Shotgun barrel length

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All,
I'm thinking of getting a 12ga pump action after having not had one for a few years now and I'm wondering about barrel length.
How much difference is there really between a gun with a 20" barrel and one with a 28" barrel in terms of effective range and shot pattern? Can you get comparable results with each length by experimenting with different shot and load sizes? Can you make do with a cylinder bore gun and not have one with chokes?
I really fancy getting a Mossberg Milspec 590 (I've always liked military firearms and shotguns in particular), but I fear that it might not be as effective at shooting flying geese and ducks as it would be when using it on pigs, rabbits, marauding zombies etc.
I haven't done much wildfowling as yet, only clay bird shooting and rough shooting and for that I mostly used my Ithaca Featherlight 12ga 8 shot pump action (what a beauty!) or a 12ga Lanber O/U (not so much fun).
Thanks in advance for your time in replying.
Fire away!
Cheers,
J :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jamie,

Choke certainly makes a significant difference on longer shots. It can be a pain though if you want to alternate in the field.

To give me the best of both worlds I use a "Polychoke"

2577820792_fd2a050852_o.jpg

With this you can leave it set to cyclinder and just rotate it to give more choke when you want it - no messing with a choke key

Your sight raidius is as much of a problem with a short barrel as the ability to force a shot pattern - short barrel shotties are harder to aim accurately (IMO)

If you are looking to shoot high birds, I'd go for the 28" myself

Red

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I agree with British Red, for most people and most sporting uses, a 28 inch barrel is preferable.

The 20 inch barrel is primarily designed for home defense (shorter barrel = easier to maneuver indoors) or hunting in heavy brush (again, where a shorter barrel shines).

But for most people you're better off with a 28" barrel, IMO

Thanks for the good advice Red. I've not come across polychokes before. Neat idea! What gun is that one on? I suppose shooting birds over decoys with a short shottie wouldn't be as hard as aiming at high fliers would it?
Another option I've been considering is a Mossberg Maverick that comes with a 28" choked barrel and a 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. I suppose that would be a more sensible option, eh!
Cheers,
J

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
In the UK, if the barrel is under 24" it cannot be held on shotgun certificate.

I get the impression that the clay target folks increasingly favour 30" barrels, which I think would be a handicap in the field. But I think this is more to do with 'swingability' than shot patterns. Choke, back-boring and cartridge will obviously influence the shot pattern - it may be best to use a pattern plate to see.

I use a side by side with 28" barrels - traditional but it works.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The poly is on my Benelli M3 Jamie

2459456513_f04131d1b5.jpg

Its an interesting gun in that you can shoot it semi automatic or flick a catch with your left hand and shoot it it in pump mode. I find that very handy in shooting mixed or light loads

I suspect having both barrels would make most sense - particualkrly if hunting porkers in close cover. Can you get a rifled barrel in the 18.5"? Its an interesting option if you can for gunting boar etc.

Red

Nice shotgun Red. A mate of mine had a Franchi SPAS 12 with the same sort of feature on it (pump or auto) back in the days when we did parctical shotgun comps.

Barrel length isn't such a limiting facor down here Doc. Have a look at a selection of whats on offer down here. Even a 12"!

http://www.guncity.co.nz/pump-action-xidg9876.html

Thanks for your replies chaps. I hear what your saying about length!

J

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Wildfowling in itself isn't the problem
I go goose shooting with 1/4 choke in my semi auto
But they are close, it's low land, in shore 'folwing where the birds aren't more than 40 yards away and 32g No 3 steel shot does very well indeed:D

The distance is the key issue. For true cylinder choke I'd say not more than 25 -30 yards unless you're using solid.

I used to have a multi choke on my mossie when I shot practical but although they work, I'm not convinced they work as well as conventional chokes. That was a while ago though so things may have moved on since then.

Not convinced the length of barrel from 20 to 28 inchs would make a huge amount of difference to accuracy. 20 inchs is a reasonable sight base and with the 'basic' sights on the shotgun anyway you can't expect minute of angle stuff like you can with a rifle

Just a little disclaimer. If anyone in the UK is reading this thinking it sounds like a good idea bear in mind we're replying to a resident of NZ and different rules apply. A 20 inch shotgun needs to be held on an FAC as the minimum barrel length for a 'normal' shotgun is 24 inchs. There are also restrictions on solid shot.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks again! All good stuff!
The Marerick I'm looking at has an Inter-Choke, whatever that is! (haven't looked it up yet) and the 18.5" barrel is smooth, not rifled.
Just as a little extra regarding porkers - A couple of the guys here got this one the other week with a 12ga Beretta with 3 rounds of buckshot. a 205lb Boar (guts out).
Cheers,
J

FILE0007.jpg

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I used to use a mossberg slugster(slide/pump action, with 24 inch barrel) for all my shooting, it was "cylinder", or open choke, as the name suggests, for shooting slugs, i shot everything from clays to practical, from pheasant to duck, a good all rounder.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Further to Buckshot's not (good point Mark :) ), its worth adding that there are also restrictions on rifled barrels on semis and very large multi projectile cartridges (SG is okay on section 2, LG is right on the wire, above LG is section 1 like solid shot)

As others have noted I shoot practical so all my shotgun stuff has to be on my section 1 ticket.

Red

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
All depends on what you want it for. I have shotguns with 18", 20", 26" and 28" barrels. The 18" cylinder bore is loaded with rubber buckshot and kept handy for neighborhood dogs digging under the chicken coop. The 26" over/under is my favorite for all-around hunting. The 28" is a specialized waterfowling gun.

I'm always advocating professional instruction for any firearm. Take a weekend shotgun course before you buy another - you'll be amazed at how much you didn't know, and you'll have a much better idea of what you want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE