Military Issue Tents Only Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
There's been so much rubbish around on various websites and occassionally on here about Military Issue tents I thought I'd start a thread about them. We could have another on bivibags and the like too:lmao::lmao:

Here is a borrowed picture of a tent I own.
http://www.tentsplus.co.uk/4adv.jpg
It's a UK issue
ARCTIC 4 MAN TUNNEL TENT (pitches outer first with huge fibreglass poles-finger thick)
Manufacturer unknown
Material-heavy coated od nylon
Inner Tent-Huge WP bathtub floor with velcro removable patches on the floor to accommodate cooking stoves
Inner a heavy cotton/polyester liner above the bathtub.
Can be zipped together to make bigger tents
Issued mainly to Royal Marines 80's and 90's
Packsize-about 3 x large sleeping bags
Weight around 10kg
Cost around £150-200 new
£100 grade 1

An allround very good basecamp tent, almost bombproof! Very tough tent and able to withstand ANYTHING the weather can throw at us. The only downside I can see in this is the weight and packsize. Apparently these were transported by a pulk in winter in Norway and set up inside huge snow trenches to camouflage the OD colour. I often use this without the inner tent and it's then my perfect bushy shelter.

Here is my US MARINE CORE issue 2 MAN COMBAT TENT
Aug08laidontrip002.jpg

This tent comes with a reversable lightproof fly-woodland on one side and sand on the other.
Manufacturer-DIAMONDBRAND
Current Issue from around 98
An earlier version comes in olive/sand and is made by EUREKA
The inner tent is very lightweight nylon in comparison. Two entrances/one with vestibule.
Comes with EASTON alloy hooped poles and pegs, comes with comprehensive repair kit.
Will withstand constand wind at 40mph with gusts to 50mph
Freestanding
Packs to the size of a NATO rollmat
Weighs just over 4kg
A bulky tent and heavy in comparison to civy versions, but far sturdier, stealthier and made to be used often. Very robust tent. Be careful where you pitch it as you may lose it if you walk too far away!
Very heavy in condensation due to the heavy lightproof fly, but well ventilated options can be used to minimise this.
Expect to pay anything up to around £300 new for this and even second hand because they are so rare, they come close to that aswell.
By far my favourite tent.

What military issue tents do you know about or have/use?

Reactions: santaman2000

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive used the ww2 Brit pup type tent,and have the German flecktarn pup type(shelter halves),and ive seen been up to the US ww2 pup tent,all are cotton canvas(the US vietnam ones are a poly/cotton mix i think, SOF sell them) i like my German one which is meant to be carried by two men,as its a little heavy to lug far for one, but its a solid bit of kit,and you can set it up near a fire,although two people plus kit is a snug fit.It can also be,when split used as a poncho/cape.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Great thread...

French Army 2 man tent....

french%20tent.jpg

Inner is cotton with a sewn in waterproof tub floor. The inner tent breathes easily with little to no condensation. The poles are 2 piece aluminium, no ridge pole. The fly sheet is waterproof nylon and possibly the best part about this tent. The inner tent particularly, is prone to sagging and "bagging", it can be hard to pitch taught once it has bagged and not terribly stable in bad weather.

Poor to adequate 2 man tent and cheap at £30ish on ebay. The fly sheet can be carried and pitched on it's own (with the poles/sticks) as a sort of lightweight tent-shaped tarp and as mentioned, is probably the best thing about this tent.

Last edited:

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Lets not forget the Polish Laavu. Good little tent, if a bit heavy for one.

Does my Canvas Bell Tent (5m diameter) count ? The seller does advertise them as similar to the type used by the US Union forces during their civil war/2nd war of independence*. I believe the British Army used something very similar during the colonial era.

Or are we restricting this to current(ish) issue military tentage ?

Richard

*Please delete as appropriate.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Tents which I use alot:

1. new style pop up two man tent (work one).
2. 9x9 normal and winterised version (has an interior which is white and ruberised)(normally a work one though).
3. recce tent (small one man shelter similar to the Yank two man but even lower profile, camoflaged and only one man) (it is the one I have at rough close).
4. 12 x 12 and others of that ilke.
5. new drash shelter (though work)
6. BFOT (the old type of drash shelter for complexes, through work)

As long as they keep the weather out thats all that matters. I'll try and get pictures of them soon up, but on leave at the minute :)

thereaper101

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2009
South Wales
Thumbs up for the US MARINE CORE issue 2 MAN COMBAT TENT, I have one the same also made by Diamond Brand. Same about the pack size and weight, love the Easton poles / pegs.

Nick

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Use a polish Laavu, great bit of kit for one person if somewhat heavy.
Wouldn't mind a brit army tunnel tent myself or one of the USMC ones, they look pretty good.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Great thread...

French Army 2 man tent....

french%20tent.jpg

Inner is cotton with a sewn in waterproof tub floor. The inner tent breathes easily with little to no condensation. The poles are 2 piece aluminium, no ridge pole. The fly sheet is waterproof nylon and possibly the best part about this tent. The inner tent particularly, is prone to sagging and "bagging", it can be hard to pitch taught once it has bagged and not terribly stable in bad weather.

Poor to adequate 2 man tent and cheap at £30ish on ebay. The fly sheet can be carried and pitched on it's own (with the poles/sticks) as a sort of lightweight shaped tarp and as mentioned, is probably the best thing about this tent.

I keep looking at these martyn. I had the idea that the inner could possibly be set up on its own for summer use via a ridge line? Do you know the weight of it?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I keep looking at these martyn. I had the idea that the inner could possibly be set up on its own for summer use via a ridge line? Do you know the weight of it?

You'd have to sew tabs or loops across the ridge, but I would think it'd be quite nice for that - dunno the weight, but they are not lightweight. If it rained, you'd get soaked. There is also a lot of pegging with these tents as they are walled. A total of 22 pegs for the full tent I think. They are very faffy to erect, especially if they have bagged.

Last edited:

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
2 Man Army mountain tent:) its a copy of the blacks mountain tent and made for the army with velcro removable patches on the floor to accommodate cooking stoves a cotton inner makes for a very warm tent date on the bag is 1988 thats all i no about it :)few pics ;)

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

the poles are set with the guide rope like this :)

1173650069.jpg

HI Keen edge,

what does the nsn label say on your tent? I know this tent from the 90's as the "tent, two man, arctic". Most arctic tents had the snow flap and some had tunnel entrances. The tunnel was meant to keep drafts down when going in and out... totally impractical in the wet. Nice example you have there.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
HI Keen edge,

what does the nsn label say on your tent? I know this tent from the 90's as the "tent, two man, arctic". Most arctic tents had the snow flap and some had tunnel entrances. The tunnel was meant to keep drafts down when going in and out... totally impractical in the wet. Nice example you have there.

i was looking at that, are the 2 tubular vents on the top for putting a chimney from a stove out of?

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
HI Keen edge,

hi buddy were is the lable will have a look later the tent is as new only put up to see what it looked like :)are they any good?

hi buddy were is the lable will have a look later the tent is as new only put up to see what it looked like :)are they any good?
Yes they are great arctic tents for their time. I don't think they would be too great in the wet with a tunnel entrance though. You'll get wet going in and out. But try it and see what you think. I've not used this tent personally only seen them when out and about. It looks like a lightweight nice winter tent. This is the tent that was used by the marines/sf group when the weather botched their attack on Grytvicken harbour. Apparently it was a lifesaver on the glacier.

The label could be anywhere from the bag to the tent itself.

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
Yes they are great arctic tents for their time. I don't think they would be too great in the wet with a tunnel entrance though. You'll get wet going in and out. But try it and see what you think. I've not used this tent personally only seen them when out and about. It looks like a lightweight nice winter tent. This is the tent that was used by the marines/sf group when the weather botched their attack on Grytvicken harbour. Apparently it was a lifesaver on the glacier.

The label could be anywhere from the bag to the tent itself.
cool on the bag it says

BAG TENT

132-4125

B@N SPORTS

CT2A/17G7 2 :)

In the wet i think i would tie the bottom and pull the top out to form a sort of hood may work ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE