BG needless killing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Just recently been watching Bear Grylls episodes on you youtube and on the whole find them pretty entertaining
if a bit silly.
One thing that really bugs me is the needless killing, im no bleeding hart liberal, ive hunted, I still do on occasion
Tho I was brought up to have respect for the prey, and have a good solid reason why ive despatched it.
To do it purely for entertainment just seems a bit messed up.
But I see Bear pick up say a lovely big frog out of some muddy disease ridden pool, kill it by tearing it too pieces (alive)
taking 2 bites and then the camera cuts, don't tell me Bear is going to chow down on the rest of that frog, its
going to just get chucked, utterly pointless. Its not as tho this would be an advisable survival technic anyway, food is
a pretty low priority isn't it?, taking it out of some crappy bit of water is asking for trouble and eating it raw
is just stupid considering parasites? same with snakes, there ripped with salmonella.
Just find it all pretty distasteful and thinking about it mindless and cruel, all so little boys get a kick out of it
and he gets the ratings, how is he getting away with this? if say it happened on a soap (just as pointless and barbaric)
There would be a massive public outcry.
Just my opinion (it duz say chatter) whats your opinion?

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
what that its pretty entertaining if a bit silly?
Yes, It is a demonstration of what it is possible to do to survive in a hopeless situation. I would be confident that our ancestors may have done such things in the past. I dont think he advocates we all should do it, but he demonstrates that the gag reflex can be overcome by hunger. You should be aware that other programmes he makes also involves killing animals when we are all aware meat can be got without killing stuff but going to Tesco. Don't watch it if it has such an affect on you.

vukic

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Tiverton, Devon
Yes, It is a demonstration of what it is possible to do to survive in a hopeless situation. I would be confident that our ancestors may have done such things in the past. I dont think he advocates we all should do it, but he demonstrates that the gag reflex can be overcome by hunger. You should be aware that other programmes he makes also involves killing animals when we are all aware meat can be got without killing stuff but going to Tesco. Don't watch it if it has such an affect on you.

How do you get meat without killing something???

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
He is demonstrating you can eat these if necessary in a given survival situation. Showing joe public it doesnt come out of a freezer

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland

Just read this and this is a better explanation Well said

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hmmm this threads going to end no where good.
But I got to say I dislike Bear's approach intensely.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
He could be prosecuted for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal in the UK.

6. A Scout is kind to animals.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok,the original post I quite agree with.
I'm not a vegetarian, but I'd like to think that we All would advocate the dispatching of animals in a painless manner as possible. Also that every edible and 'useful' part of an animal would be used so that there is very little left. This to my mind that didn't happen in this episode ( dunno didn't watch it) and just for the cameras,an animal suffered.
I generally like BG and have defended him in the past ( after all who on here has been up Everest?!) but things like don't sit very well with me.
d

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ahhh - the ol' BG debate again. At least no-one's brought Uncle Ray in yet!

Don't like him on a personal level despite never meeting him? Hate him cos he's made a bit of cash out of TV? Can't stand him for doing all the things he's done - after all, only poseurs pass SAS selection, climb Everest, fly over Everest in a balloon, cross the Atlantic in a RIB, all after breaking their backs parachuting? Don't understand how TV ratings work? Don't like scouts?:)

Don't watch.

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth

Don't like him on a personal level despite never meeting him? Hate him cos he's made a bit of cash out of TV? Can't stand him for doing all the things he's done - after all, only poseurs pass SAS selection, climb Everest, fly over Everest in a balloon, cross the Atlantic in a RIB, all after breaking their backs parachuting? Don't understand how TV ratings work? Don't like scouts?:)

Don't watch.

Well said that man, live and let live

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England

Don't watch.

+1 to that.

Some of his actions may seem outlandish to many people watching at home, but lets not forget the reality of survival is about having to hunt for food, kill for food and eat the prey. Alright it might not exactly be your choice of food but in the circumstances he is demonstrating you'd rather eat what you can as opposed to nothing at all.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset

Don't watch.

Hahaha! They won't listen.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well i know on this forum many many people think BG is a big clown, well i disagree, he most definitely has his place, and he shows exactly what would be needed in the most desperate situation to survive, and get your self to help out of the immediate situation. all those who argue the toll just take a look at Andy BB post who sums it up.....

after all he is doing good things for the scouts so it seams. and try reading his book, its very informative and might change your mind towards him, it just made me respect him more as a person....

anyway, people will always have differing views of these people as all we see are the bits "FOR TV", lets face it they are for the camera, and as for him staying in hotels, who would not if there wife turned up with their son and they had not seem then for weeks and weeks. its all relative, and again the press only show the bits that sell, convenient how they leave details out.

well, thats just my thoughts on the matter, and again if you dont like it, dont watch it....

regards.

chris.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
sensationalist spacktard of the highest order...its TV,eating live stuff and killing for killings sake just for ratings and audience is cruel. I dont watch his progs and never will as i think his skills are deeply questionable after the stories ive heard of his resurchers questions posed to people i know....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE