Backyard Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
Hi there!!! i'm just getting into my survival skills and really enjoy wot few skills i can practice in the garden wen i get home from work, just little things i can try out and then will know will work out in the sticks! i've been practisin knots and attempted a spot of carving and even tried the cardboard cooker! all of which are fun and i can do in an hour in the garden! ANYWHO!! the whole point of me starting this lil forum is to get as many ideas as possible for Backyard Bushcraft as possible and hope we can all share little skills we can practice, and am hoping i can make a bit of a mini website soon!!!
cheers Jamie

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Welcome to BcUK. :)
It's a good place, I've found. Lots of helpful people and masses of useful information too.

Cheers,
Toddy

Trevody

May 30, 2005
North Lincolnshire
one of my favourite spots for bushcraft my back yard can get there in no time and if the fire bow don't work the missus will always put the kettle on :D
welcome mate

Trev :D

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Time is a commodity that's always in short supply and so I tend to practice all sorts of bushcraft skills in my garden. And with British Summer Time starting this weekend it means I can play a bit during the week after work.

Recent activities in the garden have been:

Carving
Attempts at making charcloth for my new steel (thanks Jason) - fabric wasn't very good though
Practice bow drill
Playing with different tarp configurations
Boiling willow bark for cordage
And although not really bushcraft - practicing with my bow.

Moduser

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
there's loads you can do in the back yard/garden. If you can have a dedicated spot for a fire you can make bannock and practice other cooking tecniques. Feather sticks, fire lighting, char cloth making, pot hangers, carving, practice making traps and snares, make a bow, make some spoons or spatulas, cordage etc, etc.
some of these things will of course require you to collect the materials first from the woods unless your back garden IS the woods. When time is short it's the best place to go.
Have fun

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
hello and welcome to BCUK

things i've done recently in the back garden

flint knapping,
cordage from lime bark
braided horse hair fishing line
arrow making
spooncarving

but the nights get lighter so i'll be able to go abit further afeild after the Weekend

James

oh look post 700 :cool:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Hi mate welcome to the forum.. whittling is one of my favorite things to do.. as is twisting up nettle cordage if you can get them.. to be honest there is Tonnes of bushcraft you can do in you back garden!

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I tried out my trangia SA in the back yard soon as I got meths for it. Made a brew and boiled up spuds on it for lunch just "testing it". But it proved very useful to gauge burn times etc rather than run out in the field.No better place to have and learn from any potential cock-ups than the back yard.
Dave.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi Jamie.

Backyard bushcraft is 99% of my bushcraft. The real question is what bushcraft can't you practice or do in the backyard? I have seen reported backyard tanning. Tracking the fox and squirrel is a possible. I suppose hunting and trapping is a bit unfriendly to the ethos of a suburban neighbourhood.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Backyard Bushcraft said:
Hi there!!! i'm just getting into my survival skills and really enjoy wot few skills i can practice in the garden

ANYWHO!! the whole point of me starting this lil forum is to get as many ideas as possible for Backyard Bushcraft as possible and hope we can all share little skills we can practice, and am hoping i can make a bit of a mini website soon!!!
cheers Jamie

Firemaking.

Welcome, by the way...

Wish I had a back garden :(

Jim.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Welcome to BCUK, you'll find most everyone in here a star, and always willing to give sound advice,

Enjoy the garden mate, but with the days having more light, try to venture out couple o night a week, I know how hard it is, but much nmore enjoyable

ENJOY :)

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I even built a shelter one night and slept in the garden. I am always there if I can't get up to the woods, and I sometimes choose my garden over the woods because there are more resources in my garden than in the local wood. Your garden is as versatile as your imagination.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE