Issue Basha's, do they come in different sizes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Do the issue Basha's come in different sizes? Mates asked me to get him one. What's the going price?

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I've never seen issue ones in different sizes only different styles.

Poncho - with hood (58 pattern stylee)
Green - sheet, about 1.8 m x 2m rectangle shape. After that they just changed it to DPM.

Done 20 years so have seen a few.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I've never seen issue ones in different sizes only different styles.

Poncho - with hood (58 pattern stylee)
Green - sheet, about 1.8 m x 2m rectangle shape. After that they just changed it to DPM.

Done 20 years so have seen a few.

+1 the Brit ones are all the same size & design.

I think it depends on his budget, you can pick up the desert ones for very little compared to the current MTP. Very good kit when rigged well.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for the info/replies gentlemen, as for pattern DPM, OG or MTP would be fine. I just don't want to break the bank getting him one.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
They are pretty cheap, paid just under 30 quid for mine.

Just be aware, they are bloomin' 'eavy as tarps go. I have one, but even with 2mm dyneema guys, it's best part of 1kg. Very durable, and you can use it as a stretcher. But it is heavy.

I've not seen an OG basha for a while, the DPM ones are about, but the MTP and desert ones are the most easy to buy these days, at opposite ends of the price spectrum tho.

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
2lb is hardly heavy.

I think that may be a question of perspective. Just stuck my issue basha on the scales - 1kg. My RAB siltarp 1 is 198g. My Flecktarn tarp is 450g. The Alpkit Rig 3.5 is 280g.

I could carry all three for the same weight as the issue basha.

Julia

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I think that may be a question of perspective. Just stuck my issue basha on the scales - 1kg. My RAB siltarp 1 is 198g. My Flecktarn tarp is 450g. The Alpkit Rig 3.5 is 280g.

I could carry all three for the same weight as the issue basha.

Julia

But the issue tarp will take more weight, rain, heavy wind and use. If you have a half litre of water that's 500g !

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
But the issue tarp will take more weight, rain, heavy wind and use. If you have a half litre of water that's 500g !

Yep. This is the standard Ultra light vs "conventional"[1]. I could wear thicker trousers, use heavier boots, carry a thicker tarp, and a heavier backpack. But then I wouldn't be able to walk as far in as short a time.

Does it need to be take more weight? do you often need to use it as a stretcher? The wind resistance is as much in the shape of the pitch as it is in the tarp. How big a hydrostatic head do you need? 1500mm is considered waterproof. Unless you are leaning on the fabric on wet ground, 1500mm is enough. The RAB siltarp is advertised as having at least 2000mm.

This summer I have been trying to lighten my backpack from 13kg dry weight, with an aim of getting to 7.5kg. So far, I shed 800g by switching from the issue basha to the siltarp 1. I shed 800g by swapping my backpack for a lighter model. It's all adding up.

Julia

[1] Can't think of a suitable alternative term.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
On a survival course I did last year one of the instructors set up his issue Basha as a hammock shelter. He used half to lie on then the other half as a lean too over him ( almost like a diamond shape).

I keep meaning to try this out as it seemed to work really well. You could probably only do this with an issue Basha though as a lightweight one would tear.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
On a survival course I did last year one of the instructors set up his issue Basha as a hammock shelter. He used half to lie on then the other half as a lean too over him ( almost like a diamond shape).

I keep meaning to try this out as it seemed to work really well. You could probably only do this with an issue Basha though as a lightweight one would tear.

I'm sure there are others with the strength, but of those I have, I think the issue basha is the only one I would try it with.

Not sure it's enough to justify the extra 800g tho... I've been pondering if it's possible to make a bed using the issue basha and a couple of long poles... Have't tried it yet.

Julia

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I'm sure there are others with the strength, but of those I have, I think the issue basha is the only one I would try it with.

Not sure it's enough to justify the extra 800g tho... I've been pondering if it's possible to make a bed using the issue basha and a couple of long poles... Have't tried it yet.

Julia

Agreed, I wouldn't want to trash an expensive tarp by lying on it either! I don't think it would be too difficult to make a bed you could maybe put a karabiner though the eyelets to make a tube after that it would just need bracing.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
MTP prices are ridiculous and picked up an older DPM one for £25 a few years ago.
Though heavy tipping the scales around 900g they are remarkably tough pieces of kit and highly versatile.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
They do actually come in different sizes. The old ones are, as mentioned, about 2.0m x 1.8m.

I have two more recent ones that are both about 2.4m x 2.1m.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
In my experience of the issue Basha (both in MTP and DPM ) both are a useful cover but too small for a hammock in bad weather.

Having been caught particularly in the tail end of Hurricane Bertha at Bushmoot I and the kids Hammocks and Sleeping Bags were soaked.

I sold the lot, save one DPM that we had patched due to an ember hole and now the kids have DD XL Tarps at 4.5 x 3 and my Bilmo Canvas Tarp 4m x 3m arrived yesterday to go with my Wynnchester Adventure Bag.

I bloody hate sleeping wet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE