Canvas Tarp Suitable As Bell Tent Porch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hi all. I had been looking a while for a suitable canvas tarp to use on my bell tent. I didn't like the price of the dedicated bell tent porches so I went for one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Awnings-tarpaulins-canopy-tarp-medival-canvas-tent-Living-history-Reenactment-/221330587322?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item338854beba

Apologies if the link does not work, first time I have tried. If it does not work then copy and paste this into ebay. Awnings tarpaulins canopy tarp medival canvas tent Living history Reenactment. The seller is zelte-max_de

The size I went for was 3m x 2m , its heavy weight untreated canvas and came to £35.00 delivered. I have now bought two from him and both orders came through within 5 days from Germany. I like the fact that it has loops instead of grommets as they usually fail on me.

No connection just a happy customer.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have only had it out in light rain so far and it seemed fine, as its untreated it might need proofing for added water repellency. Before I do that I want to pitch it out again in heavy rain to see if it does need treatment, I am hoping that the fibres will swell and lock so I don't have to use a heap of chemicals on it. Just waiting for some 6' Hazel poles that I coppiced to dry so I can pitch it without the bell tent.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I got mine from the Dutch belltent website (the name escapes me at the mo') but its a good tough poly cotton tarp and as far as I remember it was about £50:00 delivered.

Obelink....that's the one, have a Google!!!

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I just use one on the bell tent, simple upside down V and a steel king pole. I have only used one as a stand alone shelter so far. But as soon as my poles are ready I will try linking both together. Another reason I bought them is to use one with two polish army tents and have the canvas tarp as a communal area so I can use a rocket stove under it and not be too worried about spark holes, although the rocket stove doesn't send out many sparks.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Will do, but I am afraid it wont be till spring. I can't tempt the family out of the house in winter. So I have to head out on my own so I just take a light weight tent in the winter. Till then I will be using it as a standalone shelter in the garden to keep dry while I am carving and making sticks.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
No worries will do. Just waiting on the poles to dry, am looking forward to trying my washine machine drum firepit with it. Took me 3 hours, much swearing and a cut thumb to get the drum out.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
Hi all. I had been looking a while for a suitable canvas tarp to use on my bell tent. I didn't like the price of the dedicated bell tent porches so I went for one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Awnings-tarpaulins-canopy-tarp-medival-canvas-tent-Living-history-Reenactment-/221330587322?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item338854beba

Apologies if the link does not work, first time I have tried. If it does not work then copy and paste this into ebay. Awnings tarpaulins canopy tarp medival canvas tent Living history Reenactment. The seller is zelte-max_de

The size I went for was 3m x 2m , its heavy weight untreated canvas and came to £35.00 delivered. I have now bought two from him and both orders came through within 5 days from Germany. I like the fact that it has loops instead of grommets as they usually fail on me.

No connection just a happy customer.
for that price I may give one a to and dye it olive green, what is the robustness like?

Cheers
Luke

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
for that price I may give one a to and dye it olive green, what is the robustness like?

Cheers
Luke

Hi Luke

I am thinking of dyeing one too, I have a clean barrel to use, its never gonna fit in the washing machine and I think the launderette will be less than impressed If I tried it there.:)

I have not had the tarp that long but it was advertised in my size 3m x 2m as 320gsm. The tarp feels thicker than my bell tent which is 350gsm, but that maybe because the tarp is untreated. It feels pretty robust. When I have pitched it I have put plenty of tension on it and the stitching seems fine. I am hoping to pitch it again next week and leave it up for a week or two to weather in and see how it copes with the winds I get here. I will report back and post some photos too.

Jay

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
Thanks Jay, I'm gonna order one tonight, not much lost if it turns out to not be what I'm after.

I was going to use dyron dye in a drum/bucket, bit sure how much to use tbh but will probably ask in the local haberdashery shop when I buy it

Luke

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I am very tempted to buy one of these in the larger size and use the material to make a baker Tent.

What make dye would you use?

Hi Robmc

The only dyes I know of are the Dylon ones, they do a range of colours, the one I'm going for is Olive green. Some of the other guys on here may know better dyes to use. Have you thought of buying canvas by the meter I found this http://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/cotton-canvas-heavy-cc24

It might work out a bit cheaper for you. Good luck with your Baker Tent.

Jay

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Thanks Jay, I'm gonna order one tonight, not much lost if it turns out to not be what I'm after.

I was going to use dyron dye in a drum/bucket, bit sure how much to use tbh but will probably ask in the local haberdashery shop when I buy it

Luke

Glad to help mate. I am not sure either at the moment how much to use. Good idea to ask at the haberdashery. I think we will have to hope/wish/pray for a sunny day to dye them. :) I ordered mine on the same basis and was happy with the tarp and service.

Good luck and if you get chance it would be good to see a pic of your set up.

Jay

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Hi Robmc

The only dyes I know of are the Dylon ones, they do a range of colours, the one I'm going for is Olive green. Some of the other guys on here may know better dyes to use. Have you thought of buying canvas by the meter I found this http://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/cotton-canvas-heavy-cc24

It might work out a bit cheaper for you. Good luck with your Baker Tent.

Jay

Thanks Jay, Yes on both counts, Dylon looks good, as does the canvas. That looks the way to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE