Shotgun barrel length

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Canalvoyageur

Aug 4, 2008
Staffordshire
Hi guys, all this talk of length of Barrel on a shot gun, no one has mentioned chamber size ie 2.5" or 2 3/4" or 3" if you want range 32" barrels full choke 3" chambers 1.5 oz load 6 or BB dependant on what you want to kill.
For the Breneke rifled slug 1oz load, best with deer slayer barrel which has a rifled barrel, and can only be held on FC, the 7/8 oz load Remington are best with smooth barrel true cylinder, its all a question of as i say what do you want to kill.
Regards Bill

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You'll find a rifled barrel semi auto is section 5 (normally prohibited item) as it is then effectively a semi automatic centre fire rifle

A single shot or double barrel with a rifled barrel would be a section 1 item

I already do a fair bit of rabbit shooting with our work Beretta semi-auto which I think is about a 26" barrel. The reason for getting something of my own and trying to have a bit of an all-rounder is that I want to be able to shoot rabbits, hares, pigs etc. at close range but still be able to have a crack at ducks and geese too (something I'm just getting in to). I think I'll probably end up with something like this:

http://www.guncity.co.nz/12ga-maverick-88-syn-2x-barrel-combo-xidp178954.html

Cheers,
J

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I think you have been given some good advice on barrel length and shot size by some very experienced shotgunners, and I agree with what they told you. However, Let me say that there is a great deal of wild boar hunting here in the U.S. lately. For reasons that are essentially unknown, the wild pig population has exploded. Most states consider them a detrimental pest and don't even have seasons on them. They are not classified as game animals. But, back to shotguns. While it is true that a twelve gauge has enormous stopping power on soft tissued game. With 00 buckshot, (you are essentially firing about a half of clip of 9mm pistol bullets every time you pull the trigger). There are about 12 pellets of about 35 cal. in a 12ga. shell. But, the frontal area of a hog has a thick armor-like plate of tissue below the skin that can stop or seriously slow down projectiles. You said yourself that "it took 3 rounds of buckshot." IMHO, that is two rounds too many on a dangerous animal. Most people who hunt hogs use high powered rifles. The 30-30 Winchester is about the minimum recommended. If I was going to use a shotgun, I would certainly load it with slugs. A 12 ga. with slugs will stop virtually any animal. The problem is you have the trajectory of a rainbow. That's alright in close cover with short range shots, but poor in open grassy areas. A wounded boar may very well come straight for you. With buckshot you must be close. Very close. Then if he comes after you, you have very little time for a second shot and will probably never get off a third shot. Remember, I'm talking about aimed shots, not three wild panic shots. There is an old saying here, that goes: "carry enough gun." Meaning a gun big enough to get the job done on that particular animal. Err on the safe side.

Thanks for the sound advice Chinkapin. I appreciate all you're saying and I understand exactly what you mean regarding a big hogs armour plated front end! The one in the photo was on the move and I think a couple of broadside shots as it was running by is what brought it down, with one ball going in through the eye, which probably did most of the work. The first shot was 00/SG and the other two were slightly smaller sized buckshot rounds. Most people here consider it was a lucky kill for someone armed with a 12Ga, even with buckshot and at close range. Most folks use something like a .308 centrefire or .357 lever action rather than a shottie. I'd use my .308 Remington 700 if I were going to sit on a hill somewhere and try to shoot them from a distance or my lever action loaded with .357 magnum if I were going to go walking about looking for them, or the 12Ga (yet to buy, obviously) with heavy buckshot or solids. It's very open, tussocky country here with no trees and quite a bit of livestock, so lots of consideration has to be given to where rounds might end up if not on target! They could potentially go quite a way before stopping which is why a 12Ga might be better in some respects.
Sounds like wild pigs are treated the same here as where you are. Hunted all the time and lots of 'em. Lots of people (probably most) here use a few dogs and a pig-sticker to go after them and a gun is an after-though or just for back-up. Crazy!
Thanks for your comments.
Cheers,
J

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Using dogs and then going in with a "pig sticker" knife is sheer madness in my opinion! There are people here who do it but VERY few. I suppose its a real adrenalin rush, but definitely not for me! If you want to get in close, let me suggest an option for you: Get a 45-70 caliber rifle. It shoots a large heavy .45 caliber bullet, at a relatively slow speed. Its penetration ability is unbelievable. In tests they will penetrate about the same as a .450 Winchester elephant rifle. Obviously ammunition selection is critical. There are many articles on the internet about 45-70 ballistics. Check them out. Recoil is not too bad, nothing like the .450 win. Will penetrate stem to stern in a moose. Marlin makes a nice lever action. H. & R. makes a cheap but good single shot. Anyway good luck, and use slugs.

Hi Again,
I went for this in the end. Something sensible. A good old 12 gauge Remington 870, 4 + 1 round capacity, 26" vent-rib barrel. Can't wait to gt out into the field with it now!
Cheers,
J

P3170269.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sweet shottie - absolute classic. Easy to maintain, cannot fail to cycle.

I'd practice racking in the shouder unless you are used to it though. Took me a while not to chuff up point of aim

Red

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Nice choice, Jamie. Probably 8 out of 10 shotgunners incountered here in Kansas are armed with an 870 Rem. 12 ga. It is as close as you can get to a do-it-all one gun solution. Good hunting!

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Hi Again,
I went for this in the end. Something sensible. A good old 12 gauge Remington 870, 4 + 1 round capacity, 26" vent-rib barrel. Can't wait to gt out into the field with it now!
Cheers,
J

P3170269.jpg

Great choice!

I've owned a number of 870s over the years -- including now -- and I can say with complete confidence that it can do pretty much whatever you want a shotgun to do.

God knows there are prettier shotguns out there, but the 870 is like a great pair of work boots -- it won't let you down and will happily surprise you.

Have fun and be safe.

Cheers Guys,
I'm pretty chuffed I found this nice second-hand example because the price and the condition were both about right. Remington have dated it's manufacture as 2006, so it's not too old. They also confirmed it's OK with steel shot, so that's put my mind at rest about that. It even came with the upgrade kit which includes full and improved cylinder chokes, spanner and some RemOil.
I will have to practice racking it in the shoulder, as you suggest Red. I haven't owned a pump gun since the practical shotgun comp days. I use a 12 gauge Beretta semi-auto at work quite a bit, so I suppose there'll be times when I'm standing there wondering why the 870 hasn't reloaded itself! :rolleyes:
It's nice to know I've now got two classic Remington designs - my Model 700 SPSS bolt action .308 and now my Model 870 12Ga pump action. Sweet! :D
Cheers,
J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE