So Tomorrow i find out if i have to look for another job...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Yup, even the ISP industry is streamlining. with all the recent acquisitions we've found that we have 3 people doing the work of 1 person just in 3 different offices...
so the company is "re-structuring"
no longer do you get told if your going to be made redundant. oh no, nowdays your either 'Mapped', 'Pooled' or 'Displaced'
if i'm mapped i still have a job, if i'm Pooled i have to re-apply for my own job. if i'm displaced well you can take a wild guess.

didn't sleep at all night as it was, little one was ill and this was playing on my mind, they announced this two weeks ago and have left us sat here despairing over who's going and who isn't without telling us a damned thing its inhuman dressed up as polite smiles and HR fluff.

stupid way to run a company if you ask me. the sooner i can get out of the gods damned rat race of the office the effing better!

had enough, big fat enough.
*sigh*
any ways, needed to vent, sorry. you know how it is.
Pete

resnikov

Know what you are going through, I going through the similar at the moment. 1000 staff going where I am, been told my dept (30 people) are being TUPE'ed to another company so thats something but no one is telling us anything re: location, T&C extra. Oh and the date we move is 1st April! Is that a sign or what?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Might be the best thing that happens to you. You just might find another job that pays better. Dont let it get to you, the worst case scenario is that you go back on the market and find another role.

Within the IT industry its all contract based, so you get a job.. could be for 6 years, could be for 3 months, once your done you move on looking for another job/gig/placement/contract, so I can understand the feeling of lack of security, but if you keep fighting, keep moral high, stay on top of your qualifications, keep your CV upto date and in top notch, you never know you might just find a much better job and wonder why you stayed at the old place for so long. The last thing you want to do, is get depressed, give up, have enough. Keep your chin up, there is plenty of work in the UK no matter what they say on the news, you just have to fight for it a little more than you used to.

I hope this helps.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Cheers guys, honestly i'm probebly in a better position then most, within the next 4 months the wifes course will be up and she'll graduate and with luck straight into an NHS job (radiographer) already got some interest and she's not finished the course yet!
however i just need to hold on, if i have to do temp work or serve at mcdonalds i'll get work, its there if your willing to do it.
just damned inconvenient and seriously annoying.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
I see this so many times and have been through it myself as well.

It is a horrible and as you said inhuman process to go through. My advice would be to take a day or two just to get over the shock and horror of it happening before you even consider searching for new work, find out what your rights are regarding any pay off you are entitled to and get it tax free. Ask for better terms than the minimum as well, especially if you have a good record there and check out your holiday as well to make sure you don't miss out. If you are "displaced" (what a BS gutless way of saying it how it is) then make sure you sign on ASAP and get all benefits you are entitiled to as well such as tax credits, expenses for interviews, I have even heard of some people having interview clothing funded as well. If you don't it will mess with your tax code for your next job and leave you out of pocket needlessly. I am not encouraging scrounging from the state but you have paid tax while you worked and in hard times the state is there to help.

As others have said it can be a good thing to happen and have frequently seen peoples careers change for the better after a redundancy.

Whatever happens, good luck and I hope it works itself out.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I do sympathise Pete, I have like many others been through it. Fortunately the one time it actually happened I took it happily as I knew my perfect job (at the time) was coming up, I just gave the interview and push for that 200%!
I was out of work for 1 week, and I went to Ireland fishing and then I started a lovely number on the canals.

A few years in and it start happening there, although I know I'm probably safer than anyone but I didn't like it so the redundencies come and go whilst my feet get itchier!
The next lot of rumours come along and I decide that I am no longer going allow some clueless eejit in a boardroom make bad decisions about my future as I am, to be fair, more than capable of doing that myself!:eek:
So as the announcements happen I have already decided I'm off, I am a skilled man (chippy) and I am able to live off that & my wits and its no bad thing getting de-institutionalised before its too late (I was 30) so against my bosses wishes I bailed, and up until this reccession/credit crunch nonsense I was quite happy. Although work is now pretty terrible and if there was any in my field and area I would get a job.
My point is that on balance it has worked out for the better, we didn't see these economic woes coming but hey ho, we can manage on the breadknifes wages, and it has made us work harder for our dream life outside of the UK
Afterall, it may not be a bad thing..................

Keep smiling

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
just got word today that the company didn't get the contract we needed to keep going this year, it has been recommended that i look for alternative employment.

so i feel for you mate, i hope it all goes well for you.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I see this so many times and have been through it myself as well.

It is a horrible and as you said inhuman process to go through. My advice would be to take a day or two just to get over the shock and horror of it happening before you even consider searching for new work, find out what your rights are regarding any pay off you are entitled to and get it tax free. Ask for better terms than the minimum as well, especially if you have a good record there and check out your holiday as well to make sure you don't miss out. If you are "displaced" (what a BS gutless way of saying it how it is) then make sure you sign on ASAP and get all benefits you are entitiled to as well such as tax credits, expenses for interviews, I have even heard of some people having interview clothing funded as well. If you don't it will mess with your tax code for your next job and leave you out of pocket needlessly. I am not encouraging scrounging from the state but you have paid tax while you worked and in hard times the state is there to help.

As others have said it can be a good thing to happen and have frequently seen peoples careers change for the better after a redundancy.

Whatever happens, good luck and I hope it works itself out.

Good advice there. if you get into the benefit system and end up on the new ESA After being on JSA for too long, there are 2 types. Income related (replaces Income support) and Contributions based (replaces Incapacity benefit). The income related only applies if you partner earns less than 16,000 a year and works less than 24 Hours a week. If you qualify for Contributions based you really don't want any gaps in your National Insurance Contributions other wise if there is a gap you will not be entitled to any money only NI Credits towards state pension. There is no way to pay national insurance contributions unless you are employed or self employed. So don't delay as soon as you are layed off get claiming! I would even ask for the paperwork to sent through now.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/index.htm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...herSupport/Employedorlookingforwork/index.htm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...rSupport/Employedorlookingforwork/DG_10018757

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Painful huh?

If you are asked to apply for your job, you can always do what did once - say "no thanks, I have a job and I don't choose to apply for another one - your move"

Childish, but curiously satisfying.

Trust me, they know already who they will keep (indeed finding the new org chart with names left on a printer as I did once gives great ammunition). Don't feel like you have to dance to their tune. Its your life, make your own decisions. If you would rather go with a wad of cash, you can probably make that happen.

Red

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Uncertain times for many...Having been unemployed for a short while I feel for everyone facing it.

In my dept at school I'm facing staff leaving and not being replaced, putting extra stress on those that do stay...as I said, uncertain times.

Simon

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Lol @ Red, you know i may just do that m8.
seriously, i find out in a few mins here's hoping.
either way once neane is qualified and working and earning more then me i'm off to college, i'm not sticking round to do the same thing time and time again, i'm getting a new skillset.

pooters was fun but nowdays its all about qualifications in MCSE and we're getting guys in that have done the book courses but for the life of em never had to re-wire a web farm, doesn't know how to create a patch cable, couldn't setup a switch to save their lives and look at a router with the same sort of blank expression your granddad gets when he buys a new stereo!
wouldn't know a Dslam if it fell out the sky and landed on their foot!
pah
anyhoo i want to get outdoors and feel the weather beat on me, i like the rain, i love the sun, i enjoy the snow. bring it.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
well it appears i'm mapped, i still have my job, its provisional because it can be contested by other departments but we honestly don't expect anybody to go against it.

still, after considering options i think come this summer i'm still going to look elsewhere and get myself outdoors. i need to get out of this rat race, hell i slept badly last night and the night before i actually didn't sleep at all.
need to get out.
pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE