M90 versus M95 sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Can anyone tell me if there are any differences between these 2 bags, and if so what they are?
Does the M95 have a shorter zip? Any other differences?

Many thanks!

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
There's such a plethora of information out with you all , that I gleaned on various bits, especially on surplus bags, that I thought SOMEONE might know if and what may be the differences?

Pretty please?

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
If you start by telling us what countrys bags we're talking about, we
might have a better chanse of knowing what you're interested in. :)

I pressume you mean UK MoD issued bags.

The "m/95" name applies to several different sleepingbags in different
countries...

Last edited:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
If you start by telling us what countrys bags we're talking about, we
might have a better chanse of knowing what you're interested in. :)

I pressume you mean UK MoD issued bags.

The "m/95" name applies to several different sleepingbags in different
countries...

I did, but carry on.......:confused:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I'm sorry that you see a request for information, to learn, as being flippant.

If you wish to impart knowledge, then again I would ask, please do, no matter whether the bags are Dutch, Danish, Belgian, British?

Or somewhere Secret Squirrel? (now I AM being flippant:rolleyes:)

Happy Christmas everyone!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm sorry that you see a request for information, to learn, as being flippant.

But which bag or bags are you wanting info on?

You say "... these two bags ..." then, in a later post "... no matter whether the bags are Dutch, Danish, Belgian, British ...".

M90 and M95 aren't, as far as I'm aware, British Army designations. 90 Pattern (or 90 Patt) is well known though. As is Soldier 95 (or S95). But, as has already been said, the British Army used/issued more than 2 weights of bags in these designations. The Swede's are well known for their M90 gear. I've no idea about the designation names used by other countries armed forces.

Perhaps pics or links to bags you want to review might gain you more help?

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Bingo, thank you : I think you are on to it, as it isn't just two bags as I'm finding out, and that begins to clarify things. I couldn't give links to things I don't know....?

In the meanwhile someone very helpfully, on another thread /forum, has explained a lot. As an ex serviceman, it was explained that M95 was not an official designation and may be used by some sellers for later M90 bags, certainly as far as British bags were concerned.....a marketing ploy?

I have also come to therefore realise, that some have full length zips, and some don't. ( British Army), both of these are sold as M90 pattern. Might there be other differences?
Do European (mainland) sourced bags differ in thermal ratings whilst still being M90 pattern bags, as they differ in look/form/style??

Schroedinger's Scat ~ Whether you open the box or not, poop's gonna happen!..............Love it!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
There is no "M90" pattern its just either 90 pattern or the older 58 pattern. The older bags were cheap feather filled pieces of carp that soaked up water like a sponge and lost most of the feathers through the fabric. The 90 pattern bags were a rename of the arctic bags used at the time, synthetic and very warm. The latest system is made up of two bags, a medium and lightweight bag. Both good, but not as bombproof or warm as the older 90 bag, also hard to get away quickly due the the fabric holding air like a baloon. Tight inside too when using both bags.

This obviously only applies to British kit, there are other types like the hot weather (jungle bag) etc..

Tonyuk

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I couldn't give links to things I don't know....?

So, basically, you're asking for information on sleeping bags but can't tell us which ones?

(Given that the British Army never issued an M90 or an M95. But a quick google for 'M90 sleeping bag' seems to show results for the Danish and the Dutch armed forces having issued M90 sleeping bags ~ there could be others too, I didn't look that far. )

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Thank you TonyUk and MikeLA. Yes indeed, I do like the zip positioning; the longer version I assume makes entry exit and liner use easier than my half length one...
And thank you too decorum, I now see that there's no M in the designation of the British Army bags.........does the figure "90" whether with am M or not signify anything?

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Lawrence,

The 'M' stands for 'Military' as in 'M'65 field jacket - designed by the US Military.

Other armies - Dutch, French etc either copied and/or bought-in US C&E (Clothing and Equipment) hence their use of the prefix (not sure about the Danes M84 pattern cam -probably the same) so you will see it come up elsewhere,

Re the '90' designation - I refer you to TonyUK's 1205 post in this thread. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE