double bitted hawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Another recent axe. I was asked to make a couple of double bitted hawks for an axe thrower last year. I made two (just the heads) and they were a complete PITA so won't be making any more. Unfortunately the lack of total symetry meant that they didn't throw as well as the chap liked (personally I don't notice the difference, but then I'm not that accurate), so I had them back from him. I fitted a handle to this one on the assumption that somebody will love it for what it is. Thought I would show it here before it gets put aside in a cupboard never to be seen again...

littledoublebitweb.jpg

doublebittop.jpg

Vital stats:

Head: 7 1/2" long with 3" cutting edges, made from EN9 spring steel.
Handle: 20" of English Ash
Total Weight: 734g

The assymetry means that one blade is about 1/2" higher than the other. I could reforge it, but to be honest I really cannot be bothered with that much swearing again :rolleyes:

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
If he was that good he could take half inch into account......snigger snigger snigger.....only kidding who ever he is.I think it looks nice and bet I'd not notice any asymmetry.Mojo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE