Best tarp out there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2014
London
Howdy.

So I know that this is a shot in the dark question but I've searched a hell of a lot and, whilst there are threads on "this tarp or that", I'd really like an opinion on the best tarp on the market.

I will only ever need it for a maximum of two people with bivvi bags.
It would ideally be super light.
Money essentially isn't a problem - I'm of the mantra that if you buy it right then you buy it once.
Ideally a discreet colour, we tend to do a lot of 'wild' camping.
I've set up standard tarps before but not any of the quirkier designs. Not to say that I would be against them, just putting that out there.
We don't tend to use walking poles but this could be factored in if really necessary.

I would really appreciate your help, sorry in advance, I know that you probably get this question all of the time...

Vaughan

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
I've got the DD 3x3m tarp, and it's very light for the size, massively versatile and after the winds it stood up to the last time I took it out I'd say it's pretty damn durable.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Bilmo-p5 of this parish.

Mine is canvas so not lightweight. However as he makes them you can chose the material you would like. Well made and great value- fir him a PM! :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Yes.

If you want lots of space with really good wind resistance, then the MLD trailstar is technically a tarp. Weighs about half a kg, but you will need a pair of walking poles to put it up.

If you want discreet then the British Army Basha is for you, It's heavy, over 1kg, but very roomy, very versatile, and blends in quite nicely in British woodland.

There are two of them in this photo.

img_3002_sm.jpg

The alpkit Rig 3.5 is a nice tarp, only 270g, but also only 1.4m wide, so while it will cover two of you in bivvi bags, you may find that you want to pitch it 90°'s on, and have your feet sticking out.

For an extra 15 quid you can get a 70g saving, and have the 2.2m x 1.5m RAB siltarp 1 at 200g. Still gonna be tight for two, but you can't beat it for weight without going cuban fibre.

So those are the options to consider. Everyone else is going to recommend a DD 3mx3m. Personally I've not seen the appeal in them, but they are very popular. If number used within those of this parish is anything to go by, then a DD 3x3 is best, followed by a British Army DPM...

I use a British Army DPM. I am considering the weight saving of a Alpkit rig 3.5.

Ultimately you pays your money, you takes your choice. And if you are anything like the rest of us, you will actually end up with a whole collection of tarps you use for different things. So far I have 2, I'm looking at a 3rd and a 4th, each for different things...

Julia

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Another shout for the Alpkit Rigs, I've got a 21 and it's very well made with extra side tie-outs that are very useful, also have a DD 3x3 that's decent too.

Cheers, Paul

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
I was searching for this topic only yesterday! I gave up and found a 3x3 on DD Hammocks that looked perfect for my needs, glad to hear they're liked here. I noticed they do it in coyote brown, does anyone have one or any thoughts on them? Nice pic Julia BTW.
Sorry for the hijack Vaughan.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Just to add another option to the mix, about a year ago I bought an Elite Evolution basha (3x3 multicam) from a site called ukmc pro and I'm very happy with it. Good size, very light, well made, good camo.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Tatonka tarps are well made and decent money or as said above Hilleberg are top notch kit but top end price too.

Craig88

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Kingston Upon Hull
My preference would be a treated 3x3 canvas tarp they just have a better look and feel rather than the basha material ones, Jmho like.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the army basha, dd 3x3 and 4x4 they probably get equal use depending on the weather and if ground dwelling or hammock.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
If you plan on having a fire nearby I would be looking at canvas or polycotton. Or get a cheapish basha or dd and replace it when there are too many burn holes. If you don't plan on having a fire nearby there's plenty of great suggestions already been covered.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If you want quality and light weight look at the hilleberg tarps.

Another vote for the Hilleberg tarps, I have a UL10, it has been my primary outdoor shelter for ten years now, it is very very light for its size and surprisingly tough.

DSC_0009-025.JPG

Paul Kirtley uses the XP version, he writes about it here.

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE