What's your poison?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I'm becoming a bit impartial to the odd home brew :)

Just recently bottled these, my first ever go at all grain brewing (left - a porter, right - a bitter)
11887208_1618148985107872_1116363741_n.jpg

However as beverages go, I'll drink anything, alcoholic or non-alcoholic depending on my mood!

The beverage I drink the most of though is by far a good ol' english cup o' tea (I must drink at least 5 a day)!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The list is long....
Favorite canned drink Liptons iced tea - peach flavor

Booze

Real Ale
Red wine
Single Malts - Laphroiag being my favorite distiller... Islay Malts Rule!
Home made hedgerow wines
Hedgerow flavored Gin/vodka/Brandy

Teas etc
Builders tea - NATO standard
Chewin' coffee/Horseshoe coffee (mornings only) - extra strong (strong enough to float a horseshoe), black as a TV directors heart, sometimes with a little sugar
Herb teas (various according to mood)

It is easier to list drinks I am not keen on ...
Red Bull and other over sweet "energy" drinks
Gin (unless flavored with sloes) - I once helped a mate drink away the sorrows of a broken relationship with neat gin... can't stand the smell of it now!
Flavored tea (Earl Grey etc) drinking perfume would be nicer!
Cheap Lager - "Lager" means "store" as in Monty Pythons wine list "This is a good wine for laying down - and forgetting about"
Messed about whiskeys - mainly american .. Jock Denials, Southerners Discomfort etc, OK if desperate but only if drowned in Cola (two bad drinks making one OK drink...)
Mead and Mead abused Whiskey - I like Whiskey, I love honey but the two together - no.

It is my greatest regret that the best tasting drinks are often the most alcoholic - I like a drink but hate getting too drunk (which has not happened much since I left callow youth behind) and it has nothing to do with hangovers (something I am blessed with never having experienced - despite deserving them :) ) but more about not wanting to be a total smurfle, out of control and out of my right mind. The number of absolute sgriflinks I have seen when seemingly good folk take on too many drinks has put me off drunkenness, both in myself and others!
Good booze, well taken results in mellow good feeling - Smalgth booze, drunk to get drunk results in smurfling sgriflinks and often bloody disaster.
Two friends of mine have been crippled due to no fault of their own but that of a Drunk Driver...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Those nasty mass produced overly sweet fruit ciders (i.e. kopparberg & rekorderlig) have surely got to be added to that list!
I have yet to try them - though they do not really appeal from their description.... on second thoughts - I may have tried one and thought it was a kiddies soft drink ... I am not into them much either...

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I have yet to try them - though they do not really appeal from their description.... on second thoughts - I may have tried one and thought it was a kiddies soft drink ... I am not into them much either...
I wouldn't bother John, deeply unpleasant, sickly sweet, too fizzy and instantly induces crippling heartburn!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wouldn't bother John, deeply unpleasant, sickly sweet, too fizzy and instantly induces crippling heartburn!

Ahh ...alco-poops!
Not something I fancy at all.
I did miss Good Cider (not Cidre) off the list ...distilled Autumn: Generally a good laxative as well - beware of "Cider-farts"... yah think it is a fart - but it ain't! Unpleasant results that everyone else thinks hilarious!
Cheap and nasty ciders (sewer-cider) full of sweeteners and CO2 do not cut it at all!

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Ahh ...alco-poops!
I did miss Good Cider (not Cidre) off the list ...distilled Autumn: Generally a good laxative as well - beware of "Cider-farts"... yah think it is a fart - but it ain't! Unpleasant results that everyone else thinks hilarious!
Cheap and nasty ciders (sewer-cider) full of sweeteners and CO2 do not cut it at all!

I'm funny with ciders, don't mind some scrumpys, but nothing clear and nothing fizzy. Orchard pig recently had a chilli and ginger cider that was particularly good. As for white cider, that's suitable only for extinguising fires and cleaning drains. Horrendous stuff

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ahh ...alco-poops!

I really want to have a go at brewing a cider, my avatar is a nice homebrew cider from a pub we stumbled across by accident in swanage when we got told by a local to go there because a hillbilly band were playing that night - I think that cider was 'sat down be cider'...

Anyway, when we got home and said about our incredible experience getting drunk on homebrew cider and rocking out to spoons and banjos and I mentioned the pub to people it turns out it's been in the good pub guide ever since the good pub guide started - or something like that.

We went again this summer actually, it was rammed, I think it's like that every summer.

Square and Compass was the pub if anybody has been there or likes the sound of it...

Anyway...

Sorry, not intending to deviate from the topic :)

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
For me it has to be tea, plenty of strong tea (splash of milk in first!) and it has to be Yorkshire Tea. I'm a soft southern fairy and have no affiliation with Yorkshire, never even been there but they make very nice tea bags!
Thereafter it's one strong mug of Lava Java coffee per day and a peppermint tea after dinner (great natural antidote for breaking down the fats).

When it comes to the booze, I'm not a big drinker, can and do go weeks without it and am often quite happy to be the one that does the driving on nights out. But when I'm camping I always have a hip flask (especially in the winter) and it always contains my favourite scotch whisky of all......Jura

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cup 'o yorkshire tea, strong enough so the spoon stands up by itself. Two to three sugars.
Black Sheep, brewed in Masham. The best Real ale there is!
Red wine. Bottle of Hardys Crest for a fiver. Or a pinot, or shiraz.
Guinness. [Of course]
Single malt whisky 10 year old Ben Nevis.
That was all pre diet.
Now its sodastream, sugar free, calorie free, carb free, Irn Bru, made from girders of course.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE