Got me an Opinel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Now to alot of people on here this is nothing new but to me it has come as a bit of a surprise. Whilst mooching around our local Decathlon today I spotted a no.7 for the sum of £5.99. Now I have owned a no.5 for nearly 20 years but found it a bit flimsy and so stuck it in my fishing box to just cut line etc. However the no.7 is a much better tool by far and I especially like the locking sleeve, simple but effective. It also came pretty sharp which is more than alot of far more expensive knives I have shelled out for over the years.
So all in all I think I am now another convert. One question, are they UK legal as they lock?
Cheers, Riven.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
They are legal, just need to have a valid reason for carrying it in a public place.

Also think #7 blade is 8cm long (ie over the 3" limit), which even if it didn't lock would still need a valid reason.

Last edited:

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
The fact that the blade locks means that you need a valid reason if you carry it in public. For example use at work. So yes they are legal but it's a little grey when it comes to carrying around in public!

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
They are legal, just need to have a valid reason for carrying it in a public place.

Also think #7 blade is 8cm long (ie over the 3" limit), which even if it didn't lock would still need a valid reason.

I lost my No. 8 while shopping seems the manger handed it in to the police I went round to the station and claimed it back told them that I used it for foraging wild plants and the gave it back so it does work.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Great knives, extraordinary value, like Mora. Makes you think sometimes, as one who has spent a lot more on sharp knives.........

Trotsky

Some of my workmates have Opinels and I've sharpened them as a favour on occasion, they will take quite a nice edge but, the handle design never appealed to me. As for the ones with the locking ring they are definitely not legal carry in the UK. They do however make versions that are which lack the locking ring. I once stupidly fell foul of UK knife law when I forgot a knife was in a jacket pocket, the blade couldn't have been 1.5" long but, I got cuffed as it had a locking blade and no valid reason other than "I forgot it was in there." I made sure to educate myself on that law as soon as that was all settled, thankfully no charges were brought against me.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
You can pop the ring off by closing the blade, twisting the collar to the locked position and then carefully opening the blade. The collar should ping off.

Love the No.7!

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Very few knives are illegal to carry as long as you can justify it. Likewise any knife, folding or not could cause you an issue if the copper on the day has an issue with it.

My every day carry is a Swiss card. Fixed blade sheath knife if they want to be pedantic about it.

If stopped just tell them you are on your way to the woods to collect plants. Leaving it in your car may be suggested but at that point it's worth pointing out that your car is considered a public place if you are stopped and carrying, so what difference does it make?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE