Cairngorms walking maps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Harveys maps are the best-the mountain rescue teams use them. They are wax coated, pretty light and not too much money.
They don't cover a large area though, its easy to walk off them so you may need a few.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
If you are just "walking" or even doing a few hills (assuming you are not contemplating a winter expedition) the bog standard OS 1:50,000's will stand you in good stead, although you will might need 2 for the area you mention, depending on your borders (or go online with OS and order up a single map centred on where you plan to be). OS usually do a 3 for 2 deal.

Their 1:25,000's are a bit too detailed IMHO if you are just doing general walking.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Another vote for Harveys. They are superb and the BMC Mountain map of the area is a triumph. It's light weight, fantastically clear and printed on a waterproof plastic stuff - so much better than the armour-plated O.S. laminated equivalents. The scale of map that you take will depend on the season in which you walk. I tend to use 1:25 000 in summer when the detail on the map is visible, and therefore usable, on the ground; in winter, when a good deal of that detail is masked by snow and drifts, the 1:40 000 (Harveys) or 1:50 000 (O.S.) are perfectly adequate. It's worth mentioning that the BMC are now offering a Silva Type 4 compass that has the 1:40 000 roamer scale on it, making it that bit easier to work out coordinates accurately.

To my mind, that whole area - the mountains, tops, valleys and Caledonian forest - is one of the most beautiful areas in the whole of the U.K.. You're sure to have a superb time up there. Enjoy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE