Firesteel / DC4 Pancake.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

Well I finally got around to getting some basic leather working gear along with some leather from Le Prevo.
Before cutting into the new leather, something I'm still a bit nervous about :eek: , I thought it best to try out the tools on some reclaimed leather from charity shop handbags.

I made this combo pouch , modeled along the lines of a pancake pistol holster and used wet formed pouches.

DSC02051Small.jpg

The two small pouches where first sewn to the front piece which in turn was sewn to the back, my first time doing proper saddle stitch :rolleyes: .

DSC02057Small.jpg

The firesteel pouch has plenty of room around the actual steel part and also an eyelet hole for ventilation. I've read a few comments on how a steel can corrode in a humid atmosphere, so it might turn out to be not such a good idea to keep one in a pouch :11doh: .

DSC02061Small.jpg

This was a kind of prototype, I think something similar, perhaps with a Victorinox Farmer and a DC 3 stone would be better :bluThinki .

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Pete.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats ....original...beautifully executed & practical.

I can imagine a lot of people liking a presonal version of such a thing - be it penknife and stone, firesteel and penknife etc.

Very, very nice

Red

pwb

Thanks guys :) .

First time using proper tools ,stitch groover , edge beveler etc.
They make a big difference in the finished look, that and proper dye which hides a multitude of mistakes :rolleyes: .

I have made four or five small pouches in the past, but was never that happy with them.

Pete.

very nice and encouraging
ive ordered a set of stuff from leprevo to try and cover the increasing pile of knives im making :D
( God the online system is a pain took 4 phone calls over a week to sort it out )

i want to do a similer thing ( a few small items on ome back )
how did you do the forming was it pressed over a Wood form ?? to get the deep pocket for the steel etc

ATB

Duncan

pwb

Thanks everyone.
It's good making things but it's even better when you've got somewhere to share you're handy work :) .

very nice and encouraging
ive ordered a set of stuff from leprevo to try and cover the increasing pile of knives im making :D
( God the online system is a pain took 4 phone calls over a week to sort it out )

i want to do a similer thing ( a few small items on ome back )
how did you do the forming was it pressed over a Wood form ?? to get the deep pocket for the steel etc

ATB

Duncan

Hi Duncan, took me awhile to get round to making my order to, glad I did though, the right tools make all the difference.

All I did to form the leather was to wet it and stretch it over a wooden mold.

DSC02069Small.jpg

I've not used the veg tanned stuff yet but think it might form better than the reclaimed stuff .

ATB.

Pete.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Agree with Big Red - that's a really nice idea and very well made, too. I'd echo the sentiment that lots of people would like personalised versions for their own prized bits of kit!

Now, all we need to do is work out how to make them MOLLE-compatible! :D

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
That's a really good idea to combine pockets on a strip of leather. Endless possibilities. I quite like the idea of some kind of bandolier that you can slip on various pockets depending on what you're up to. It looks like the stuff you've made will last a lifetime. If that's the first attempt I can't wait to see what comes out next.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE