setting up a bug out bag tomorrow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i know various threads have been and gone, but given all the dead links and things.....

if you were helping out a friend with a kit list for a new BOB, PERK, or GOAT bag, what'd be in it?

scanned personal docs, stored how?

water filters? what's the latest since iodine was banned?

the basics, stoves, ruck's sleeping mats, tarps. where're the best deals?

this intended to be used in case of chemical plant gone wrong evacuation, not a zombie apocalypse or teotwaki issue.

best value for money or inexpensive kit for extra points!

discuss....

cheers, and.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
What does GOAT stand for??.

How big a bag is practicable for your friend??

Once they've bugged out where are they going to head?? If the scenario is a chemical plant spill with an evacuation then they are likey going to end up in some form of welfare centre that the LA's are going to provide???

D

DavidBFPO

hello,
Check your PM please.
Regards
David
i know various threads have been and gone, but given all the dead links and things.....

if you were helping out a friend with a kit list for a new BOB, PERK, or GOAT bag, what'd be in it?

scanned personal docs, stored how?

water filters? what's the latest since iodine was banned?

the basics, stoves, ruck's sleeping mats, tarps. where're the best deals?

this intended to be used in case of chemical plant gone wrong evacuation, not a zombie apocalypse or teotwaki issue.

best value for money or inexpensive kit for extra points!

discuss....

cheers, and.

Blackberry

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2012
Cardiff
Scans of all important details/licences laminated.
Knife and a sturdy saw
First Aid Kit
Tent/Tarp
Sleeping bag and bivvy
Firesteel, lighter and cotton wool in dry bag
Cook pot and mill bank bag

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
What does GOAT stand for??.

How big a bag is practicable for your friend??

Once they've bugged out where are they going to head?? If the scenario is a chemical plant spill with an evacuation then they are likey going to end up in some form of welfare centre that the LA's are going to provide???

GOAT= going on a trip, this more of a get you home bag philosophy, it's a terril hoffman concept. you keep a goat bag in your car or similar so you have stuff to get by till you get home. i have spent tens of hours waiting for the AA to get me and my broken down rental truck back home. having simple brew and toilet kit makes all the difference, a book and a blanket are huge bonuses in these circumstances. i know folks who got trapped overnight in their cars in the middle of summer a couple of years ago, with all the flooding in gloucestershire. they'd have willingly paid thousands for a well organised goat bag. (i went off to the bushmoot, so missed all the deprivation caused by lack of water) :lmao: one of my wife's friends was gravely traumatised by the fact that, stuck overnight in the middle of the motorway, she "had to wee in her car"

well, tis actually a couple. so big bag for mr, wee bag for mrs. yes they envisage staying with friends near the town, or local authority shelter.

cheers, and.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ha got you....

I have something similar in the back of the car as I travel from Hamilton to Auckland and back most days. So if stuff happened I'd be ok or at a push could start walking home....

So what your talking about for your friends is bit of overnight kit, change of clothes, Basic FAK, personal Meds, some snacks, Important documents etc...

Stuff like water filters, tarps, tents, knives, etc might be a bit OTT in the scenario envisaged????

udamiano

On a new journey
IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg
IMAG0160.jpg
IMAG0159.jpg
IMAG0164.jpg

Hot Chocolate
Potassium permanganate
Catapult rubber
Glow Sticks
Emergency Strobe
Knife
Paracord
Small compass
snare wire
mini maglight (red light)
water puritabs
small media kit
sharp small knife
Sewing kit and extra needles for leather and me
lighter
Ferro rod
Wetfire tinder
DC4 knife stone
pencil and small note pad
zip-lock bags (x2)
Laveder and Tea tree oil, and Tincture of Iodine (banned or not, Its in there)
2 small flares (red smoke)
9v battery
small amount of carabena's (small ones)
collapsable was bowl (webex one)
whistle
boiled sweets (If i haven't eaten them!)
stock cube (replace regular)
2x Candles
space blanket

other bits get added and remove as, where, and when

hope that helps

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
As this is not TEOTWAWKI and is in the UK it rules out tents, filters and the like. If there is another Bunsfield there would be facilities set up to house the displaced. Whether a camp bed in a school hall or a room in a cheap hotel, the local authorities have civil contingencies teams set up to care for people in the event of a major incident. In most cases (with the exception of serious flooding or other incidents rendering your home unlivable) you could expect to be back home in a few days.

So in my bag would contain;

Small rucksack (25 litre or so)

In my bag -
Hardcopies of vital paperwork for the whole family & house (e.g. birth certificate, passport, house insurance), laminated or in a waterproof bag
Soft copies of all documents, including the vital paperwork and anything elese that may be useful (e.g. wills, property deeds), as well as copies of all family photos. Also recent photos of house, car, bike, etc (anything that may need to be replaced by the insurance company!) Stored on a hardened USB stick. All documents held in a password protected zip file.
Spare house , car & bike keys
Spare bank/credit cards

In each persons' bag -
Laminated contact details sheet. Listing all immediate family and their contact numbers, as well as numbers and addresses for other family & friends outside the area
Cash (£20 or £30)
Change of clothes
Underwear for 2 or 3 days
Warm/waterproof jacket
Gloves
Hat
Trainers/sandels
Small wash kit
Lightweight towel
Phone charger
Torch
Folding knife
Lightweight/2 season sleeping bag
Personal medication (if required)
Small (minor injury) first aid kit
Spare glasses (if required)
Water (only 1 litre or so to tide you over)
Snacks or eat-from-the-bag meals, sufficient for no more than 1 day
Reading book of choice & other things to keep you entertained while waiting for the toxic cloud to dissipate!

As I would hopefully be going home in a couple of days or crashing with family or friends, this kit is only intended to keep us comfortable for a short period. If it's a local problem forcing me out of my home and there are facilities or family/friends I can rely on I wouldn't bother with a tarp, filter or any other outdoorsy kit.

Pillow and toilet paper - Pretty much guarentee that if you end up in a community hall/school gym neither the loo roll or pillows will be comfy to use
Nintendo DS each for the kids - peace and quiet for me and SWMBO
Kindle - peace and quiet for SWMBO
Fleece blankets - extra comfort
Snack food and water - just in case
Wallet - contains drivers licence and money for buying food treats (and getting a hotel room at a push)

I would keep away from carrying any type of sharps as being in an room/area with a group of families anxious about being displaced is probably the last place to whip out something pointy. I imagine the centre staff would probably be a little peeved at me for upsetting others and move my family to the beds next to the toilets..... (it is what I would do)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE