self build kayak plans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
I have been looking at some of the fantastic kayaks built by bcuk members and wondered if anyone out there would be able to help me find some plans to make one of my own?
Any advice or help would be greatly received :)

Thanks, Joely

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
Thanks Southey, I think stitch and glue method will definitely be my approach being a newbie!

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
Really liking the Selway Fisher designs, especially the Wren, but £50 for a set of plans, bit steep i think!

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
ok now I'm leaning towards a prospector design, has anyone made, got or been in one of these?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Hey dude why not give this a look

im building one of these at the moment but so far i have only cut the plywood because it has been too cold for the resin to set!!!:puppy_dog lol
but so far it has gone well:)

i too will post some pictures when things get going again

pete

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
If you are building it in a shelter, have you thought about putting an old 100w light bulb lamp in it to heat it?

You can usuallly rais the temp of the wood high enough that the stuff will set.

We have also found using big halogen lamps will cure it touch dry in half an hour if we are in a hurry, or working on the inside of something. Then we will flip it over and put it over a 100w lamp for the night to finish curing

Havent tried this below -1C, but may give you some Ideas if you are in a hurry.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
not sure no idea, im building it in a barn which seems to stay cool even on sunny days! it did reach 3 degrees on sunday so may have gotten away with it but didnt want to take the risk. on the bottle it said a minimum of 5 degrees and takes two hours to set but when raised to 10 it only takes 25 minutes.

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE