Recommend me a bow.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi guys.
I'm after a bow so I can have some fun during the moot. Heres what I'm after:
-standard straight type, no block type. Simpler the better.
-preferably sintetic over wood so I don't have to worry about storing it.
-I have some experience in archery from when I was young so I'm after something more than entry level. Actually I dont mind a steeper learning curve so recommend me something that will last me a bit longer.
-I'm 6'5" 17 stone bloke with some power in my back so 40-60 pounds is not a problem for me. I'm more after fun and sending some power than pin point accuracy.
-simpler and more elegant and maintenance free the better, I'm not planning on plastering it with gadgets and sights, I really like shooting by feel/naked eye.
-I'm left eyed and left handed.
-I am ready to pay 100 pounds for something decent.

I will be gratefull for any advice, tips and help.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You will need to figure out your draw length before buying. At 6ft5 your likely to have the draw of an orang-utan ;) Most of your standard cheaper glass bows only draw out to 28 and being 6n alf foot tall you may be out to as much as 30, drawing a 27-28 bow out to 30 will likely cause it to start failing.
Also consider that a decent set of arrows is going to take up a chunk of your budget. Draw weight wise go for the lower end of your draw to start out. None of us in the UK are able to shoot anything with a face so alls a higher draw will give you is a slightly flatter trajectory. You may be a big lad but the muscles used in archery are used for little else so you will start to get sore. I say this sat here with my back and lats killing me after stringing and unstringing a bow dozens of times and shooting in a new bow.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2014
Newbury
In addition to what dwardo says, I'll add a few points:

- you said simple so I presume you mean a traditional bow instead of compound
- if so, suggest you go for a take-down bow that's easy to transport (especially to fly with)
- go for ILF (Google it if you're not sure what it is - thousands of sites with details)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
@Zvakanaka.
Exactly what I'm after. Long or recurved bow, takedown would be a great bonus. ILF system is great for future upgrades if I can afford it... Anyone knows a good place/shop where I can try what weight, draw lenght etc I can handle in Chester/Manchester/Liverpool area?

Looking on ebay 100£ seams unrealistic.... How much money I need for simple but decent bow to have some fun/release some stress?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
There is a place up the road from me in Birkenhead. http://www.thelongbowshop.com/
After that your in Whitchurch at www.bowplus.co.uk

Or further north there is a place in Preston but the name escapes me. Cant help on price I am afraid when it comes to glass bows but a good English longbow or all wood flatbow/recurve would start from about £250 for just the bow. A decent set of arrows around £50? ish.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Quite a few good shops about, personally I recommend Custom Built Archery in Nottinghamshire as a satisfied customer. For nicer, but more expensive, bows in the same area try KG archery. Really really lovely people.

Both have ranges and excellent staff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE