Double Edge Spoon to right handed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Ok a quick question perhaps,

A while back i fancied a go at spoon carving, being "wise" i got a double edged spoon knife thinking why would you only want one edge when you can have both for super dooper spooning...

anyway i soon found out that you cant apply pressure with your thumb to the knife, i was going to sell/trade(bin) it until someone said at Rough Close you can grind of the side you don't need.

Ive got a Aldi bench grinder so can do it on this

A) do i need to be carefull to not over heat on doing this
B) is it a good idea or not
C) may be obvious but if im right handed and if i hold the knife crook up (may need a pic) which edge is best ground off.

D) out of curiosity what is a double edged spoon knife useful for before i attack it.

Thanks in advance
Stoo.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Would it not be easier just taking it steady with a hand file Stoo ?

I've got the Frosts double sided and it's tries to bite me quite often, but I find drawing it towards me it the most efficient so if anything take off the opposite edge. I've not been shown how to use one properly and I hold it with a full grip with my palm facing upwards rather than using my thumbs.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
A,yes be careful not to overheat.You may draw the temper out.If you grind it off do it alittle at a time dipping it in water to keep it cool.If it starts to change colour(straw/blue)its overheating.

B,if you like your thumbs uncut, yes.

C,The side facing away from you.

D,I have no idea.

Im left handed and i use a righthanded spoonknife pushing away from myself using my right thumb but thats just my technique...many ways to skin a cat.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I found that after using right handers for a while I needed to get some lefties to cope with certain areas evenly.

Having said that I have a frosts double edge & find it difficult to get on with. it is the shape of the curve that bothers me though. I find I very seldom use my thumb on the back of them anyway - strait whittlers I find I use the thumb of my 'off' hand to brace against alot though.

Each to their own indeed...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Your not the only one to do that :rolleyes: You will probably end up buying a new one as it's really not possible to grind it down to a comfortable thickness without drastically changing the temper and shape.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I love my double sided crook knife, I had it altered so the tip was not in the way and the double bevel smoothed off, but I'd not be without mine. I'm a lefty, and have both left and right handed crook knives, but the double is the one I'd pick for awkward internal angles on the cup I made.

Your not the only one to do that :rolleyes: You will probably end up buying a new one as it's really not possible to grind it down to a comfortable thickness without drastically changing the temper and shape.

cant say if it improves them or not but it should be fairly easy to grind the bevel of even if you get it to colour as long as it dosnt go near the remaining cutting edge it will be fine and a quick dip will soon stop the heat

Ive only handled one once and it seemed a big cumbersome tool tho all Frosts spoon knives seem that way to me :rolleyes::D.

i keep meaning to get a frost and havea go at Modding it but its quicker to make a blade that works from scratch :eek::D

ATB
Duncan

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
get an old oilstone from the carboot and give it some elbow grease (old oilstone because you're gonna wear a lot of the stone away) it only takes about ten minutes to get it smooth enough to push with your thumb but a little longer to get down to the middle of the blade (i started flattening one side of mine about 2 or 3 years ago, it's getting pretty close now!) same as most things with bushcraft little and often is the way, everytime you use it/sharpen it just spend ten minutes flattening the other side and it doesn't seem like any effort at all. as for which edge to flatten, i've no idea at all, still can't decide which way up i prefer using the thing, swings and roundabouts IMO.
grinder! on a knife blade! heresy!

cheers

stuart

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
This is how I use the mora hook knifes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Jl67qoQIA
I find the palm up grip to be far more versatile, much safer, and much less tiring than a potato peeler grip, (thumb reinforced or otherwise). It is quick too, the chips are normally 2 to 3 mm thick in green wood if the edge is good and sharp....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This is how I use the mora hook knifes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Jl67qoQIA
I find the palm up grip to be far more versatile, much safer, and much less tiring than a potato peeler grip, (thumb reinforced or otherwise). It is quick too, the chips are normally 2 to 3 mm thick in green wood if the edge is good and sharp....

That's good to see somebody else doing it like that, I kind of fudged it to start with and found the leverage palm up suited me much better. Also trying to keep the chips small helps. I really need to get myself booked on one of Robins courses and learn how to use one properly though.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Thanks for the comments and ideas guys the video was certainly interesting maybe ive been going about it the wrong way, ill give it a got like that and maybe buy another knife seems a shame to grind it.

Ive heard good things about robins courses but there all mid week this year think last year they where over weekends, which would suite me better not having to take as much leave from work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE