked the above link, but as with Yew I'd probably only be worried about eating the seeds of the plant (as they are poisonous) or inhailing copious amount of sanded dust, . Like I say Ive not checked though.

Nice first spoon by the way :)

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
well id best 'err' on the side of caution then and assume its Laburnum...thanks for the info guys. now to find some "safe" wood :) i'll keep this laburnum for some knife scales...thanks once again.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
WhittlerKev - I do plan on getting out more mate. But right now I work in Lincs and go how to Norfolk for the weekends. Soon to start a job in Norfolk thought so will be free for the weekends...WOOHOO!!

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
It was directed at rickyamos as he lives real close to me :) but have a look on the Norfolk thread as we've got a meet on the 19th of Feb. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30784
by the way...if it is laburnum I'll echo everyone else's concerns. Theres a thread on here if you do a search about different woods and their uses
Maybe here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52897&page=2
or here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63967&highlight=wood+use
or here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42838&highlight=wood+use

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
superb effort for a first try mate, i've made many spoons over the years but don't think i've ever made one that quickly.

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE