How do you number 2?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Hello there.

I was just wondering how you lovely people go about relieving yourselves in the wild. I'm particularly interested in methods of disposing of your solids. I was at Brockwell at the weekend and did my first wild number 2 and was wondering what you guys look for in a spot. Do you lean on something, sit and dangle, or simply squat? How wide and deep do you dig, if at all? Bury or burn the paper, or just use leaves? I don't like the TABOO vibe this topic has so I thought I'd throw it out there. Probably should have done a search actually.

Anyway, I look forward to your hints, tips, and diagrams haha.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I dig a hole usually with a stick, well away from camp, footpaths and any water courses. I like a back rest or at least something to grab hold of if possible, I find it helps with the thrusting :)

Once the deed is done it's a clean up with paper and a wet wipe, a squirt of hand sanitiser and job(by) done :) Always burn the paper and then once it's gone I bury my treasure and mark with two crossed sticks.

I remember when I used to go camping as a kid and I would suck it back up until I got home, I find it quite exhilarating in my later years though.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Nice, thanks for the detail Shewie. :lmao: but don't ever use the word *thrusting* in this context again.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was at Brockwell woods too last week with wife and kids. The kids used a hole I dug for them quite happily for #1 & #2's. Luckily through years of online gaming I have amazing bowel control :p and didn't go whilst at Brockwell, wish I had as have yet to experience the wild poo.

What is the etiquette of burning the paper? If you have camp fire do you burn it there or just use a lighter and burn it in the hole ? I just burned all ours on the campfire as we were not using it for cooking at the time.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was at Brockwell woods too last week with wife and kids. The kids used a hole I dug for them quite happily for #1 & #2's. Luckily through years of online gaming I have amazing bowel control :p and didn't go whilst at Brockwell, wish I had as have yet to experience the wild poo.

What is the etiquette of burning the paper? If you have camp fire do you burn it there or just use a lighter and burn it in the hole ? I just burned all ours on the campfire as we were not using it for cooking at the time.

I've been on courses where they ask you to burn it in the communal fire but to be honest I rather not get a lungful of somebody else's doings

I have a lighter in poop bag for burning it in situ

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
You can by biodegradeable paper which you can just bury with the No. 2 as a wee companion. Saves you having to do the viking funeral bit. :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can by biodegradeable paper which you can just bury with the No. 2 as a wee companion. Saves you having to do the viking funeral bit. :)

That's the most fun bit though.

Be careful and never use spagnum moss. You'll be picking bits of stick out of your butt all day. They really work their way right up too and it makes for a really uncomfortable time. The only way I could get rid of them was when I got home and with a bidet. But for days after, you can still feel something lodged up there.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
That's the most fun bit though.

Be careful and never use spagnum moss. You'll be picking bits of stick out of your butt all day. They really work their way right up too and it makes for a really uncomfortable time. The only way I could get rid of them was when I got home and with a bidet. But for days after, you can still feel something lodged up there.

Ewwwwwwww!! :)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I can never be bothered to be prepared and just squat down, do the deed, then wipe with grass of a leaf if it is available.

Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Find a tree that has fallen and is resting on its branches so it lies a foot or two above the ground. I dig a whole on the other side of the fallen tree so I can sit down as if I were on a bench. #2 falls into the hole I'm seated over, it and my toilet paper gets buried in the ground. Make sure you're at least 100 yards from any water source and you should be good to go. Its nicer to use biodegradable toilet paper but all TP will degrade into nothing when buried in the earth. I use the same spot year after year and have never dug up any paper from the year before.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
instead of using paper you can drag yourself like dog with worms over a grassy area. its the environmentally friendly option.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I was greeted by this first thing this morning and it made me smile. I'm a fan of cutting of the top layer of turf, digging down having a jobby then toilet paper on top burn if poss, layer on the removed soil and replace turf. Marking it with a stick optional.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Ok say for example you’re a frequent wiper and use lots of bog roll is it the same process of burn after wiping or would a few wet wipes then paper be a better tactical assault if so surely wet wipes then wont burn?

Also if your squatting over a log when you dump you tend to pee at the same time and I would have thought you would end up pissing on your cloths or boots???

Few other threads relating to this:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21223
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71131

On a plus note this is a great book to read about the subject:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-****-Wo...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=0898153190

Last edited:

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Have a wee first, scrape hole, squat, do the business, wipe with free kfc wipes (kept in wallet at all times), burn wipe, cover scrape and carry on with your day!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE