1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dandelion Dolmas

Discussion in 'Lovely Grub' started by franglais, Jun 28, 2013.

1. franglais

franglais Tenderfoot

There are lot of large dandelion leaves at the moment, so I thought I'd pass on this recipe I was given by a Greek chap who used to come into the community garden I worked in, dolmas are a simple dish of rice wrapped in vine leaves traditionally, the Greek Cypriots that moved to London adapted the recipe and used dandelion leaves. The large leaves should be pickled or bottled in olive oil first, they will keep for ages, but can be used after a few weeks, boil up some risotto rice, you can have it plain or spice it up however you want, sorrel is available at the moment and will give the dolmas a lemony kick, once the rice has cooled place them in the dandelion leaves and roll them, seal the ends also, they should be around 3"-4" long and about 1" thick, hold them together with toothpicks and cool them in the fridge.

2. falling rain

falling rain Native

Ooohh like the sound of that! will give this a go definately. Thanks for the post.

3. Elen Sentier

Elen Sentier Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Nice one. Hubby loves dandelion leaves so will pass it on to him.

4. mousey

mousey Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

The roots can be dried, chopped, roasted then ground to produce a 'coffee'.

5. Goatboy

Goatboy Full Member

Very much a "Coffee" in inverted comas, I'd call it more a hot coloured drink. Not necessarily unpleasant but not coffee. Like Chicory - now that is unpleasant.:)