Advice on boys first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Mora, mora, mora and mora. All the way, perfect knife for the beginners and experienced users.

Pick a style/design you like and go for it. The 511 as previously mwentioned is most likely the best and safest for a young lad, that finger guard will keep his hands off that incredibley sharp blade, the bright red handle will mean he won't drop it and hurt himself trying to find and pick it up. and it's cheaper than a portion of fish and chips! cannot go wrong there buddy, and the lad will love it!

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I bought my grand children Mora Clippers or Companion, had I seen the Mora Craftline HighQ Robust I would have bought the Craftline HighQ Robust which I saw on this forum

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
when my boys were quite young i gave both camillus' boy scout knives. they still have and use them twenty+ years later.

since camillus is defunct and case knives are probably above your spend limit, look at the victorinox soldier.
the spring is a bit heavier so it won't close on young fingers and has enough tools to make him happy for a long time to come.

i assume that it's uk legal.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
when my boys were quite young i gave both camillus' boy scout knives. they still have and use them twenty+ years later.

since camillus is defunct and case knives are probably above your spend limit, look at the victorinox soldier.
the spring is a bit heavier so it won't close on young fingers and has enough tools to make him happy for a long time to come.

legal? well yeah, but not to carry everyday without 'good reason'. If it's a folding knife you want then obviously get the 'alox farmer' or 'huntsman'.

for fixed blade though, stick with mora, genuine quality, not made in china and impressive value for money.

Jan 8, 2012
Devon
I have my own Mora Carbon and when looking for something similar for my 8 year old son I looked at their classic boys knife with the large guard on it but the price put me off... Instead of getting him exactly the same knife as me I found the Hultafor safety knife almost identical, available in carbon, with a good-sized finger-guard, for even less than a Mora.

He loves it, although I only "issue" it to him when we go out to the woods together.. He's still young and it's VERY sharp :)

no they are still here or back again

http://www.camillusknives.com/

a soldier Vic SAK is perfectly legal for any body to own in UK (any age even my 3 yr old) but you do need a good specific reason to carry it in public as its a locking folder in the eyes of S139 and the cutting edge is a few mm longer than the 76mm min

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
no they are still here or back again

http://www.camillusknives.com/

a soldier Vic SAK is perfectly legal for any body to own in UK (any age even my 3 yr old) but you do need a good specific reason to carry it in public as its a locking folder in the eyes of S139 and the cutting edge is a few mm longer than the 76mm min

Camillus is "Back" again. They were defunct for a year or two but are now back although they're now Chinese made.

My first knife was a Barlow type pocketknife whan I was 7 years old followed by a Craftsman brand Scout knife a year later. My first fixed blade was a Queen Cutlery hunting knife when I was about 11 or so (don't remember the exact model) Unfortunately I won't be able to choose my Godson's first knife; his Cub Scout pack has already presented him with 2 over the last 2 years.

I'll agree that generally a first knife should prbably be a pocket knife. Ontario Cutlery still makes a Scout (camp) knife to the same specs as the older Camillus ones. Here's a link: www.ontario-knife-store.com/ontario-camp-knife The one pictured has a Camillus brand on it but as far as I know these are the ones from Ontario Cutlery: www.ontarioknife.com

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My first knife (age 7) was a pen knife - a souvenir from Dinard in fake MOP with a boat inscribed into it. I treasured it. Age 10 I got an opinel - razor sharp. My first fixed blade sheath knife (age 12) was a terrible choice. I went for the most "tactical" in the shop (yeomans if I recall). It was black "anti glint" with a convex grind, with a secondary bevel and a saw back - with an anti vacuum groove. It had a green plastic handle and big big bolt head metal pommel with a cheap black leather effect sheath.

It was ace.

Last edited:

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
This is a great topic for me as I can't wait for the timeI'm going to break the rules just a little on this one. You said £50 but if you fancy stretching that budget by 6quid you can give him one of these:

http://www.heinnie.com/Boar-Stainless/p-0-0-7859/

7859.jpg

I've got one and its one of my favourite knifes. It feels really good in the hand and as you would expect comes super sharp.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I'll agree that generally a first knife should prbably be a pocket knife ...

+1 to that. I think he'll find it more useful, and more likely to be on him when he needs it.

Lots to choose from well within the budget. Just from the Victorinox/Wenger ranges there are the EVOs, the Huntsman, the Soldier, Adventurer, Sentinel...

Add a tarp and a firesteel with a scraper and he's all set. :)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
My first knife of any consequence (though not my first knife altogether) was one I bought with my saved up pocket money when I was either 12 or 13. It was a 6 inch Bowie with a stag handle by John Knowill of Sheffield. It cost me 18 shillings and sixpence, which must have been a lot of money in those times, because the equivalent knife would cost at least £60 these days. Whether it was the best choice at the time I can't be sure, but it was definitely a more substantial and enduring piece of kit than the one my brother had. My dad was all for my getting a "proper" knife, having seen the pathetic effort I swapped my British Army folder (complete with marlin spike) for in the playground.

When I was growing up, knives were just part of the kit a boy should know about. I remember my Uncle coming over from Canada when I was about 7 or 8 and his gift to me was a penknife, with a point and all. And if I took it to school and got it out to sharpen a pencil nobody would have a seizure.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Opinel #7 safety knife. Bought one for my daughter (she's 7).

Locks open, good edge and no point to accidentally stab yourself with.

EDIT - Dang, didn't realise this was a necropost....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE