Knit (net) your own rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tidily done :D and very practical too. Easy to find stuff, no extra weight and since everything's in dry bags anyway, it's sorted :D
I threw out one of those old frames from my 1970's rucksac not long ago too.
Should have thought harder on it.

M

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
This is where I have been going with my thoughts on carrying my stuff. The only down side I can see is a little less protection for you dry bags, when inside a rucksack there is one more layer of material to protect from scuffs, pointy things, and abrasions. But I have been thinking the organisational advantages of not having to dig around in a bag worth it. Also it has been said else where you can have various bags/ pouches packed with stuff you need for different types of trips/ durations, so a day warm trip may have just 1 or 2 dry bags attached, but a weeks cold trip you could strap your 'extra clothes' dry bag, your 'cold sleeping stuff' dry bag, 'cooking' dry bag, 'extra food' dry bag etc....

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
This is where I have been going with my thoughts on carrying my stuff. The only down side I can see is a little less protection for you dry bags, when inside a rucksack there is one more layer of material to protect from scuffs, pointy things, and abrasions. But I have been thinking the organisational advantages of not having to dig around in a bag worth it. Also it has been said else where you can have various bags/ pouches packed with stuff you need for different types of trips/ durations, so a day warm trip may have just 1 or 2 dry bags attached, but a weeks cold trip you could strap your 'extra clothes' dry bag, your 'cold sleeping stuff' dry bag, 'cooking' dry bag, 'extra food' dry bag etc....

Also - you could chuck over a cheap Bergan rain cover if you wanted another layer of protection - it'd still be much lighter and also serve as a useful gear hammock.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. I love those frames, I have two and do the same as you have. Im lazy though, didn't make mine, I use a net hammock so I get to sleep in my rucksack too! I make a tube with my sleep mat and then use the net hammock to attach it to the frame. This gives it protection from bumps and knocks but all very easy to get at.
Have fun with it, there are lots of options you can play around with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE