01 Steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Hi all,

im after a knife made from 01 carbon steel, but dont know thw makes that use this steel. can some kind person help me out with who uses it please.

Cheers.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
There are quite a few makers out there who use 01,

Have a think about your budget as you can buy a carbon 01 frosts knife for under a tenner or something custom made ranging in price from £60 to a million spondoolies.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
O-1, as in OIL hardening tool steel (rather than Zero-1) isn't something that is used my many manufacturers of knives, but is used my many UK knife makers, both hobby and full time.

If you are willing to go with a hand made knife, then have a look over on British Blades, and in the Makers Market here and you will find many people that you can go to. Or you might just wait till you see something you like come up for sale.

If you are trying to find a mass produced knife (say for cost reasons) then you will find it a hard search. I would also say that it is a needless limitation to work under. Certainly, O-1 is good, but to say it is "best" when there are so many other good steels being used... :rolleyes: :D

What style knife are you looking for?

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
O-1, as in OIL hardening tool steel (rather than Zero-1) isn't something that is used my many manufacturers of knives, but is used my many UK knife makers, both hobby and full time.

If you are willing to go with a hand made knife, then have a look over on British Blades, and in the Makers Market here and you will find many people that you can go to. Or you might just wait till you see something you like come up for sale.

If you are trying to find a mass produced knife (say for cost reasons) then you will find it a hard search. I would also say that it is a needless limitation to work under. Certainly, O-1 is good, but to say it is "best" when there are so many other good steels being used... :rolleyes: :D

What style knife are you looking for?

Just a good all round quality bushcraft knife really

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs

then 01 if properly heat treated will give you good results, i't;s fact that it isnt the best though.

for example cpm 3v properly ht'd will give you more wear resistance and over twice the toughness and more stain resistance. its a more technically advanced steel. its a lot more expensive though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whats your budget Paul? That will help people point you in the right direction - Entry id £10, top end is probably £500

Any preference in that range?

Red

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It is hard to tell from your posts whether that information was all you needed, or whether more discussion of the pros and cons of bushcraft knives might be helpful. The thought that ran through my head was that when I was researching different blade steels I almost automatically got a good idea of what makers were using which steel, so your statement that you had done research, followed by your question about who uses the most widely used tool steel in the UK, was a little confusing.

While it is easy to tell you to go look on British Blades and find someone who hand makes knives, and that they will almost undoubtedly use O-1 for some or all their work, that may not really be giving you all the information that you might need. Hence my question about what kind of knife you were looking for.

...doesn't help all that much :lmao:

What I meant was:
Do you want a full flat tang, or would you be happy with a hidden tang or stick tang?
What is your preference for handle material and method of attachment?
Do you want a Scandinavian type single bevel edge, or something that is flat/secondary bevelled or convex ground?
What blade thickness do you demand?
What price range are you looking at, what is your budget?

Also, what level of experience do you have with using a knife and caring for one, ie, sharpening and protecting from corrosion?

Do you know what kind of tasks will predominate your use, hunting/cleaning game and food preparation + utility, or more wood craft and carving?

For instance, if you are not prejudiced against hidden tangs, like wood handles,
would like a Scandi bevel, prefer thinner blade stock (less than 3.2mm), are hoping for something under £75 and want something that will be used for wood work, and a little game and food prep, but mostly wood carving, then the Kellam Wildfinn Puukko might fill the bill nicely.
1241.jpg

http://www.heinnie.com/a22gqh9455/Knives/Kellam/Kellam-Puukko/p-92-205-1241/

In fact, lots of the Scandinavian knives would do. The fact that they are not made of O-1 is not a problem.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Wow, a veritable feast of info.

My budget is £100, and i can only say it will be my general knife used for all tasks really. I only intend to have the one knife, and i aint gonna be doing much carving or preparing of meat, ie, skinning etc.

Cheers all for the info.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
try the britishblades forum for custom knives you'd be able to pic up a second hand custom blade very cheap -

theres also plenty of info regarding other blade types - I was set on O1 myself - ended up going for D2 instead mind ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE