advice on a lightweight solo tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
the vango tempest 200 is a good little tent. We actually have the 300 for 2 of us, but it'll take your rucksacks in the entrance area (allbeit blocking you in if its a big pack). Would recommend checking it out at least.

I would second this. The tempest 200 is a good tent but although very spacious for 1 person and gear it weighs 2.65kg and I am now moving to a bivvy and tarp. I would say if you buy any Vango tent then replace the standard aluminium pegs because they are terribly weak and get bent very easily.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
im in a similar situation, my berghaus vulcan weighs about 3kg (4kg with sidepouches!) I love it but if im bimbling about on foot in places like the lakes it becomes a pain in the ****. My glendale 65 weighs in at 1.1kg with the frame removed :) much more like it for that sort of thing!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
rich your a star mate- that looks perfect, I guess the weight is lost with it being a single skin which is good, v.light for a 2 berth!

does anybody know what the shangri la 1 is like? seems to be going for 80 squids at most places, cant find how much it weighs though?

The shangri la is an excellent bit of kit if it suit what you are going to use it for.
The hydrostatic head is below that recommended for this country and you need to buy the nest to make a completely sealed tent ,this raises the price considerably.
Having said all that I am considering one.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
Get the Gelert solo tent, I have and its brilliant. It so much smaller than I thought it would be and is about 1.3kg. Used it last month in bad wind and rain and I had no problems. :)

I've got the gelert too and love it. It is very small, minimal pack room, and my head and feet seem to reach the ends (i'm only 5' 9"!) but thats part of what i like. It's unobtrusive erected and small and light to carry. Olive too although you might want to colour the ropes

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I have ordered the 2010 gelert tent I thought why not at 30 quid posted and only 1.5kg for a double skin. Will let you all know how I get on!!! thanks for all the replies they have been really helpful :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE