What a Brilliant School

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Saw this article in the Telegraph which had been posted by Chas Brookes over on FB and all I can say is what a brilliant school and headmaster it has.

I wish every school were like this because the kids will gain so much from it :cool:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
ha ha, i've been trying to post that to your FB page after reading it earlier, it's a great article, I might even copy some of it into our front end, it's what education should be like :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
ha ha, i've been trying to post that to your FB page after reading it earlier, it's a great article, I might even copy some of it into our front end, it's what education should be like :D

You can't post direct to my FB page because I've got that set to approve before allowing stuff appear :)

Or do you mean post it to the forum page on FB Tony?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Excellent way to go; it flummoxes me as to why it's not widespread, I'd have loved it and so, I suspect, will the majority of those lucky enough to have the experience.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
He smokes, for a start. There are too many people very much against the concept of introducing kids to the idea of smoking...let alone doing it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
He smokes, for a start. There are too many people very much against the concept of introducing kids to the idea of smoking...let alone doing it.

You must be reading a different article to me... nowhere in it does it say the headmaster smokes.

The only reference that mentions smoking is about the farm manager having a roll up permanently dangling from his lip.

Kids are surrounded by smokers in real life and are more likely to take smoking up if parents do it and their mates do it than because they saw some old geezer who uses roll ups.

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
Sounds like he's turned a state school into a forest school. Forest schools are the best education for children, but private. Running a state school as a forest school is just not profitable (financially speaking) which is a the main drive in state education these days, so kudos to him for throwing money aside and doing what's best for the kids in a state environment.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I'm involved in forest school. The children get so much more out of it than people think they would.
More and more schools are starting to do forest now.
http://www.forestschoolassociation.org/

At our school we do forest school with two year groups at the moment. Last year we did three different year groups.

Two of our local parks also have park ranger's trained for Forest school. They are have home ED children groups. They are also hoping to do some holiday clubs for the local children too. But council money is very tight at the moment so they are looking for funding from other places to be able to offer the holiday club at a very small cost to the family's, They want to be able to put them on for just a couple of pound per day, per child. It will be good to see where this goes with our parks. I know our local wild life trust also have a couple of people trained too. But at the moment they are not putting any Forest schools on people children.
Down in London iv been told that there are Mum and Tots groups that do forest school too.

Last edited:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I do something very similar for a local SEBD school...

Weekly visits by pupils who are introduced to Fire lighting, air rifles, food prep, campfire cookery etc, etc.

I've put a few pictures up on my Facebook page this morning. Link here if you want to have a look.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE