Bushcraft in County Tipp!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bombadil

Hey...

Been on here a while but have recently moved to ireland (County Tipperary, as the title suggests.)
I wondered if there is anyone/thing going on in the region.
Any ideas?

Sep 11, 2006
Ireland
Hi Bombadil,
Not much Bushcraft in Tipp. i'd imagine. In fact very little in Ireland. We like our supermarkets!

Check out CELT in scariff. I know that there are a few people interested over there. I am based SW and get their mails from time to time.
Would be a worthwhile exercise to find out what the level of interest is. There must be somebody interested in ireland?

keep the faith

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Hi Bombadil, :lmao:

your living in a fantastic part of the country for Bushcraft, but yeah your right, not a lot of interest in bushcraft in Ireland. Can't explain why.

I was thinking of setting up an Ireland Bushcraft group on Yahoo or similar, might be a good way of gauging the level of interest or activity.

Anyone have any interest in such a group.

Feedback please.......

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Hi Anthony,

have to disagree with you on this one, having a get together is a very Irish thing to do, however the less formal the better.

Bombadil,

you will find it difficult meeting people in Ireland who have an interest in what we call Bushcraft or Wilderness skills. But ask the same question in a different way, are they interested in the forests, the mountains, the land, their farms, hunting, local wildlife, they will be very interested. Irish people are very close to the land, they have a natural affinity for it, and normally don't identify with a formal "Label" like "Bushcraft".
Keep the faith and continue to develop your own skills, you will get people interested when they understand what you are really about.

Check out this link for woodland walks in Tipp,

http://www.tipp.ie/sportsandevents/walking.htm

Also http://www.coillte.ie/tourism_and_recreation/maptipperary.html

for Coillte Forrests in Tipperary, they have an excellent website for the whole country.

All the best,

Frank

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi There,

I would have to agree with Raptor on this one. Bushcraft means very little to people other then that fella Ray Mears on the the telly. But if you look you will find people doing bushcraft activities with actually identifing them as such.

CELT seems like a good place to start espeacial as they are so close too you. The Yahoo group also sounds like a good Idea.

James.

PS. Raptor I can't help but notice you location. Do I known you?

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Hi to all,

I have set up a "Bushcraft in Ireland " Yahoo group. You never know, if we get enough people to join the group, we can get an idea of how much interest there is in the country.

See the link below to join. Just for now I'm hoping that we can get as many members as possible, then start a discussion on local stuff, meet-ups, etc. etc.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/bushcraftinireland/join

Hi James,

no I don't think I know you, I'll send you a private message.

Cheers,

Frank

S

Simo

Its an awful pity we dont actually have some sort of Bushcraft organisation here in Ireland. As much as I love going into the mountains (mostly on my own) good company with like minded people would be brilliant.Im from Saggart in south county Dublin right in the foothills of the Dublin mountains.I love nothing better than grabbing a rucksac and taking off even if it is only for a few hours.

Cheers,
Simon

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I can only speak for myself but I would be willing to go South for a meet-up. I went down last year for bushcraft weekend when I paddled the Shannon River in an open canoe and camped over for a couple of nights. It was fanatstic to be able to pull up on to the bank and a wee island to set up camp, practice a few skills and then head off up the river again.

So if you like the sound of that let me know and I'm sure we can arrange something. :)

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Hi Simo,

have you ever walked around Djouce Mountain in Co. Wicklow, I'm looking for a decent woodland area which isn't yer bog standard, 2,000 acre conifer plantation.
That is also away from a well used public park.
I have heard of a couple of places in the Westmeath, Laois, Offaly direction which might be a possibility.
Anyone any ideas.

Frank

Link to Bushcraft in Ireland http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/bushcraftinireland/join

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Nice one Raptor setting upt the group, I'll head on over!

I'm sure theres loads of people interested, but we're hard to find with little unification!

I've done the bushcraft course with Celt and it really is very good, the instructor is the real deal I tell ya! Thats him there!
1018580048a3491739313b795064153l.jpg

Anyways I'm up for any meetups we can organise!
Oh and I'll be up at Celts next event in May too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE