TV programme on forging blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
On quiet nights I flick through the TV channels. A few weeks I landed on an American TV channel which had a blade forging competition programme. Forged in fire. Anyone watched it?

As someone who isn't a knife maker I've always had a passing interest in forging blades. It's TV entertainment and built up for drama but there's some interesting work too. Makes me want to get into it

Anyone else watch it occasionally too?

One show the final test was to make a claymore, another a kopek and there's been other blade / sword types in their final challenge at their home forge.

If there's a knife maker on here who has seen it, how realistic is the forging aspect? Is it pure entertainment??

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is on Youtube too.

As with all tv shows, specially coming from the other side of the Atlantic as seen from Eurasia, I take them with a pinch of salt.
Fun to watch though.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Does it do justice to the actual process of forging a blade?

I must admit to liking the idea of one day trying to forge a blade it even get into it. Studied a fair bit of metallurgy over the years at university but that's all theory kit practise. Then again going around Redcar when it was booming is metallurgy on a huge scale. Stepping over channels of tapped off slag like hot lava and past the blast furnace close to shower of molten metal as the guys were doing something with long metal bars. Long time ago. Early 90s meant H&S wasn't as strict.

Just curious as to whether any bladesmiths on here ever try to copy what they do on that programme? I mean they use all sorts of improbable steel source materials to make the blades in the studio workshop

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Love this programme. From reading up on several American blade forums, it's carefully edited, of course and what they don't show is that the hardened blades are tempered overnight before they film the handling sequence. It's accessible and entertaining, not a documentary in craftsmanship, but there are some very skilled people on there (and some less so).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE