secateurs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Not your normal bushy tool, I know. Actually I need these for garden use.

The Mrs was grumbling that I was going to break her secateurs cause I was cutting branches too thick. She has a point - my right hand is fairly strong.

So, are Felco worth the money? My left hand is pretty much useless so I do need something I can use one handed.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Yes they are. Every professional basket maker that I know uses them ☺ They are the silky of the secateur world.

I don't like the ones with the swivelling handles on some models but they are said to reduce fatigue if you use them for long periods. You can sharpen the blades and every bit that may break (spring, nuts, bolt, blade and anvil plate) can be replaced too

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I don't think I'd want swivelling handles. Strikes me as a weak point (I've broken plier handles in the past).

Well I'll tell her she needs to get me a pair of Felcos then. ty

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I work as a gardener & use every day(they are in my pocket now)wolf garten anvil one's, the number/model is RS2500, they are a great tool, i would'nt be without them.

Rob

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I have 2 pairs from my contracting days they are 20 year + old... yes I sharpen them yes they still cut, would I buy again ? I hope I dont have to I expect them to last the rest of my life :)

yes I mean Felco :)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Practically all of my pruning equipment is Fiskars. No complaints.
I use the anvil types for dead wood and the bypass ones for live sticks.
The long-handle ratchet bypass is great for 1" & bigger.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I bought mine (#8) in 1987, still in use. All I've replaced is the spring because it twanged off somewhere after getting caught up, and one blade. They've done a lot of work, especially in overgrown apple orchards where it's too much hassle to come down for a saw. It's just easier to bend the branch away from the blade and cut with the Felcos.

I don't think I'd want swivelling handles. Strikes me as a weak point (I've broken plier handles in the past).

Well I'll tell her she needs to get me a pair of Felcos then. ty

the rolling grip takes a bit of time to get used to it but if you use them all day long you' ll know why professional gardeners like them:D

if i wouldnt lug enough weight around the world already ( and my tight budget wouild allow it) i would add a pair to my kit: they can come in handy for trail clearing while hiking and i'm fed up with the ********* junk they sell over here!

small tip: take the spring of and slightly flatten the end with a pair of pliers: this reduces the risk of the spring coming off (not that i had that happen or know any of my former co-workers loosing theirs)

and if the branches are too thick for secateurs you have a good excuse to get a silky saw as well:D :rolleyes:

Last edited:

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
I was lucky and got my Felcos for a tenner brand new on eBay about 15 years ago but since then they've been used heavily, left outside and at the moment need a good fettle as I left them in contact with oxidising fertiliser, but are still going strong. I'd buy them again if I ever had to.

However.... I also bought a set from TKMaxx for a fiver, needed a spare set to keep in my 'log cabin' office because I tend to look out of the window in video conferences and notice little twigs that need pruning. They are basically an exact, Chinese, copy of the Felco but with a more purple plastic on the handle. They work exactly as well, look and feel almost exactly the same, but have only had 2 years use. Worth looking out for if on a budget. But, it was the 'exactly' but that made me buy them, they were among many 'lookalikes' that were clearly copied junk.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
To go against the trend I use a cheapo pair from Asda, I think they were a quid. They live in the bag with my Laplander and a Mora 510. It's surprising how often they come in handy.

My wife - who is the gardener of the household - has a pair of Wolf Garten, don't know what model but she loves them. She tried all sorts before I got her them, some with ratchets, some with rolly handles, you name it really, but she always uses the Wolf's now.

Dave

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I bought my mum a set of Felcos as a special treat. She has small hands and was overjoyed with them, they were small enough, and were much nicer than the Wilkinson Sword that she used before. However, after a number of years, grumblings started to be made that the Felcos were not holding up very well, that even though she had saved them for fine pruning and taking cuttings, they were no longer cutting cleanly.

I had a catalogue for Niwaki products, in which there were a selection of Japanese made secateurs. I bought the 7" Small Okatsune version, which at £34 were in the same ball park as the Felcos, but OMG are they sharp!! They use Hitachi steel at 60-61HRC and a thin edge. Its easy to draw parallels with the differences found between Japanese and traditional western kitchen knives.

All grumbling from the gardening department has ceased. Felcos relegated to second place.

http://www.niwaki.com/store/secateurs-snips-and-loppers/
WARNING ;): They carry a lot of other nice stuff from kitchen knives to woodworking tools.

If I had to buy again, I would not be buying the Felcos. They are not bad, but I think these Japanese ones are better for the same money.

as much as i like Japan and japanese tools- i dislike this type of secateurs: more that once i had my hand sliding forwards when using more force (for cutting thicker branches) and squashing my thumb and the type of safety lock they use is IMHO a pain in the butt-- you need both hands to close/open them (as opposed to a flick with the thumb on felcos or copies of them) and they tend to lock themselves....
for occasional use (hobby gardening) maybe, but for professional use i would not bother....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE