One stove, one pot one supermarket meals...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Sandbender, that is pure filth mate :D

Well I did say that it was an acquired taste. :)

Just tried it cooked outside on homemade woodgas stove in the rain !!

I was on a long trek in SW France somewhere, it had poured for three days non stop and I'd just put in a very long day to put me near to a place where I could resupply, I was starving and a foil packet of ravioli and a can of sardines were all that I had in the pack, I chucked them all in the pan and at the time I thought I'd be lucky to keep it down but it was one of the best meals I've ever had.

I think being wet and miserable helps the flavour.

:)

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I rarely eat sardines, more a mackerel man. Will try this combo for lunch tomorrow.

After nuking three times, it had an aroma of a dead cat. Tasted okay though.

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
My go to meal in the woods is chorizo pasta. Boil up the pasta, add some passata or chopped tomatoes, chorizo and any fresh veggies you have along with you. Delicious and lots of fat to keep you going. You can get cartons of passata with herbs premixed in, chorizo can be heated over the fire or just bung it in with the passata.

I've never been to Canada (yet - role on June) but I imagine cured meats and smoked fish would be easier to source than they are over here and would supplement your meals well.

P.S. Don't forget the peanut butter. Nothing better to give you s boost of energy!

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I'm nipping across to Canada next week on a camping trip and will have a brief window to perform a supermarket dash to obtain supplies. I'm after some ideas for some simple meals. I'll be pulling a sled so tinned foods are on the radar. Here are some of my ideas so far...

Fried Spam served with beans.:spam:
Fried Spam served with spaghetti hoops.
Stagg Chilli served with pasta and Doritos.
Tinned beef served with spuds and carrots.

Lunch will consist of packet soup served with salami and cheese.
Dessert will be GORP or fruity energy bar. Or both.

Breakfast will be porridge or breakfast bar. Or maybe granola in warm milk made from milk powder.

Any more ideas will be gratefully received.

:camping::spam::campfire:

How many calories are you calculating to burn per day? 5000kcal? In the cold the fuel component is more important than taste, in my humble opinion....but I prefer tasty fuel, tho :)

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've survived on 2500K per day but lost about 0.5Kg per day. I can currently afford this level of weightloss...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't know the forecast but his food could be a little chilly at -25C and somewhat difficult to get out of the tin. Best ever hot drink under those conditions id Jell-O. Fats trump sugars in the long term but without oil rig Carhartts, conserving body heat means that nothing at all can be eaten cold. Right down to the chocolate chip-oatmeal cookies.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Nothing to laugh at. AN alternative would be Ramen noodles, which are also pre cooked. I add a slug of peanut butter, tuna, or sardines in oil to increase the calory count (and flavor). QUick and easy "just add water" type of meal. Removing from can to a Ziploc is a good idea.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Agreed. If all you ever need to do is boil water. Melting snow for that is a distilled water disaster in the making. Mineral additiions (eg salt) are essential.
I suppose you can buy Kraft Dinners (macaroni & cheese?) For the calories, 2 boxes per day and you can start the morning fires with yesterday's boxes.
One summer (no less) 2 guys in the bush for 3 months ate 5 x 5lb boxes of macaroni and 5 x 5lb boxes of spaghetti, among other things.

Did Dave say where this Ontario, Canada trek was to take place? We could at least follow his weather conditions at some nearby location
with theweathernetwork.com. I know that I can nominate just about any city in the UK and see a report/forecast.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Nothing beats a good curry out and about.

1 x packet pre-cooked rice, asda own brand or whatever you like.
1 x bag of the pre-cooked chicken tika breast meat. Again in asda.
1 x jar of curry sauce
Bit of tabasco

Leave to warm up well, make a brew made with a good bit of condensed milk.

Lovely meal when its pouring and you've found a bit of shelter and are able to keep warm, dry and well fed.

I don't know exactly how well this would work in Canada, but i'm guessing the temp there would preserve the chicken. The supermarkets over there i'm assuming would also stock all of the above.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE