One stove, one pot one supermarket meals...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm nipping across to Canada next week on a camping trip and will have a brief window to perform a supermarket dash to obtain supplies. I'm after some ideas for some simple meals. I'll be pulling a sled so tinned foods are on the radar. Here are some of my ideas so far...

Fried Spam served with beans.:spam:
Fried Spam served with spaghetti hoops.
Stagg Chilli served with pasta and Doritos.
Tinned beef served with spuds and carrots.

Lunch will consist of packet soup served with salami and cheese.
Dessert will be GORP or fruity energy bar. Or both.

Breakfast will be porridge or breakfast bar. Or maybe granola in warm milk made from milk powder.

Any more ideas will be gratefully received.

:camping::spam::campfire:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Deluxe soup of choice with straight to wok noodles mixed in, if you cut the noodles across the packet when adding them they're easier to eat / drink :) and spam :D

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam bacon spam tomato and spam; baked beans and spam; or maybe Lobster Thermidor au Crevette with a Mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

DB

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I don't know if this is helpful, but without any info about your weight or activity level I would advice to source food with a high fat content.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Pd176_Canned-Beef-Luncheon-Meat.jpg

Spam is so lower class, if you can afford a trip to Canada you should be able to splash out on LUNCHEON MEAT.
To be eaten with genuine silver cutlery, none of your electroplated nickel silver, stainless steel, Ti, sporks or plastic that common folks use :p

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Found when doing higher altitude or colder weather stuff that everyone craved fat. Especially when we were going light weight as dried stuff tends to be missing it. Things like salami & chorizo became sought after as it packed calories and flavour into a light, unspoilable & versatile package. That and some cheese would pimp up even the blandest meals. Another thing that we craved were beans & pulses. Either dried to save weight to be hydrated as we went or rather than tins, bought wet in cardboard "Tetrapacks". Things like chickpeas or butterbeans would bulk out meager rations and add taste and texture. (also helps the bowels function when eating a lot of processed food). You don't have to eat them just as is, they can be mashed to take place of potatoes, formed and fried like patties, all sorts of ways.
Like mentioned above tinned fish (or vacpacked) especially smoked stuff like mackerel will put some healthy oils into you and flavour bland food so the eating is a pleasure rather than a chore.
Being Canada I'm sure some local elk/moose salami's and the ubiquitous Canadian bacon will be available and will travel well on the trail.
Helps if you plan the meals out in advance. Just willy-nilly throwing stuff in a bag can lead to either forgetting stuff or carrying too much; I know you said weight isn't too much of a problem but it all adds up and crossing snow draped terrain with weight will take it out of you.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Anything but spam. You can get chicken, salmon, tuna, beef, vienna sausages, and oysters in a can, and some in a plastic bag to lighten your load. But spam. When the world ends as we know it, maybe... Most anything tastes better on the trail...except spam. :yuck:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You can't go far wrong with fried spam.

One of my cold weather one pot meal favourites and it is an acquired taste is canned ravioli and canned sardines cooked together.

It takes all sorts I suppose.

:)

Brynglas

Spam is good, corned beef as well.

I like tinned fish as a change on longer trips. Good fats, and calories.

I'm with Goatboy on the menu planning. Meals and snacks divided and repacked as necessary in ziplock bags. I've even been known to repack spam into ziplock bags. Oatcakes are a favourite of mine as well if you can find them over there. Oh, and tinned sausages are worth a look at as well.

Enjoy the trip.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Flavoured packets of cous cous with a handful of shredded jerky in it is a favourite for me

two or three more salami than you think you'll need

Big bag of nuts and raisins

If tins are on the table then tuna and corned beef

Really heavy fruit cake is awsome too (sliced before it gets frozen)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Disagree ! I think I might try that, it sounds interesting.

Think Sunndog meant it as a positive comment Bigbear. :D Bit like the old Pot Noodles adds when they said they were filthy/dirty.
Must admit Sandbenders concoction does sound good.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I thought you were using the modern parlance to be down with the young people. :D

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I make pemmican for cold trips. Great stuff. Still got 8 blocks or so i made a year ago, still as good now as it was when first made. Bit of that in some rice is great food.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE