dry food suggestion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
cheers for that matt, not sure If I would fancy eating just mash but I think for one meal a day it would be more than satisfactory, cheers.

J

Add dried onion and a little tinned beef or spam and you have a tasty beef or spam hash.

Form into patties and fry and you have potato cakes.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
You could try the 'cosy' method of cooking. Get hold of some alumised bubble wrap type stuff, heat the water for rice / pasta, then remove from the heat and wrap in the insulation. Then you can get on and make a brew / heat the other half of the meal while it cooks. You really cut down on your fuel use with this sort of operation.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I figured out this summer that tortellini (I should have known better as an Italian) are ideal dry food. They are just mini units packed with carbs, proteins & fat. Easy to make, tasty (no sauce needed) and lightweight. Take the meat filled tortellini and you'll be OK.

I'm another couscous fan - no other dried food that I know of gives you more bang for your buck. The required amount of water (and therefore fuel to boil it) is minimal and no simmering required.

For example a typical serving of flavoured couscous (Supermarkets own brand or "designer" stuff like Ainsley Harriott's) require you to bring about 150ml (about a third of a pint) of water to a boil, chuck in the couscous, stir with optional olive oil and remove from the heat. Put the lid on your pot, wait 10 minutes and voila! - I also like to stir in some tinned fish in tomato sauce at this stage.

Incidentally, Ainsley Harriot does other dried ready meals like Bulgar Wheat and Dhal Lentils etc (No relation or connection by the way). These typically require about a 20 minute simmer though - I tried the Spelt one last weekend and it was dee-freakin'-licious!!

Last edited:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I find the water needed with coucous is about 1:1 -- one 'measure' of couscous, one measure of water. Makes life simple (I like simple).

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
soupa.jpg

I've had a nosy down the World Food's aisle at our local Tesco this morning, I bought a couple of sachets of these,
I think they're Polish, Chicken and pasta, at 32p a pop, should be fun. The sachet weight is 52g

Edit. Ignore the date on the photo, need to reset it after installing fresh batteries lol

Last edited:

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
not bad, I take it they are hydrated?

No :)

Think cup a soup but bigger. Some of the flavours are 500ml + (tells you on the back) of cold water and slowly bring up to heat and stir until done.

If there's a Chinese mini market near you, you'll do well to check out the U Dong/Ramen noodle packs. Loads of variety, great flavours and not much dollar.

Use them loads at home and out and about.

PS the soups are Polish, loads of flavours in that range too.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE