throwing knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
just thought id share my latest project with you guys..
in my metal work lessons i have pretty much free reigns in the forge so i decided to make a throwing knife,
so i started byt sketching on bits of paper. in the end i came up with something like this but double edged and without the hole in the hande.
Secret_Ninja_Throwing_Knife_Set.jpg

another thing i decided to try on this project was case hardening. so i cut the shape out from mild steel and ground the edge on, then hardened and finished it.
<pics coming>

tried it on a tree stump behind the forge and it worke perfectly. to my surprise the steel really hardened substantially and i found it a lot harder to grind after the hardening.

Shows the quality of mild steel coming out the mills today if it hardens appreciably :D

not really Mild dosnt harden (yes i know super quench but its still not much onthe RC ) but he says he case hardened it which increases the Carbon content if the surface layer so you can get a hardening with the bevels making it thin its possible the carbon penatrated fully from both sides

ATB

Duncan

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
please be very careful making these in school/college you could find yourself and your teacher in a lot of trouble, potentially you both wont be there for long if you get caught with these in your bag !!!! My advice would be to work on these at home not in a place of education. Sorry to be a party pooper but it's not worth getting in to trouble for a DIY project.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
not really Mild dosnt harden (yes i know super quench but its still not much onthe RC )...

I didn't see that he was case hardening. However supposedly mild steel does harden these days unless you get something specific (like ASE 1010). One engineer/smith claims it's due to the odd bit of tool steel making its way into the scrap remelts. Not blade hardness, but certainly enough to worry about if you're doing much cold hand work after forging.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE