Will it? Won't it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
So I was bored wandering round the net and I ended up on the Daily Express website when I saw this.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/natur...t-Britain-cold-winter-2015-arctic-snow-freeze

My wife saw this and is hoping it comes true. She would love an English snowy winter. Why the hell she wants to see more snow after living in Alaska for 16 years I'll never know. Either way living out here I'm glad I have my gear and I'm going to say in some consumables...just in case.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
These "reports" seem to be appearing every year. The Daily Fail is another tabloid guilty of doing this.

It's done primarily to catch attention and sell the paper.

As for the accuracy, you have more chance of finding two identical snow flakes. :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
We're due a cold one though... my wife reckons there is a bit of a cycle going, and the last really cold winter we had around here was 2010... she wasn't wrong last time round so I've already collected logs and kindling... may grab a stash of salt incase the road freezes over again and make sure all the exterior pipes are lagged. Not much else I can do other than break out the woolly jumper :)

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
These "reports" seem to be appearing every year. The Daily Fail is another tabloid guilty of doing this.

It's done primarily to catch attention and sell the paper.

As for the accuracy, you have more chance of finding two identical snow flakes. :)

Yeah you're right it's all done to sell their rags. Personally I think this is as good at weather forecasting as the so called experts are.

Screenshot from 2015-09-12 21:31:35.jpg
We're due a cold one though... my wife reckons there is a bit of a cycle going, and the last really cold winter we had around here was 2010... she wasn't wrong last time round so I've already collected logs and kindling... may grab a stash of salt incase the road freezes over again and make sure all the exterior pipes are lagged. Not much else I can do other than break out the woolly jumper :)

It never hurts to be ready just in case. I've checked all my stoves and got extra fuel, Lighting is taken care of. We're in the process of laying in food supplies. If we do get any appreciable amounts of snow then the lane outside my house will be impassable and so far out of town it's way down on the councils plough out list so we could be stuck for ages.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I guess if they report it every year, eventually they might get it right.
snow-wee.gif

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Living here we get a doozy every few years. Village gets cut off for a few days despite being just off of the main route north.
Kind've like it when we do though. Everybody bands together and helps out making sure the old and infirm are okay and able to get about. It was quite funny last time that the only shop in the village ran out of booze before bread. :D
When it did run out I ended up baking bread for folks as I kept a good drystore larder.
At one point we were sitting at -15° for a week and the water was frozen in the pipes below ground outside the house. Did mean that going to the loo had to be thought out and rationed.
Luckily a fair proportion of us had access to solid fuel and bottled gas (no piped gas in the village) so heating and cooking could be done for those without.
Some of the local kids made some extra pocket money clearing snow though a lot of it was offered for free.
I quite liked the whole situation but don't know if it would work out in a less friendly/more built up area.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I quite liked the whole situation but don't know if it would work out in a less friendly/more built up area.

It makes me laugh every time it snows around here... people clear the snow from their driveways and instead of putting it out of the way, they pile it up on the pavement... makes a nice treat for anyone out for a walk.

Some of the friendlier types locally will also ensure the council knows if they see anything more than a wisp of smoke coming from your chimney. I once had a council official come to the house to follow up on one such complaint and he looked very upset that I had bags of smokeless fuel... it would have made his day to tell me off for having a wood fire. I explained that (at that time) we had no boiler, so the log burner was our only source of heat in the house that winter, but he wanted to clarify the rules more than listen to how I was going to keep my toddlers from hypothermia.

For such a small village, we have the polar opposite to what you have up there by the sounds of it... if you fell on an icy road around here, the people with the luxury 4x4s that will never see anything other than tarmac would see you in the road and think 'hmmm, that could give me more traction'. I jest of course, there is not a chance they'd risk taking their posh tractors out in ice... they might scratch em!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE