Canvas stool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Far North bushcraft YouTube channel showed off a canvas stool project with measurements. As I'm off to Finland with Wayne Jones (forest knights bushcraft expedition - still a few spots left!) I thought it'd be nice not to sit on the floor, but have a very lightweight stool which was airline friendly.

The first was pretty scruffy due to me working out the settings and other issues around the bonded nylon thread tearing. Turned out I needed a 110/18 singer needle with a groove to enable the thread to not tear after every 8th stitch!

The 1st was ok after the change of needle, but was a bit messy. Both (Inc 2nd pictured below) I made relied on a single flap of fabric. This did not work out as you can see by the attached photos. The canvas ripped on its 2nd use.

The 3rd I sewed a hem for strength in the corners. This worked well and greatly increased the strength
20020f88e1a2fea7939f1d1271ec2c2e.jpg
a34dc71d9a0b64e8c023be7a13e7a704.jpg
74abd421264bfd551759db9e58afa685.jpg
fa13c5eba5cc4a409ab3e7ede3117499.jpg
10ad010c07baa23ab81863f9652c44a7.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Erbswurst

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice work!
These stools are good for short time use - but I need a chair with a back if I am going to get seriously relaxed... leaning one up by a tree works to a good degree :)

Reactions: Nice65 and tim_n

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Nice work!
These stools are good for short time use - but I need a chair with a back if I am going to get seriously relaxed... leaning one up by a tree works to a good degree :)
I was "torn" between this and a hammock chair, but trying to keep bulk down so it's either one or t'other!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To help stop the legs digging into the ground I have found that a cord tied between the feet (clove hitches on each leg) so that it is tight when the legs are spread works quite well - it also helps take some strain off the seat "pockets" by not allowing the upper ends of the tripod to "overspread" under load....

Reactions: Erbswurst and tim_n

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
To help stop the legs digging into the ground I have found that a cord tied between the feet (clove hitches on each leg) so that it is tight when the legs are spread works quite well - it also helps take some strain off the seat "pockets" by not allowing the upper ends of the tripod to "overspread" under load....
Good tip that! Thanks

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I tried to make one of these last summer. It was made very quickly the night before a trip very late at night and basically thrown together.
First try at assembly I didn't use strong enough cordage... ended up on the floor.

Second attempt at assembly one of the the sticks broke... ended up on the floor.

Third attempt at assembly cordage held, sticks held, but stitching failed... ended up on the floor.

Fourth attempt.. went and bought a camp chair! :) :) :)

I will have a go at making another one this year as the bruising has now gone. Steep learning curve!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do you think that the fabric of normal polycotton trousers would be strong enough?

I think about making one
and landing on the floor.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Can you double it over? Don't forget to round over the sticks...!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'd say use cotton canvas like deck chair material or perhaps repurpose an old camping chair seat? It needs to be strong to support your weight. Also use a very strong thread. One that you cannot break with your hands, and is a decent thickness. Otherwise the stitching will fail..... talking from experience! I will be double stitching my next one. ie two rows of stitching for each hem. I realy don't want to end up on the floor again!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I'm using nylon bonded thread. I double stitched the hems and reinforced each "joint" by going over it two or three times. Good luck stitching four layers of canvas on a standard machine. I used a manual crank 1938-40 201 singer.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Mine is an old hand crank singer too. I'm thinking of using a leather sewing needle as I picked up a pack for a few pence at a charity shop. They are made to cut through the leather so I figure they might work on the deck chair material which I used last time, as I just about managed with a normal needle as long as I took care and went slow on the thicker sections.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE