Usmc filbe pack system (inc camelbak ambush)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Hello. Just a brief one here as I got this system a little while ago and have used it sufficiently to write a few lines, just in case anyone was interested...

Lots of photos here (NOT MINE) -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-R...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item53f1e3b012

Firstly I brought this bag for about £350, as the full set including postage from the US and customs fees (cost about £40 in customs). I realise it's a lot of lolly but I used to do a bit of Airsoft and I keep meaning to do more so brought this with the idea that I would use it for more than bush craft.

It appealed to me for the following reasons and have benefited/worked for me -

Not camo.
I love army kit as the stuff I have is tough as old boots. Thing is though, you can get away with maybe one camo item but any more and you start looking a bit daft. Especially if they are not matching patterns. This whole pack set is brown, although it looks gold ish in the photo's it's really kind of tan. IT's actually Coyote Brown.

Set of everything
In matching colours it includes a Camelbak and a patrol pack, along with four pouches. The pouches have MOLLE fittings on the back. The Camelbak however does not, and needs to be fixed using other methods. The small assault pack fits on the top of the main pack.

Frame System
A friend told me that frame systems are great. Having never been really comfy with a back pack (and never trying one with a frame) I thought this was worth a punt. It's worth noting that the frame is small on this pack leaving you with almost full arm mobility and no restriction.

Spares and repairs
As with all USMC and USGI pack systems there will be abundant spares for years to come. Belts, frames and shoulder straps are really cheap and highly available for the CFP90 pack system which is about 15 years old now. It also comes with a bag of spare clips which is handy.

Quality Manufacture & Design
It's Made in America, which I'd rather to made in China. It was pretty much designed by Mystery Ranch and is made by Eagle Industries who make great tactical Cordura kit. It also has built in fail safe bits, such as a bodge it together system and redundancy buckles incase any of the clips break etc. You can even carry the pack without the frame in extreme circumstances.

Sleep System Pocket
A fantastic part of this bag is the bottom of it - it has a separate compartment for your bag and takes my British Army "Arctic" or my Carinthia Defence 4 without compression. It's massive. I also fit my bivy bag in it. It allows you to put your bag in the bottom and access it without getting everything else out that is buried on top of it. Cleverly, the separator inside can be un-zipped allowing you to have the full size of the bag for packing stuff. Still it's a great place for your doss bag.

MOLLE
I know not everyone thinks it's great but I love MOLLE. I like to carry as much or as little as a choose too, where I choose to. Obviously this bag is covered in loops.

Compression Straps
There are two on each side for pulling the bag in on itself as well as two on the bottom which I use to fit my folding kip mat into and my bivy poles (which I keep in the matt for protection). It's probably about two foot wide, the matt, and doesn't protrude much at all either side. When you're not compressing the bag they are great to stuff your jacket in or a poncho so you have quick access to them without going in the bag. Usefully, each side of the pack has a little pocket underneath. I put my bivy poles in these and strap them in with the compression straps.

Small Pack
The small pack clips onto the top of the big pack. That was a bit of a gimmick for me as I can't imagine I'd fill both and manage to carry it. The small pack is however FANTASTIC and I use it all the time. Inside there is a removable plastic panel which stops lumpy things poking into your back. It also has a radio pouch bit inside which is a great place to put the Camelbak bladder and you can route the hose out of a Velcro flap at the top near the carry handle. Having owned the Karrimore Predator 45 it was a bit too small for me to use for camping and a bit big for anything else. This on the other hand is about 35 litres and looks like a reasonably normal pack. The zip is massive and I frequently fill it with pack lunches, nappies and kids coats when we go for family days out and it is comfortable on my back. It has both a sternum strap and a belt although I generally don't use the belt and tuck it into the compression straps at the bottom. It too is covered in MOLLE but aside from sticking the "assault" pouch onto it I haven't bothered with any other pouches although I may get a B&T pouch as I have one of those on another pack and it's pretty useful but realistically I don't need anything else. It too has fail safes. The shoulder straps also tuck into the back padding should you wish to stick it into a locker and not want the straps to snag (useful when I take the kids swimming!) but I think it was designed that way for wearing on armour and fixing to the main pack.

Water Proof
Anything I want to keep dry goes in a dry bag however it's nice to think the dry bag will keep dry too :) This pack system is supposed to be waterproof and I haven't gotten it sufficiently wet to comment. The zips are the "waterproof" type that are now on goretex jackets etc but I wouldn't trust them 100%. The pack itself is Cordura and looks laminated on the inside so I assume it is.

Camelbak
The Camelbak is closest to the civy "Ambush" version. It is insulated however the tube cover isn't which is amusing as your first slurp is freezing on a cold day but then the rest is as luke warm as it was when you filled the bladder. It's also worth noting that it is not the normal sized Camelbak. The whole quick detach hose and mouth piece is great as it allows you to take off the bite valve and then poor water directly from your bladder into your cup or pan or whatever. Other than that I personally think the whole thing is massively over engineered for civy use. The British Army Thermobak's can be brought for quids these days and are brilliant. Equally the Source Hydration ones are fine too if yo are not worried about insulation. The fact that this Camelbak is short as opposed to the "normal" length means that it doesn't sit comfortably on your back, or at least not on mine. If you pull the shoulder straps really tight and have the sternum strap almost under your neck it's not too bad but I assume it's designed for use over armour and this is one of those things that don't transfer to civy use easily.
See this page (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camelbak-...283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6a5cee7b) for a pic of the bladder, this page has more info http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camelbak-...ackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&hash=item53f2e93081). IF you ask me however, I think that this hydration system is massively over engineered.

I can't think of anything else to write but I really like the main pack and use the small pack all the time which has added value for me. All in all it's a fantastic bit of kit. The belt and shoulder system is out of this world for me - no movement in the pack at all and the straps/belt are really well padded. It really helps hold the weight. I think the most I carried in it was about 80lb for five miles, half down hill and half back up (with a tea break at the bottom)! and it carried the weight well. It is designed to withstand 200lbs but I think that is exclusively for US Marines and not slightly over weight bush crafters like me!

This is the first review I have ever written and has taken ages. I'm sure it's not the best and it would have probably benefited from some photo's but I will endeavour to add some in the future. Feedback and any questions are welcomed.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Nice looking kit wouldn't mind a play? What size is the small pack? Does the small pack have a waist belt.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well that is a hell of a pack, not sure its for me I have to say (£350 :eek::eek:) but then I guess your getting 2 packs and a hydro pack for your money. Im not a massive fan of 'tacticool' gear but I do like a MOLLE stuff for its versitility.

You said the camelbak attaches by 'other means' Im interested what these might be :D?

Whats the capacity of the main pack?

Nice review thanks for taking the time :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Spares and repairs
As with all USMC and USGI pack systems there will be abundant spares for years to come. Belts, frames and shoulder straps are really cheap and highly available for the CFP90 pack system which is about 15 years old now. It also comes with a bag of spare clips which is handy.

Quality Manufacture & Design
It's Made in America, which I'd rather to made in China. It was pretty much designed by Mystery Ranch and is made by Eagle Industries who make great tactical Cordura kit. It also has built in fail safe bits, such as a bodge it together system and redundancy buckles incase any of the clips break etc. You can even carry the pack without the frame in extreme circumstances.....

The CFP90 has actually been around for well over 25 years now and spares ain't easy to come by at all.

As for the ILBE it was originally designed by Arc'teryx's LEAF division (Law Eanforcement and Armed Forces) They are and always have been manufactured by Propper Inc. and their color is MarPat (MARine PATtern pixalated camo) What you have ain't the real one.

Here's a link: www.military-backpacks.com/ilbe

There was a rumor that an improved version (more compatible with body armor) might be made by Mystery ranch, et al. However as far as I know none have ever been fielded. In any case the label would have the NSN which clearly is missing from the one pictured.

Last edited:

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
without wanting to start an argument, it's the new replacement version of the ILBE - the FILBE.

I mean not to insult you but I can find lots of CFP90 bits. I checked before I wrote it in the review. I do agree that it has been around for about 25 years, perhaps if this is the only mistake I have made you will forgive the typo - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I can only assume that my internet searching abilities are a little more honed than your own, as if you were to really look for the FILBE system you would find it and see that it is the latest to roll out for the USMC, along with their other new kit all in CB such as armour etc.

What the USMC have done is taken the famous large ALICE and molle'd it up - that is the FILBE.

I trust you will re-check your sources and confirm that I do have "the real one" as I would not want anyone to think I am a fool, as I am sure you would not were the boot on the other foot as it were.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice looking kit wouldn't mind a play? What size is the small pack? Does the small pack have a waist belt.

-Main pack = 4500 cubic inches (73.742 liters)
-Assault pack = 1500 cubic inches (24.581 liters)
-Hydration reservoir = 100 ounces (2.957 liters)

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex

I would say the small pack is about 30l with assault pouch and large outer pocket but maybe my critic knows best? It does have a waist belt, plastic buckle probably about two inch webbing strap without padding. Also has a sternum strap. Small pack is something I have to hand so will take picks tomorrow maybe!

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Well that is a hell of a pack, not sure its for me I have to say (£350 :eek::eek:) but then I guess your getting 2 packs and a hydro pack for your money. Im not a massive fan of 'tacticool' gear but I do like a MOLLE stuff for its versitility.

You said the camelbak attaches by 'other means' Im interested what these might be :D?

Whats the capacity of the main pack?

Nice review thanks for taking the time :)

Interestingly the pack comes with five Grimlocks which are like a MOLLE compatible carabiner almost - Google it lol. That's how it fits to the pack but the silly thing is if you wanted to pack mount it you could take the bladder out and put it in a low profile hydration pouch, of which two come in the set.

It totally is tacticool :)

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
-Main pack = 4500 cubic inches (73.742 liters)
-Assault pack = 1500 cubic inches (24.581 liters)
-Hydration reservoir = 100 ounces (2.957 liters)

Where did you get that info? Just curious, based on your statement " What you have ain't the real one".

Still waiting for a statement to back up your comments.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
without wanting to start an argument, it's the new replacement version of the ILBE - the FILBE.

I mean not to insult you but I can find lots of CFP90 bits. I checked before I wrote it in the review. I do agree that it has been around for about 25 years, perhaps if this is the only mistake I have made you will forgive the typo - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I can only assume that my internet searching abilities are a little more honed than your own, as if you were to really look for the FILBE system you would find it and see that it is the latest to roll out for the USMC, along with their other new kit all in CB such as armour etc.

What the USMC have done is taken the famous large ALICE and molle'd it up - that is the FILBE.

I trust you will re-check your sources and confirm that I do have "the real one" as I would not want anyone to think I am a fool, as I am sure you would not were the boot on the other foot as it were.

Tonight's research has revealed you're partly correct. The FILBE contract has indeed been awarded both to Propper and Eagle. However it's a long, long, long way from the ALICE system. Rather its a cross between three other systems: 1) the original ILBE pack (mostly this one in fact); 2) The Army's improved MOLLE system; and 3) the PALS system (which attachment system replaced MOLLE) And as stated the label on a genuine one would have the NSN.

I currently own a CFP-90 and 2 ALICE (one medium and one large) that I was issued.

As far the CFP90 bits, well I can find entire packs (either the main pack or the day pack or both together. However bits such as straps are sewn to the adjustment wedge and just aren't to be had without canabalizing from a worn out pack. On the other hand, bits such as the clips and buckles are rather generic and can be had anywhere.

Last edited:

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Look you were mistaken and you still are. Please don't embarrass yourself this is legit kit. I know a thing or two about this, as I am sure you have fields of knowledge also. Arguably you are right that you can trace this bags lineage in the way you described because it has features of all.

There was the Mark 1 ILBE was replaced by the Mark 2, both MARPAT. The mark 2 is being replaced by the FILBE. This is a fact. Lots of marines I have spoken to have commented that this is an updated version of the ALICE, which they state as a compliment. I am not declaring that it is a fact, but again it could be argued that this is an update of the ALICE pack and even looks a bit like it when you add the pouches to the FILBE but that is irrelevant.

I'm not discussing this with you any further as I feel that you have arrived at a challenge of witts unarmed and this feels unsporting.

Also, for your information, the NSN is... 8465-01-600-7830. This is the assault pack, made by Eagle. I can only assume that based on your argument, this is genuine because it has an NSN?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Look you were mistaken and you still are. Please don't embarrass yourself this is legit kit. I know a thing or two about this, as I am sure you have fields of knowledge also. Arguably you are right that you can trace this bags lineage in the way you described because it has features of all.

There was the Mark 1 ILBE was replaced by the Mark 2, both MARPAT. The mark 2 is being replaced by the FILBE. This is a fact. Lots of marines I have spoken to have commented that this is an updated version of the ALICE, which they state as a compliment. I am not declaring that it is a fact, but again it could be argued that this is an update of the ALICE pack and even looks a bit like it when you add the pouches to the FILBE but that is irrelevant....

What was the age of the marines you've spoken too? There are very few (if any) in service today that would even be old enough to have ever seen an ALICE pack, let alone have been issued one. Mine were indeed issued. ILBE and ALICE have little in common other than they both have shoulder straps.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....I'm not discussing this with you any further as I feel that you have arrived at a challenge of witts unarmed and this feels unsporting.

Also, for your information, the NSN is... 8465-01-600-7830. This is the assault pack, made by Eagle. I can only assume that based on your argument, this is genuine because it has an NSN?

I don't have the resources at hand immediately to look up the NSN but that isn't the point; the one you list may well be the correct one. The point is that it isn't on the label pictured as DoD standards require. And I have no interest in arguing with an obvious civilian who was never issued, or has never humped, any of the packs we're discussing.

TBH it doesn't neccessarily matter that the one you pictured is or isn't a genuine issue item. Sometimes commercial copies are better that the issue item sometimes not. What matters is the quality of the item you have and whether or not you are happy with it.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And MOLLE weaves onto PALS. One does not replace the other, they work together. This is the unarmed thing I mentioned on your part.

The End.

They can be made to work together but their spacing is a bit different and it isn't all that easy.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Delete your ****y comments and leave my review alone, you have brought noting new or positive to this and no one is benefitting from a flame war. Thanks for that. Shows me that facts I know to be true will be challenged if I bother to do a review (and this is my first).

I think there are quite a few examples of you being wrong on what you have said and still you don't apologise - be a man and see your mistakes.

I'd not give a monkeys 99% of the time but as it stands I have a baby that does not sleep so nor do I and I am cranky as F.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For those interested, here's the actual training film put out by the Marine Corps contractor. It gives a complete 30 minute intructional on how to assemble the system as well as how to change it from the Standard setting to the Long Torso setting: www.soldiersystems.net/tag/filbe

It also give instruction on donning the pack, removing the pack normally, removing the pack in an emergency using the Quick Release buckles, and of less importance to us here, proper wear over body armor.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Where did you get that info? Just curious, based on your statement " What you have ain't the real one".

Still waiting for a statement to back up your comments.

Those are the published capacities:

[h=1]Improved Load Bearing Equipment (ILBE) Selected and Approved[/h]
ilbe_02_400.jpg

Improved Load Bearing Equipment (ILBE) has many pouches and pockets plus the detachable Assault Pack.

On 15 January 2004 the ILBE design was approved and scheduled for procurement as a direct replacement for the MOLLE Modular Lightweight Load Carrying Equipment. The selected design was a modified Arc'teryx Bora 95 pack with a hydration system produced by Source Vagabond. Specifications are:
  • 4500 cu in. Main Rucksack
  • 1500 cu in. Assault Pack
  • 100 oz Hydration System
The family of ILBE packs includes:
  • Standard ILBE
  • Corpsman Assault Pack (CAP)
  • Assault Load Carrier (ALC) Pouch System

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There is only one real change between the older ILBE and the newer FILBE:

1) Most importantly is the improved suspension system allowing:
a) greater comfort over body armor and
b) adjustment from standard to long torso length

There seem to be minor, less important changes such as the elimination of the side entries and the elongated zipper handles.

And for those interested, the training fil in post #17 is for the newer pack.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE