Expedition Members Needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mission Improbable

Robust individuals with good level of physical fitness, plenty of determination, good sense of humour and love of the outdoors to join an expedition to South America in 2007.

We are looking for volunteers to come out for 1 or two month sections of what will be in total a 12 month trip to live in the forests of South America and raise money for Rainforest Concern through sponsorship.

The Challenge

1 Survival training and living deep in the jungle
2 living deep in the jungle on our own
3 living in the jungle next to the beach, time for a bit of surfing.
4 Living in the Cloud Forest - quite nice I hear.
5 Living in the Polylepis forest, at altitude - cold, time for some climbing perhaps
6 Living in the flooded forest
7 Punting down the Amazon and surviving in the jungle
8 Visiting reforestation projects etc run by Rainforest Concern

Contact with the outside world will be kept through email and satellite phone.

I have never been to the jungle or even South America, from what I understand this promises to be a rather testing undertaking.

Requirements

You will need to be well organised, motivated and to be able to cope, or at least put up, with physical discomfort, periods of boredom, crisis and possibly having only one other person to talk to for a month or more at a time.

Most travel will take place via truck or canoe. However, things could go wrong and so you should be prepared for a long walk back to civilisation. So you should be able to swim and walk long distances with a rucksack.

It will be your responsibility to ensure that you have all the relevant vaccinations and medications for the trip.

It will be necessary for all members of Mission Improbable to take an expedition first aid course or prove they have such skills already.

It would be really useful if you spoke Spanish.

Survival knowledge would also be really useful, at a minimum you must be able to make a decent cup of tea.

Test

We will be running a "team building exercise" sometime in the middle of winter at as bleak and dismal a location as we can find. There will be a number of arduous physical challenges as well as some survival training and a test of navigations skills. Whilst some of the tests will have time limits the spirit in which the attempt is as important as actually meeting the deadline.

Costs

Including flights I would guess it would cost around £1200 - £2000 depending on a number of variables - such as which section you are coming out for. Some equipment has been promised to us and I'm doing everything I can to bring the costs down. Any help with finding a backer for Mission Improbable would be much appreciated.

Rainforest Concern

The whole point of Mission Improbable is to raise money for Rainforest Concern http://www.rainforestconcern.org/ who are working to protect the rainforest and so we ask that all members of Mission Improbable undertake to raise as much sponsorship as possible for them. It's going to be a lot different than running a marathon.

Application Form

For an application form please email me at hugh.sawyer@gmail.com with the words "Application Form" as the subject. Please be patient as I haven't written the form yet and it will take a couple of days to come up with the appropriate questions.

Further Info

As well as raising money for Rainforest Concern we are also setting up the world's first jungle based solar power online travel guide which will, hopefully eventually, help offset some of the costs. More importantly it also aims to prove it is possible to run a business and live a sustainable life. The travel guide and more information on Mission Improbable can be found at www.bethejam.com
and we are always looking for wannabe travel writers

J

Jamie

Hey Hugh

What a great offer and experience for people to get involved in - and to help a great cause to boot!

I am sure you are going to be inundated with requests.

I would, but I wasnt even able to make the moot this year, so the jungle seems even less of a possibility!!!! :(

Best of luck with both the selection and trip and make sure you keep us up to date on all aspects!!

Jamie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE