Non-VW van options for conversion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
So what alternatives to a VW van are there to convert to a campervan? Looking for something useable as a family vehicle that you can cook and sleep in to. I guess a 4 seater for driving purposes.

We don't want anything too old, which I think Mazda Bongo vans are. Also want to avoid VW premiums.

Main use is instead of the family mpv but also as a place to chill out in and make a cup of tea. Stove and cooking facilities too. The sleeping use will be used and is needed to change classification to motor caravan (cheaper tax, mot and insurance I believe).

We like camping with tent so chances are we'll do that anyway with the van as transport, cooking facilities and shelter in truly bad weather

Any suggestions what van is good? Thinking.vivaro double.cab. any others?

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Over the years Ive tried them all and always come back to a VW. My current is a 63 plate VW T5 SWB converted at Caledonian Campers in Clydebank Scotland. Yes there is a premium but its worth it. Converted T5s hold their value better and with the 2 litre VW Golf engine my van does 41.6 miles to the gallon all day long. It seats 5 with certificated seat belts, I use it for my business and for camping. Ive owned a lot of cars and vans including some of the best out there but would not walk past a T5.

Just my tuppence worth, hope this helps.

John

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
My main priority was reliability so I went for a Toyota Hiace, I too was not prepared to pay extra for having a VW badge on the bonnet.
Yet to convert due to lack of funds, picked up an awning last year and I've got other bits such as a hob ready to use. Mine did have a wheelchair lift in the back which I removed, it has two removable seats in the rear and that facility has been handy, probably puts me off converting if I'm honest.

The old saying is that 'nobody got rich fixing Toyota's"

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes VW vans hold their values but they're at a premium. I doubt we'll get one within our likely budget, not one that's still good.

I've seen vivaro vans and the Renault equivalent on an 08 plate or newer for reasonable prices. Plus I've seen conversion kit for vivaro vans too, captain seat bases, etc.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I owned a Vivaro for 4 years as my main vehicle and I can honestly say they are one of the worst vans on the market. It was unreliable, temperamental and it wasn't exactly brilliant on fuel. I traveled across the country on a regular basis and in winter particularly, it was a nightmare.

Hate to say it because I grew up despising Fords, but the Ford Transit is a good solid van. Are there conversion kits for it though?

Best van I ever owned was an LDV 400, long wheel base high top. They too old now to be considered a good purchase, but mine had 7 seats, a massive cargo area but more importantly it was reliable, could carry weight without effecting the handling and was reasonable on fuel.

Considering that a conversion means you're adding a sort of permanent cargo, how a van handles with cargo and its effects on fuel consumption are more important than the kits you can buy. Captain's chairs... if you can find a Mitsubishi Delica dealer who is recycling the Delica L400, they can have 4 captain's chairs in them that are superb chairs. Fully adjustable, optional heated versions and relatively easy to remove/fit. Some of the modern caravan manufacturers sell complete kitchens separately which is a bonus... I looked into them a couple of years back when I was planning a tear drop trailer build. Bonus being using those is the refrigerators are incredibly light, the cookers are designed to fit in tight spaces and they have some ingenious storage solutions.

The Vivaro... useless on icy roads without cargo... I know this for a fact because I ended up traveling sideways down the M62 at 4am on a Sunday morning in mine. With cargo, the van was sluggish and struggled with hills... cornering was, well, interesting. Personally I don't want a van to be interesting going round corners, I want it to be solid and give me confidence it isn't going to veer off into a hedge.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Are there modern versions of the highly regarded Mazda Bongo around? I'm hoping for no older than 08 plate.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I can see the attraction of the Bongo with it's popup roof... but they've always made me think of the Bedford Rascal. They have this weird console in the drivers compartment that sits over the engine... you can't really get to the rear of the van without first getting some sort of gymnastic training. One of my friends bought the modern version and converted it, but it wasn't very practical. He insisted it was whilst trying to cook a pan of beans in 1ft sq of space.

There is a Jap import that is good though... but I forget the name. It has a huge shiny grill that looks like gangsta teeth... my wife was trying to persuade me to buy one when we imported the Delica. Grande sticks in my mind, but a google search springs up a teenage girl or a Fiat Punto... so I'll ask my wife when she gets in.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just a question/suggestion. I assume cost is a significant concern hence wanting to build one rather than buying a commercial one. That said, why not take a lesson from the commercial builders? Don't start with a passenger/cargo van, but start with a bare truck or van chassis. Are those available there? The larger auto/truck dealerships here carry or can order them for customers. You could likely save money over a completed commercial van or truck and built it to your own specifications

For example, this 2014 Ford Transit chassis and cab:

2014-ford-transit-chassis-cab-front.jpg

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Problem there Santaman is you fall foul of the DVLA... you'd have to put the vehicle through an IVA test, which has become a lot stricter in recent years. Technically just converting a van to a motorhome you should do the IVA test, but people don't unless they heavily modify the exterior.

Found out that import is a Nissan El Grande. They are ripe for conversion, good engines and relatively cheap for what you're getting. Not to my taste looks wise, but then I'm weird.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I am currently converting a 2012 Renault Master 2.3 CDI.

Mine is the LWB extra high roof version, and it is huge inside, yet still quite economical. I'm very pleased with it so far. It's not cheap though, windows, cooker, fridge, rooflights, water boilers, heating, lining etc. etc. It does all mount up!

My insurance company have given me 3 months to complete the conversion, and I have to have it registered as a campervan by this time.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Our plan is to take it off road so no insurance needed until close to finishing. Then we'll do the conversion 3 months. It'll be kept elsewhere whilst being converted and we'll not be able to rush it through. I'm obsessively OCD about measuring things before cutting but the main reason work will happen infrequent weekends I think. We're thinking a year to do it. That way costs can be spread out a bit. The main reason we'll take a long time is the only place we could do it with the room to store the van and a place to work it is some way away. So it'll be done in weekend campaigns regret than every weekend and week nights if we had a local place to do it.

Looked at an i800. Think that's Toyota but can't remember now.

I've heard elsewhere that the Vauxhall vivaro is a good drive and a good van for conversion. I'm a fan of Fords and Vauxhalls in cars because there's always loads on the road. This makes parts cheaper new and s/h. Worst car choice we've ever made getting something that's not Ford or Vauxhall. SEAT was a bit of a mistake. Even basics like wipers aren't carried by Halfords or any local factors. SEAT main dealer is locally the only place to get them.

Anyone know if there's a rock and roll bed that's tested for 3 point seatbelts and fits just behind the front seats? If there's a kid in the back I'd rather they were nearer the front than most such seats I've seen. They're mostly at the back from what I've seen.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I have just brought a Nissan Elgrand E50
auto , 3 liter derv , 4x4 ..
waiting for it to be UK plated

Maybe worth looking at ..

That is the one my wife wanted me to buy... see what I mean about the huge gangsta grill.

Have you got the version with the couch in the back (well, not a couch, but you know what I mean)... the one I looked at had thick shagpile carpet and huge captain's chairs in it... not to mention a dashboard that looked like it had been copied from the 80's TV show Knightrider!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That must be the model I saw... Jap importers in Birmingham... he had some interesting vehicles, including a car that looked like a box. Odd, but interesting.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm wondering what to do about this idea. TBH we're not like most people who do this in that we really just want a nice place to sit with a stove and power to make a brew or even cook lunch. I think it's unlikely we'll even sleep in it. 4 seats with seatbelts and if possible isofix to the second row of seats. What vehicle would make a good base for this? Also what I would you suggest for the interior design? Rock and roll bed or not? I reckon it's a large car more than a van but the Berlingo cars/vans don't give headroom or work for sitting together round the table. Can.the driver's seat be a captain's seat and swivel round?

Anyone got suggestions for van and design?

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I can see the attraction of the Bongo with it's popup roof... but they've always made me think of the Bedford Rascal. They have this weird console in the drivers compartment that sits over the engine... you can't really get to the rear of the van without first getting some sort of gymnastic training. One of my friends bought the modern version and converted it, but it wasn't very practical. He insisted it was whilst trying to cook a pan of beans in 1ft sq of space.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Bongo. The engine is the hate part really. As you said it's in the way for getting from the front into the back without getting out and stops you having swivel seats or a bed in the front. It's also a pain to work on and the gearing is all wrong so it revs too high at 70mph. That said the pop up roof is great and hard to find on any other vehicle without paying megabucks for it. You can stand up inside even with the bed laid out and, as I found out last weekend, if it's lashing down with rain you can put the platform down to make the roof tent a separate room and have the portaloo up there and be totally self contained. Find me a sub £4k van that can do that and act as a van/8 seater family car and fit into car park spaces. In my opinion though they're better left unconverted and kept as multi-use vehicles. Once they're got a fitted kitchen etc they're just a half-decent camper and no good for anything else.

Age is relative when it comes to cars and history counts for a lot. That's the other problem with Bongos, they're all imports with usually a large chunk of service history missing. The lack of history is more of a problem than the age. If you can find one without rust and either overhaul the coolant system yourself or pay to have it done then it's a good base to start from.

I'd look for a Merc Sprinter short wheelbase with the high roof if I was starting from scratch though. I like a lot of windows in a camper so a minibus would suit me better but I know a lot of people like less windows for security and stealth.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I am currently converting a 2012 Renault Master 2.3 CDI.

Mine is the LWB extra high roof version, and it is huge inside, yet still quite economical. I'm very pleased with it so far. It's not cheap though, windows, cooker, fridge, rooflights, water boilers, heating, lining etc. etc. It does all mount up!

My insurance company have given me 3 months to complete the conversion, and I have to have it registered as a campervan by this time.

Do you have any photographs of it at different stages that you could share? There's quite a few projects documented online but I'm interested in actually being able to see what someone has done and ask questions directly. No problem if you don't want to, but I.thought I'd ask. I'm sure you've learnt a lot on the journey of your conversion project. I reckon you've picked up a few tricks and tips along the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE