Winter top tips?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello all

I have been asked to produce a weekly top survival/safety tip at work and wondered what sort of tips any one here has that they would not mind sharing. Nothing to drastic, it started because I mentioned to someone that they should wear on old pair of wooly socks over their shoes to help keep a grip on the frozen ground we had this week, it seemed to amuse them and so I also told them the standard keep old beach mats or cat litter in the car to aid traction.

So I wondered what other tips you guys have used or heard of?

Yes, I know to avoid yellow snow ;)

Thanks
Ian

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Check their tyres? We have a couple of people at work who I regularly have to remind to get a tyre pumped up - on several occasions they were driving around quite happily with one or more tyres at less than 10psi......

don't eat yellow snow!

sorry someone had to say it i just wanted to beat everyone else

in seriousness advise them to carry adequate clothing even if they dont want to wear it-too often i see office workers shivering as they walk home because they are dressed for an office with heating not a winter walk

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
don't eat yellow snow!

sorry someone had to say it i just wanted to beat everyone else

in seriousness advise them to carry adequate clothing even if they dont want to wear it-too often i see office workers shivering as they walk home because they are dressed for an office with heating not a winter walk

you didnt read it did you Sam :D

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wear a hat. It helps to keep you warm.

Check your footwear to see if the soles will give decent grip. Check for holes, and re-do any waterproofing that is needed.

For women (and men if they like :rolleyes:), don't wear heeled shoes in icy or snowy conditions unless you paticularly want a broken ankle.

Dress sensibly I see far to many many people in skimpy clothing or even pyjamas just going to the shop, Think about it, a white out for a few hours, your going to get cold...

Yak Trax, I bought a twin pack of an equivalent of these from Costco last year, finally got to test them this week, 10 out of 10 they are great, I thought at best they would provide me slightly more traction on sheet ice than my boots i was wrong, standing on the ice I couldn't slide my foot in any direction, I had to physically lift my foot to move it, highly recommended

Always tell someone where your going when you expect to get there / back and what route you taking, it only takes a minute or 2 to send a text, or make a call.
I give loved ones reassurance and piece of mind, In a worst case scenario giving this info to someone my save your life, or hopeful more useful, it allows your other half to have a cuppa and a hot meal ready for you when you arrive home.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Keep an eye on your elderly neighbors (if you have neighbors). Hopefully they'll remember you in their will.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I had some yaktrax, they were great while they lasted but the rubber bit snapped t'other day and now they are useless...
Freelander, funnily enough I thought about just wearing socks over my running shoes on the ice but haven't yet tried it. It should work, in theory, but is it really effective? I hope so, it'll certainly save a few bob if it is!

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
If you wrap up warm then start doing some activity, don't let yourself get wet through from sweating. Stop and take some layers off, aim to be slightly cold when moving. Otherwise eventually you get wet underneath, its impossible to dry off and the water conducts heat away from you very quickly, in cold wet weather it is almost impossible to get dry and can be very dangerous.
Learnt the hard way!!!

Thanks chaps, great collection of ideas for me.

I think the top tip should be visit www.bushcraftuk.com - it has plenty of tested and sound advice.

If you can think of other tips none car related and perhaps seasonal as I may continue to do this through out the year.

Passing on the knowledge is a concept I subscribe to.

Mick W
Let me know how your running goes with the socks.

Thanks once again and keep the ideas coming, ta.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hello all
I have been asked to produce a weekly top survival tip at work
Ian

Considering the state of the economy Ian, and the number of people I know who have been put on a 3 day week, I would suggest making sure there is always someone who you know is next in line for the axe before you are :yikes:, but thats probably not the kind of thing you were after?:confused::eek:

Asda are flogging off the snowtrax for £8.

http://reviews.asda.com/1440-en_gb/001024745/snow-trax-reviews/reviews.htm

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE