Hiking compass from Lidl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

ex member coconino

I spotted that this compass will be in Lidl from next Monday. I presume it will be what one would expect for £3.99, but is it even worth it for a back-up, or just a complete waste of money?

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
probably pretty bad. I've always found non-liquid filled compasses to vary wildly intheir accuracy. For a few quid more, check out ebay for some decent silva compasses.

E

ex member coconino

Well, I'll have a look at it on Monday and report back. I suspect it's junk, but I've had the odd thing from Lidl which has turned out to be worthwhile. They do seem to sell the oddest things though, my local one has stacks of horse blankets at the moment... in Brixton.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
I have a very similar compass to that I picked it up a good few years ago when I was a young 'un mainly because it was OD :rolleyes:
Its not something I would use to navigate I'd just go with a decent baseplate compass.

Its ok quality though and does point north, so possibly a cheap introduction to lensatic compasses? I would take a known compass to check it does know north and south though :p

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I got one of these from Lidl a few years ago. It's not worth wasting your money on, I wouldn't even use it as a back up as it is pretty innacurate.

E

ex member coconino

I got one of these from Lidl a few years ago. It's not worth wasting your money on, I wouldn't even use it as a back up as it is pretty innacurate.

Thank you for wasting your money so others don't have to! And thanks to be benefit of your experience I'll give this one the swerve.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Well, I'll have a look at it on Monday and report back. I suspect it's junk, but I've had the odd thing from Lidl which has turned out to be worthwhile. They do seem to sell the oddest things though, my local one has stacks of horse blankets at the moment... in Brixton.

Heheh - I used to shop there as lived just up the road in the Blenheim estate - an interesting experience. Always some kind of drama, fights kicking off in the queue etc. I loved Brixton, but am now very happy in the Highlands.

E

ex member coconino

Hey ex neighbour! Yes, I know Blenheim estate well. I love Brixton too, but probably only because I get out to the woods as often as I do.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I looked at these the last time they stocked them - plastic rubbish - which is a shame because you can get some decent stuff from Lidl sometimes.

BTW - what is it with Lidl and the horse blankets? They might sell some where I am (although not that many), but Brixton!?

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
its a lensatic compass -_- i have one there only the cheap ones are bad if you are atfer a lensatic compass get a metal one but it would be useless for some one who doesn know how to use them ^^

i do and i neve gotten lost but one my baseplate ones have got me lost

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE