Starter Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
I'm considering getting a reasonably priced knife and wondered whether I should go for a Mora or spend a bit more and go for the Fallkniven F1. I'm thinking that I could get a Mora and if I need to upgrade to something a bit pricier the few quid it cost me won't matter too much.... or should I just spend the extra upfront?

My sharpening skills are negligible so messing the Mora up wouldn't be too bad a deal. Quite like the look of the Classic Knife with red wooden handle...

What do you reckon?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I reckon I better say this before 60 other people do. :lmao:

Get the mora. You may find that the upgrade isn't needed and if it is, you will not be out that much dough to begin with.

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Blimey, that was a quick response :lmao:

OK, so the question is Classic or Clipper?

Any opinion on the relative merits of either. The Classic looks a bit cooler but I bet the Clipper is more comfortable to use (looks a bit like a kitchen knife though)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
but I bet the Clipper is more comfortable to use (looks a bit like a kitchen knife though)
The clipper is a very comfortable knife to use and works great for woodcraft as well as kitchen/game prep duties. I wouldn't get the F1 till you have learned some basic knife use and care.... learn to sharpen you knife to a hair popping edge. If you have enough money for an F1, then I would suggest getting both types of moras you mentioned and trying them both and see which one you prefer. The handles on the classic are easy to remove if you fancy rehandling it as a little project for yourself.

Ed

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
personally i dont get on that well with the clipper, although nearly everyone i have ever spoken to does, but I end up with blisters from it after heavy use which is something i dont suffer from with my other knife. I also find the blade a little to thin for my preferance and the length a bit too long for its thinness. The finger guard also bugs me a bit.
(All personal gripes rather than actual issues with the knife)
But the main reason i got mine was to practise and master sharpening on without worrying about damaging the blade on my other knife.

leon-1

In agreement with Ed here:D.

I have both, but would suggest that if you are starting out the Frosts Clipper is definitely the way to go. Get some experience under your belt using the Clipper and when you feel that you want to upgrade then move onto another knife then.:)

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Excellent, thanks for the advice. When it comes to gear you can find yourself getting ahead of yourself and going for the item that is just a little bit shinier :rolleyes:

What the best online price you have found for the Clipper? I'm getting figures around 14 quid inc. p+p.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
synoptic said:
Excellent, thanks for the advice. When it comes to gear you can find yourself getting ahead of yourself and going for the item that is just a little bit shinier :rolleyes:

What the best online price you have found for the Clipper? I'm getting figures around 14 quid inc. p+p.
I'd go for a Frosts 780 rather than a clipper as it's high carbon. I have found it take a great edge, and the edge lasts a long time. I've used my 780 to chop a 12 long 4x4 treated timber post in to kindling, and the edge was still sharp enough to do food prep and a bushcraft weekend. It is easier to sharpen than the clipper, the biggest let down is the sheath.
if you look about you can find both knives for under £12 each posted.
here for example
and here
all the normal disclaimer apply

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Lots of great advice, thanks guys.

I think that I will go with the Clipper, but I take Tadpoles comments on board - Maybe get both!

OK so what about sharpening? I'm looking at the Fallkniven DC3 stone but wondered if maybe this is excessive given the knife only costs 12 quid? Mind you, a suppose a sharpening stone can be used on multiple knives so it's worth getting a good one. Is the extra length of the DC4 worth it or would the DC3 be fine?

Also, would you recommend a sharpening angle guide or should I just get my own technique sorted out?

Cheers.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
If your going to start learning to sharpen get a full size japanese waterstone, or an oilstone if you rather (use the search feature if your unsure of the difference)...like you said the stones can be used for any number of knives, and will last sometime if you look after them, just like any other tool.

The DC3 and 4 are great little field "stones", but unless you have your technique nailed you can end up blunting your blade even more. If you can afford both then do. If they are both too expensive, you can use wet and dry paper of varying grits. Have a search around, there is a guide somewhere on what to do to make a diy sharpener

As for angle, if its a flat grind you just lie the blade flat and tilt it forward so that the bevel is flat and puch forward.

there is a guide somewhere with the whole technique written out. Might be worth a dig around in the articles section of the main page, and aslo the stickies in the edged tools section of the forum.

EDIT:

Here you go....

DIY Sharpener: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=11571

How to sharpen: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=10718

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've got a Clipper too. It's the one with the "hurt your eyes" bright orange sheath and handle. I was thinking of going for the classic wood handled Mora in carbon, but I remembered that I didn't much like how slippery the handles on my old Opinel's became when the clouds above British Columbia decided to open up and drench me.

I don't really have any complaints about the Clipper, but I'll mirror what Andyn said about the blade being a bit thin. On a couple of short bushcraft trips this past summer I used the knife to baton some wood and the blade didn't really hold up all that well. I don't know if that's because it's stainless or because the stock is a bit thin. Other than that, it's a great little knife.

Adam

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
synoptic said:
Lots of great advice, thanks guys.

I think that I will go with the Clipper, but I take Tadpoles comments on board - Maybe get both!

Now you're talking! :D

As for sharpening, I would avoid waterstones until you have a bit more experience. They take some skill to use properly and maintain. The DC4 should be just the ticket though. Lots of ways to go here. Wet/dry sanpaper mounted on a flat block of wood is as good as anything out there and cheap. It's what I tend to use 90% of the time.

Spyderco makes a very nice medium/fine ceramic stone that works a treat as well. Sorry, but I don't have a link to it. You will also want to buy or make a leather strop to finish up your sharpening.

leon-1

Hoodoo said:
Spyderco makes a very nice medium/fine ceramic stone that works a treat as well. Sorry, but I don't have a link to it. You will also want to buy or make a leather strop to finish up your sharpening.

Is this the one you were thinking of Hoodoo:)

If it is they are very good, the medium is about the same as the synthetic sapphire on the DC3 / 4 stones and the fine is very fine.

As you say though wet 'n' dry does a good job:)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nice choice with the Clipper ;)
I, however, also have problems with the handle. I've got paws like dustbin lids, so I find the handle a bit thin for heavy use, though it doesn't bother me too much now...
Definitely a great knife to start with!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
leon-1 said:
Is this the one you were thinking of Hoodoo:)

If it is they are very good, the medium is about the same as the synthetic sapphire on the DC3 / 4 stones and the fine is very fine.

As you say though wet 'n' dry does a good job:)

Yup, that's it. :You_Rock_ It's the one on the far left.

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
I made some of those sharpening blocks with wet and dry paper and gave my old leatherman a bit of a polish. Initial results are good but I clearly have a lot of learning to do. It is definitely the sharpest it has been in a long while but its not 'hair-popping' sharp. I'm finding that I'm pretty much guessing the angle really.

My eyesight isn't so great that I can see what is happening at the cutting edge in real detail and I have no idea if I'm raising a burr yet. Still, it seems to work well enough to make a difference so I'd better dig out some old knives!

Cheers again :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE