STUPIDLY SIMPLE Midge Repel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Got ours today .......a neighbor has been 'guarding it for a couple of days!
thank-you in advance. We are looking forward to putting it through its Paces this weekend and the coming days. Will return with Yorkshire feedback next month. As I wear shorts alot and crocs when backwoods, I'm very hopeful. Gud 'elth

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Well......first test this evening , tiptop.
Went down the wood to cut some willow and hazel wand s. Considering we were around the pond and then in the darker part of the wood , wading through the overgrown fauna, climbing the willows and then going into the darker cooler shades of the hazels/elders and hawthorns.........it appears......not a single bite!
I was wearing just shorts, crocs and an open waistcoat with no shirt or hat. Swmnbo had shorts and a T-shirt ....no bites! My lad had a T-shirt but with jeans....no bites!
Not once did I feel the need to swat!
I was ragged by the midges on Monday. What is causing me to be curious is.....that after walking through nettles and briars, I have very little (there is some) irritation on my legs and feet!
So then......first impressions are great from all of us :thumbup:
Smell? Nah....its not a smell.....its a quite pleasant scent.....I thought of it similar to coaltar soap.
Application? A bit of a grind.....but that's more due to me being hairy.
TASTE? disgusting lol. Don't roll a woodbine without washing hands thoroughly ;)
Longivity? (Not a misspelled word ....I just invented it.) I reckon it would have been better still if I'd put more on. Strangely I've just paused to scratch my arm, back and lug as I'm typing. That could be the prickly heat though.

So far then.....a big thanks to the team. I will keep you posted as my adventures with bite-shield progress. We're heading for the wooded river tomorrow in search of our snap. Cheers
Over - n - aht
chiseller

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
hi got my ssmr today took it to a village party and i had it in my pocket and no midgies but it was windy so i don't think that counts LOL work ed great when the buggers did come out to play
thanks

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Fantastic, when we get enough feedback good or bad we can tweek it, I love the term bite shield.

Be backwoods , on fen or field , the gnawing critters won't trouble you with this bite-shield. :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi there how do I get some ??

At the moment only the midge repel is on sale, not EAT yet.

Midge repel is small tin that you apply sparely to your forehead and the light smell of smoky lemon citronella keeps the midges off.

small tins are 15ml [should last a few months] are £3.50
big tins are 30ml [scotsman or family size] are £6.00

I have sent you a PM on how to pay.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
well i got out last night with the first trail of the EAT up near goathland whilst out stalking I came home bite free from horse fly and tickless so first impressions are going well ,it will get a full review after my long weekend in scotland where it will really be tested but so far 2 thumbs fresh for me, atb wayne

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Any chance you might be able to formulate a Royal Baby Repellant? Would be an added bonus if it was effective against politicians in general and Tories in particular.....here's hoping!

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
just as an update my buddy who was also out had proper stalking boots and gaitors on removed 4 ticks off hmself today i have not a single one on so very impressed,wayne

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
An update from me, I have been using this the last few weeks for when I am at pre season footy training.

I usually get bitten to death, this time nothing!!

Great stuff thoroughly reccomend!!

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
went fly fishing last night put on my ssmr and they took no notice loads of them all over me face are the scottish midge tougher than then the ones down south /the first night in are village it seemed to work mayby they get brave when there in numbers what do you think xylaria

xylaria

went fly fishing last night put on my ssmr and they took no notice loads of them all over me face are the scottish midge tougher than then the ones down south /the first night in are village it seemed to work mayby they get brave when there in numbers what do you think xylaria

All repellents have a natural limit, standing still by a water course in scotland in the evening is that limit. Past the bottom of my garden is a marshy wood. We have a midge hour. Without wearing it the bottom of the garden is a no go zone, wearing it I can water the garden and I am fine, but if i weed I will be standing in a cloud of midges. I dont get a lot of bites but when they desend they will find somewhere to have a munch. The exact same thing happens if i where DEET or nordic summer, truthfully i found the DEET spray I had useless but others swear by it. Nordic summer costs more then midge-repel, but it works, it reduces the time the daft hat with vale is needed, or the time sitting in doors. I can get to the point where I cant breathe without swallowing insect protien, they will be in my hair and eyes, but truthfully I dont get that many bites considering. Last week during the hot weather the midge hour lasted into the night. Scottish midges are meaner, they carry claymores swords and play bagpipes, where as welsh ones carry rubgy balls and sing well.

I have put the EAT oil on one leg and then sat on my chigger infested lawn, I got one chomp on the untreated leg, and one chomp on the armpit on the untreated side.

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Just so I'm clear, SSMR is for midges and mosquitoes and generally biting insects? while EAT is for chiggers that don't bite as such but munch the skin??

xylaria

Just so I'm clear, SSMR is for midges and mosquitoes and generally biting insects? while EAT is for chiggers that don't bite as such but munch the skin??

Midge repel is pretty much like nordic summer, smells a bit more lemony, but applied the same way for the same types of bugs. EAT is a spray, totally natural, oil based it provides more coverage. I wanted something I could apply when wearing shorts and come across a moor of bracken and sheep, and at least would give me some protection. Neem is used in organic farmers sheep dip and herbal tick repellants for cats. Neem on its own smells really rank so I mixed it with other oils with repellant properties.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
So am I right is thinking that they do similar things but are administered differently and EAT gets to parts the SSMR can't reach so easily? Essentially is EAT good to repel all biters/munchers or is it better to reserve it for chiggers?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Back in, three hours out in my Exmoor valley, one leg untreated , two horse fly bits behind the knee ( and three slapped dead before they could bite me. )
Arms and other leg unaffected, ( Treated with EAT oil)
The point about EAT oil SEEMS to be, there just don't wanna go there! Period!
It not that they land but don't bite, they just don't want to land!
SSMR I love, the smell is great and it works well, it is just that with EAT it is easier to get full coverage.

More soon.

Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE