Scouts knife making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
We had a knifemaking camp with our Scouts (10 to 14 year olds) back in February. We got the idea from some Danish scouts and I have done kinifemaking with Explorer scouts (14-18 year olds). They make themselves a small fixed blade knife and sheath. We use Brulletto Trollungen 52mm blades

Knifeblade blanks by Alf Branch, on Flickr

They carved the handles from green wood that we cut down the day before

Handle blanks by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The blades were fitted into a piece of wood and the blade covered to protect the scouts thier balde and knife they were carving with. We use Mora basic wood carving knives.

Knife in progress 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Knife in progress 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

We had a few of them and the knives were done on Saturday

Handles carved 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Handles carved by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Reactions: dwardo and Bishop

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
very cool :) Glad to see scouts making their own knives! low tech but a great activity too. Next lesson is sharpening, if you haven't done that already ;)

I was a leader for a spell 7 or 8 years ago and making knives was the first thing I did with my scouts. We started with bruseletto blades too, but we used seasoned ash and cherry for the handles and the whole process (including sheathes) was done the same way as I do in the workshop and and with students.

I'll be interested to see how the green wood works out for them. Presumably you drilled oversized holes and glued them in rather than burn fitting? and how did the epoxy deal with the moisture (it doesn't like moisture at all!)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
very cool :) Glad to see scouts making their own knives! low tech but a great activity too. Next lesson is sharpening, if you haven't done that already ;)

I was a leader for a spell 7 or 8 years ago and making knives was the first thing I did with my scouts. We started with bruseletto blades too, but we used seasoned ash and cherry for the handles and the whole process (including sheathes) was done the same way as I do in the workshop and and with students.

I'll be interested to see how the green wood works out for them. Presumably you drilled oversized holes and glued them in rather than burn fitting? and how did the epoxy deal with the moisture (it doesn't like moisture at all!)
Thanks.
I remember when you made knives with Scouts.
No glue just a friction fit on a 2mm series of holes and tapped into place. We got the instruction from some Danish Scouts and translated them to English and did some tests. With the right size handle we didn't need to be careful with drying them.

Thats an impressive activity.
Chalkflint
Thanks Chalkflint

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
hmmm. so they are relying on the wood shrinking to hold them firm and potentially a little corrosion acting as a glue. Not a hard use solution, but it'll work :)
Dave yeah We had a think about made some test knives used them and were satisfied it would be ok. It's only a 52mm blade I wouldn't expect a 100mm blade to last long term.
I know at least one has used his a lot and it's going well.
They will get a chance to make another knife in Explorers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE