£300 plus knife ? ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Also reads as i made this knife on a belt sander and want to charge you 300 quid. Ever thought of going into engines, im sure you could show rolls royce a thing or two ! Lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

So what tools do you think a knife should be made with?

Most of us here have said, one way or another, what our backgrounds are, and our experience in making knives. What is your background and experience with metal work and knife making? What bad experience have you had with a hand made knife?

Reactions: 0000
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
So what tools do you think a knife should be made with?

Most of us here have said, one way or another, what our backgrounds are, and our experience in making knives. What is your background and experience with metal work and knife making? What bad experience have you had with a hand made knife?
I used to turn 'em out on the linisher at work for fun ! Usually only from a bit of mild but they came in useful for cardboard boxes, knicking the belt edges. To be honest its not the shaping (which i have to agree modern methods take alot of the work out, metal forming is loads easier than it was) but the final edging, anything with a bit of thicness to it was never a problem, even the corners, but thin stuff be wary, and the thinner it is the worse it gets, sort of like a blade edge. There are all sorts of problems, its not just the hardening, but expantion cracks, metal pollution, and even though it seems like not much unfortunatley that what an edge is, not much.

Im not as experienced at knives or fine edges as some, for all i know the sami may have been using belt sanders for centuries, probably a sweedish made model, no imports fom china as that may invalidate the authenticity.

http://www.sameslojd.se/en/

These i may pay 300 for if i used them alot. Even if the edge was dicey, grind it a bit and its back to good stuff.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm so paranoid about "cooking" an expensive wood carving tool that I'll make time to take the time to do most of the sharpening free-hand. Maybe revising bevels from 25 degrees to 20, 25 degrees to 12 degrees. My clear thinking is that I will only have to do this once. From then on, a few licks at 1,000 grit, 1,500 grit and honing is enough.

I've cut a dozen blades with a Dremel & cutoff disks to get blade shapes that I want.
Just go little by little and nothing gets cooked beyond a shower of sparks.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I'd dream of using my EMERSON ''Kandahar'' Knife when I 1st got it, But 1 it's not really meant for Batoning and 2 I'd lower it's price loads.
But I've used a few Bushcraft / Survival knives and tools before that were that amount ? and yeah I was pretty worried.
But if you paid the Cash to use it, You Can or Look at it that's ok as well.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd dream of using my EMERSON ''Kandahar'' Knife when I 1st got it, But 1 it's not really meant for Batoning and 2 I'd lower it's price loads.
But I've used a few Bushcraft / Survival knives and tools before that were that amount ? and yeah I was pretty worried.
But if you paid the Cash to use it, You Can or Look at it that's ok as well.

Phew! And back on track...;)

I’ve a Benchmade Griptilian that I paid around £200 for, the G10 version that addressed all the niggles over the years. I don’t mind using it at all, it’s begging for it. Kind of annoying it took them all that time to sort it, but on the other hand a testament to the original it’s still so popular to this day. If you don’t mind paying out, it’s a hell of a locking folder.

Reactions: Billy-o and 0000

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
E730C9C4-599E-4B83-9DCF-300C18081443.jpeg
I think we need a calming, backgarden with a G&T kind of sunsetty picture of that. :)

I think I can do that. I’ll be needing a sunset, and a G&T of course. A shame I don’t have a camera for low light, there’s a stunning almost full moon tonight that would fit the grey G10 and blue anodised inserts just perfectly.

This’ll have to do for now, against the bark of a Himalayan Birch. With a torch for lighting. :)

7C1905C4-8C51-498F-9A4C-83EF3532FD43.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
View attachment 61249

I think I can do that. I’ll be needing a sunset, and a G&T of course. A shame I don’t have a camera for low light, there’s a stunning almost full moon tonight that would fit the grey G10 and blue anodised inserts just perfectly.

This’ll have to do for now, against the bark of a Himalayan Birch. With a torch for lighting. :)

View attachment 61248

My old Mini Ritter Griptillian is the only modern knife I miss

You own no knives?

Plent of sharp stones undeer the bridge :D

Reactions: Stew and Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My old Mini Ritter Griptillian is the only modern knife I miss

I’ve never had, or even seen, a Mini Grip. I feel like I’m missing out on something, I always go with the advantage of the larger than 3” cutting edge on knives that require ‘good reason’ to carry.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have both a large and small Ritter Grip in M390 and orange handles....have yet to have the small model out of its box for more than a look. Its a lovely little knife, but in the UK there seems so little reason to use a small locking knife when there is no legal advantage.

The greatest difference between the two sizes, other than the size, is that on the large model, the liner is a sort of racquet shaped piece of steel, near full size around lock and pivot, then narrowing to a straight 1/2" width running about half way down the handle. Keeps weight down. The mini has a nested liner for the full size of the handle, so relatively heavier for its size compared to the full size Griptilian.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I’ve never had, or even seen, a Mini Grip. I feel like I’m missing out on something, I always go with the advantage of the larger than 3” cutting edge on knives that require ‘good reason’ to carry.

I'd have kept it if it wasn't for the realisation that a ‘good reason’ fixed blade trumps anything that folds :D

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd have kept it if it wasn't for the realisation that a ‘good reason’ fixed blade trumps anything that folds :D

True. But a deep clip folder is handy. I’ve just discovered with a side to side comparison that the Grip has a longer cutting edge than a Paramilitary 2 The Para2 blade is much more refined with it’s fine tip, and lends itself to the parting of bread rolls for a bacon barm while out. Rubbish at spreading butter though :D

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The other more pronounced appearance is in metastable austenite that changes to martensite when worked, actually used in heavy machinery as Hatfield steel that harden when worked on the surface but the rest stays softer and tough.

Which I reckon explains why I sometimes get little shards of ferromagnetic stainless steel from austenetic stainless steel screws sticking on the end of my magnetic bit driver whilst the screw its self is still non magnetic.
Usually if I've been a bit cack handed with my impact screwdriver which work hardens the little shards.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Eh, no. No it doesn't. No I've never thought of "going into engines" but I have, funnily enough, done a fair bit of work for Rolls Woodgroup turbines. In any case we're talking about knives. I'm not sure if you're a teenage troll or just have an inability to stay on topic, but you're bringing nothing to this discussion.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
You post an offended message with qualms about trolling when previously posting the below

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Ps. I can't believe you use a belt grinder. How barbaric. Do you also wear oven mitts and a blindfold when you use it?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Worthy of the oscar for best offhand performance ! Trolling is reference to a technique that fishermen use to catch their spoils, it usually refers to a comment that is completley out of keeping with sanity, facts, or the course of discussion. It is designed to stir up strife and net the Troller attention thus giving them a position of power so they can feel validated, so tell me punk, do ya ?

• Sad
Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE