dry food suggestion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I'm away for a couple of nights in and around langdale this weekend so I raided the shelves of asda for dry carbs. Came accross this stuff, kids dry pasta shells.

FFFF3.jpg

I know it might seem strange at first but because the shells are thinner it cooks a good 2-8 minutes faster than any other pasta I found, even stuff like spaghetti. Pretty much all the other pasta was rated at 10mins or above boil time, this stuff was put at 7-8mins. So It will hopefully help save on fuel which can be a problem with dry food like this, especially when Im going to be using a meths burner. Small things add up to big ones.

cheers

J

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There are a lot of express pasta in supermarkets but not seen a wholewheat one before. You can get standard express pasta everywhere these days. Even express spaghetti too. Takes about 4 mins to cook IIRC. it looks like normal spag but has three grooves in it so there is more surface area for hot water contact and less thickness as a result.

You do know about cosy cooking? Boil water (actually you don't need a full rolling boil but once bubbles start to appear at the base of the pan it is hot enough) then put the pan, water and pasta into a cosy made of foiled bubble wrap (can buy from BPL-UK). The insulation keeps the heat in well and the pasta cooks (even standard pasta) without any meths being used to simmer it. You can get on with other tasks while it is cooking. It will take longer but if you are serious about saving weight then time is a small sacrifice. Of course the cosy weighs something so you have to be sure the fuel weight counters it. I am sure it will after a couple of meals as they are light. Other options are using clothing but of course make sure any fabric in contact with the hot pan won't melt. Obvious but had to be said.

Personally I use dehydrated meals when weight watching (double portions of course). I buy in bulk with friends from www.outdoorsgrub.co.uk which is quite a good supplier. Obviously more expensive but some of the food is really nice. Most expensive and most tasty is the Reiter Expedition foods but the MX3 brand is also good but small in single packs. They pack well too as you can just squash them into any small gap in the sack. Still have a box of different meals somewhere. Keep for ages so probably save for next year now. Just avoid Kathmandu Curry. Seriously dry and tastless IMHO.

The packets of uncle bens microwave rice cooks up in no time in a pan with a very small amount of water. Ideal for quick and easy meals. There is also a whole selection of different varieties so you dont get bored with plain rice all the time. I use them quite often.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
cous cous works well just bring the water to the boil toss it in then fluff up with a fork. I know other people who do pasta in a thermos flask but i suppose thats extra weight...but they put it in whilst making a brew during a stop then continue walking then when they get to camp its already cooked not tried it myself though i just carry more than enough meths.. super noodle butties are a winner plenty of carbs

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Bachelors savoury rice and pasta 'n' Sauce are both awesome trail foods, tasty and easy to cook. Add some chorizo sausage which also travels well and ya got a delicious dinner!

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
I used to think I was being so weight conscious using as much dried food as possible. Then the penny dropped that I had to rehydrate the stuff with exactly the same amount and weight of water as had been removed.

Still use it quite a lot but don't feel quite so clever about it as the majority of my camping is well away from easy water!

:(

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
well guys the noodles were a treat used 150ml of meths for 6 packets of noodles and 4 cups of tea, water was readily available close by so there were no worries there. Only food I had taken was noodles, biscuits and 4 small choc bars. Quite suprised how far that lot got me I had one packet of noodles and a choc bar left over, quite suprised how long it all lasted me. I usually take a load of food!

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
On the subject of couscous , some if not all can be rehydrated with cold water , it just takes a little longer .
Just followed one of the recipies on a paket for a couscous salid the other day.
This makes it quite useful if you cannot boil water for any reason

MB

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
A couple of cheap chinese noobles from a supermarket, Primula cheese, tins of tuna, Tabasco sauce and garlic salt. A taste sensation especially after a hard day tabbing around the badlands and full of fuel.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all try the mug shots from asda / morrisons just add the water when its boiled leave for 5 mins stir and eat lots of variaties regards dave

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Sainbury's instant/dehydrated mash takes no cooking and costs less than £1 a box. One box has 4x packets each making up to (I think) 600g.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE