My Bevel Filing Jig.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I've been using a home-made filing-jig for the last few years now, so i thought i would share my findings with anyone that may be interested. I have cut the bevels of over 20 different knives on it now so i thought it was high time i sang it's praises. Obviously they are slower and far more physically demanding than a belt linisher, but they do have several benefits being cheap,quiet and less messy as the filings are kept very localised (particularly handy for me as i only have the family kitchen to work in! ). With a bit of thought they can be surprisingly efficient and are capable of cutting just about any type of bevel and doing a quality job of it. In my view it is the perfect tool for anyone starting out as a hobbyist maker or with limited work-space.
Mine has slowly evolved over the years, but a simple version can be knocked up from a few pieces of scrap timber and a few nails or screws.

This is mine. It aint pretty, but it is a working tool.

2011-11-16140639.jpg

2011-11-16140652.jpg

The round horizontal bar sets the bevel angle and the blocks at either side are used in conjunction with the pins at the back of the blade blank to set the plunge angle and end of travel for the filing bar.

2011-11-16140617.jpg

The large flat metal plate under the knife slides left or right in a snug channel to maintain an exact distance from the top bar. This helps when removing then returning the blade and when flipping it over to file the other side. Fixed points are the best way i've found to keep the bevels symmetrical.

I use a small parallel bar clamp to achieve symmetry at the plunge, as i found this a particular problem at first. The bar clamp is fitted at the desired angle, then the knife handle is clamped in the jig,on a metal block with the blade end protruding. A round file is attached to the filing bar and the plunge is cut.

111611144022.jpg

111711153243.jpg

30 minutes of filing later and the bevels are done.

111611144443.jpg

2011-11-19102608.jpg

After heat treating the blanks will be clamped back in the jig and the bevels will be finished in the same manner, but instead of a file, a flat bar with ali-oxide paper will be used. The same method can be used for sharpening using diamond hones.

Darren.​

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks guys! It's surprising how well this jig works. I'm going to try a tapered tang on it this year. The beauty of it is that the bevel can be controlled as the cutting is fairly slow compared to a linisher, therefore less mistakes are made. Especially good if you are a first time maker and not used to a belt linisher.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Superb set up mate, i have been looking into making a jig to do my first knife, i shall be copying yours if you dont mind:)

All the best
Dave.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
That is brilliant - how long does the whole process take you? You should sell those.
It takes about half an hour per bevel on a skandi/bushcraft type knife, but i have done a few bowie type knives in 6mm steel and they do take a few hours per bevel. The filing is actually quite therapeutic and i'm not usually in a rush to be honest.Darren.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I was banned from using the linisher after 1 day mate! Linishers,kitchens and women just don't mix! I only make a few knives a year so the jig is all i'm allowed to use! Still, i like using it to be honest. There's just something about it that fulfills me. Maybe just that i'm doing it with my hands. Primeval,i know,but it is satisfying!Darren.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
To be fair, I'd much rather do it by hand for all the above reasons. One slip and it's beggered. I shall endeavour to make this a project mixed with the plans I've got for the wooden one.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I'm only making knives because i enjoy making them to be honest. I've no intention of selling any. I've given them away to my brother and some of my good friends. I've got a cupboard full of them! I've told the dragon, when i die,sell them and use the money to bury me!Darren.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I'm only making knives because i enjoy making them to be honest. I've no intention of selling any. I've given them away to my brother and some of my good friends. I've got a cupboard full of them! I've told the dragon, when i die,sell them and use the money to bury me!Darren.

You should definately sell some, they look great, I'd buy one, even if you sell them cheap you could always treat yourself to some other bits of kit:)

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
I have been meaning to congratulate you on an ingenious solution to knife making on the kitchen worktop:D when I saw it on one of the other channels. Looks well thought out and is certainly effective, I particularly like the plunge cut:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE