Swedish Snow Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I wanted just a hint of a greeny grey colour, and used one sachet, but put in a wool blanket as well to add bulk to help lighten the dye when it took. I had visons of this

Ah, assuming that the blanket took up some of the dye* then it will have caused a big part of the issue and blue rather than green being the main base colour of the dye will have been another ...

Dyes are weight restricted ~ this quantity of dye will turn this weight of this material this colour (plus all kinds of funky 'unless the original colour is ... in which case 'this plus that equals ... colour' results). Did you use salt?

* It doesn't have to keep the colour for long, just prevent the dye from going where you wanted it :(

The 'this' in question wasn't dyed and it won't be an easy replication with a single application ;)

The problem you now face is whether to over dye with another, different, colour ~ brown _might_ have a yellow in it which _might_ send the blue/green further into the green spectrum ~ it might be worth looking at Albos Culter's smock thread as he got a mottled effect by hand dying in an undersized bucket ;) . If you want to pull that colour out then try dylon's dye remover.

Last edited:

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Yep, did use the salt, and I did realise that the patterns on the outfits on ROTJ will have been sprayed on. It was AC's attempt that made me think of trying it 'with a little bit of thought' rather than 'pot luck'. I didnt know about the dye make up, that would explain it how it ened up. I think I'll try and remove it and start again, then leave it; it will ahve cost me more in dye than the smock!!

A lot of us dream about looking like Harrison Ford. It just isn't going to happen.

Its why I wear the baggy smock, hide the bulges:)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think I'll try and remove it and start again, then leave it; it will ahve cost me more in dye than the smock!!

I know about working out how something was done and trying to replicate it ... it's a pita which, occasionally, can give joyous results :rofl:

I remember someone doing a smock in antique grey a few years back, it looked good but I'm not sure who it was :eek: . Unless you're set on green or brown it might be worth redoing the antique grey ~ because you'll have lost a bit to the blanket in the first go it's likely to out a bit paler than the box swatch (unless, that is, you use two sachets).

Which colour are you considering? You'll only really need to pull the colour out if you intend to go with a pale or washed out effect (single sachet) finish.

I've recently started modding a snow smock and I went for a full block* colour on the basis that it'll (hopefully) wash back to what I want ~ all colours fade with washing.

* Correct quantity of dye for garment(s) weight

It's a bit in your face atm but I opted for a hiding in plain sight theme and, as mentioned above, it should fade down to become nicely muted and unobtrusive. Adding waterproofing or a water repellant would darken it up nicely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE