STUPIDLY SIMPLE Midge Repel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well now, since I wrote of my first impressions of the EAT last week, we've had purpose-designed conditions for testing any repellant; from scorching hot and dry to very high humidity and windstill and heavy and thundery to sharp showers and longer periods of fairly heavy rain. I've walked about 15 miles a day as I normally do, but I've done it in a pair of approach shoes (trainer-type thingys) and no socks and an army surplus wicking t-shirt with short sleeves - I've not been able to go about the woods with this much skin exposed for years because of the biting ones and it's been a real eye-opener................

As some of you will know from earlier posts, I spend a great deal of time with horses each day, and I've worn the above outfit for this as well; the ground I walk over is very varied but mostly with a heavy covering of the fern (bracken) and heavily populated with various species of deer, plenty of wild pig and fox, and much of the open ground is sheep pasture - it's usual for me to take 2 or 3 ticks off Mollydog on a daily basis and 6 - 8 from myself a week, and that's going about with boots gaiters and long sleeves.

Besides the ticks, horseflies, midges and mossies have been the bane of my life, a very real misery. When I started to use the SSMR this was to a great extent ameliorated and made life much more bearable, pleasant even, but when I got the EAT to trial I stopped using it (SSMR) in order to get a good idea of the new stuff on it's own.............it's much easier to apply and control exactly how much of it goes where and I don't find it unpleasant at all, EXCEPT: if you have a trace of it on your fingers and transfer it to your mouth by way of food, drink or a smoke, it really is vile!............But your fingers are the one place you don't need it so just wipe/wash hands after application; other than that the carrying and applying of it are easy and convenient. I also found I didn't need to apply it more than three times a day.

During this period I have had 3 nights out, using a stove rather than a good big fire, and up untill 2 days ago, I had no ticks on me and not a single bite ............I can't remember the last time I had a run like that free of the critters . The last two days and one night out, I've left the bottom part of my left leg and my left arm below the elbow without the EAT, and I'm covered in bites from all sorts on those parts, came home at 6 am today and had a shower, no ticks, then put the oil on completely again, covering everything. I've been in the woods since with a pair of young horses I'm doing and I've not had a fresh bite all day.............

Chris the Cat has it dead right, in my view; it's not just that they're not biting me, they're not landing on me and as a wearer of glasses, this is a very great thing - no more swiping my glasses onto the ground and getting them filthy from taking them on and off to clear the little fekks from under them.

This EAT oil has made a huge difference to my summer and I just couldn't praise it highly enough, very highly recommended on my experience of it so far...........Thanks for getting it to me,.........atb mac

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
What great feedback Mac. We picked people who could really put it to the test and I think you have done just that,
I am so glad it has made a difference to your daily life I am going to try to get along to the moot from the 10th to the 13th

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Just a quick question peeps.

Exactly how much of this should I be putting on and where?

Reason I ask is I normally getting bitten to death when I am coaching pre season footy training, I have had no bites and great success up until last night.

What I have been doing is putting some on each side of my ankle maybe when its rubbed in the size of 50p coin, then a bit on the back.

Also a dab on the back of my neck too.

Was in a different place to normal last night though.

Cheers
Steve

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
You apply to any exposed area and cover the entire surface, this should give you maximum protection, Note it is for external use only as explained by Fi about lady and mans delicate bits;)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
You apply to any exposed area and cover the entire surface, this should give you maximum protection, Note it is for external use only as explained by Fi about lady and mans delicate bits;)

If I ever get bitten in those areas mate I think I will just stay in till winter lol!!

xylaria

with the EAT you put it where the main thing that munches you bites. Chiggers bite where other buggalugs fear to go, midges; foreheads, the jumpy bitey things; legs, ticks; anywhere, horseflys; everywhere, headlice;head. The midge repel you just put on exposed skin very sparingly, if it works where you put it, keep putting it there. Neither of them are medical so they are not Ok to put on mucus membranes.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
For the EAT we are waiting on the suppliers of the containers to deliver but we can ship SSMR now, if you pm xylaria she will give you details on payment details.
cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Got a new name for the Stupidly Simple. (SMRR)

The Scottish word for the fine, fine, mist of rain is Smirr, and the midgies come out in their millions when it's just smirry and still.

I want some of the EAT stuff for HWMBLT as soon as it becomes generally available. He came home with ticks when he was up walking near Aviemore last time he wore shorts; he's been sweltering in the heat in long trousers since.

cheers,
M

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi Toddy im going to try to get along to the moot from the 10th to the 13th which I believe is traders day and will bring some with me, both of us can't attend as we have pets, can you let me know is there a charge for selling or is it included in the price.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm not sure Woodstock; I know that the Trader's day was so that the Moot wasn't a constant commercial thing though.
I'll flag this in the Mods and someone will get back to you.

atb,
Mary

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I would like some more Smirr and some EAT please, I have been using it (Smirr) every day for the past few weeks and I am half way through the tim already, I will be at the moot. Thanks.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
just a quick update on the EAT i have been using it a week now no effects to me but i have been tick free and also i have not had a single bite frome clegs I am going to scotland for 4 days on the 2nd aug so it will really be tested as i missed this weekend gone as i needed to work pics and proper writeup to follow but i will do a seperate thread on this ,thanks and will be buying more when i use this up ,wayne

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Check out post 129 onwards of this thread jacko,
Its name of EAT oil gets its first airing in my post of 137 I think.
Third report from me by the end of the week.

Best.

Chris.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I set off for scotland on friday morning and got to my ground in dumfries it was a lovely night so got all my kit together to get out for a stalk after a good dollap of EAT and some smidge for extra protection headed off with the hound she is fully done with some spot ons from the vets but it doesnt stop the ticks from jumping on her but they dont stay on for long.
had a lovely stalk around some sheep infested high ground before heading into the forest.
now it was supposed to be a long weekend away but as i started route into the trees i had a call so i quickly put it onto silent mode :banghead: and carried on but another three calls i knew something was wrong so to cut a long story short i ended up heading back to yorkshire to use the dog to track a roe buck and spent the next morning in a woodland in yorkshire after a long drive through the night i headed out onto the ground first light and set the dog on the trail.
after getting home i checked out the dog which had alot of ticks i took them off and ended looking at my clothing all was crawling so outside i stripped off and put the clothes into the washer. i didnt have a single tick on me and i also had no bites yet again i am very impressed with this stuff as usually i am pulling ticks off even with an underlayer and all tucked in so again a big thumbs up to you guys it works a treat and i actually like the smell of the oil and simply smidge so all good for me,atb wayne

xylaria

I set off for scotland on friday morning and got to my ground in dumfries it was a lovely night so got all my kit together to get out for a stalk after a good dollap of EAT and some smidge for extra protection headed off with the hound she is fully done with some spot ons from the vets but it doesnt stop the ticks from jumping on her but they dont stay on for long.
had a lovely stalk around some sheep infested high ground before heading into the forest.
now it was supposed to be a long weekend away but as i started route into the trees i had a call so i quickly put it onto silent mode :banghead: and carried on but another three calls i knew something was wrong so to cut a long story short i ended up heading back to yorkshire to use the dog to track a roe buck and spent the next morning in a woodland in yorkshire after a long drive through the night i headed out onto the ground first light and set the dog on the trail.
after getting home i checked out the dog which had alot of ticks i took them off and ended looking at my clothing all was crawling so outside i stripped off and put the clothes into the washer. i didnt have a single tick on me and i also had no bites yet again i am very impressed with this stuff as usually i am pulling ticks off even with an underlayer and all tucked in so again a big thumbs up to you guys it works a treat and i actually like the smell of the oil and simply smidge so all good for me,atb wayne

I am so glad it worked so well for you. It sounds a thoroughly shocking amount of ticks. To be truthful I am pleasantly suprised it worked so well, nothing is ever a 100%, and nothing will ever replace proper tick checks. I recommend permethrin treated clothes when going some where really ticky, as well the oil.

There is another thread on the EAT oil, now renamed Bug Oil.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
ah right i wasnt sure it was the same stuff. I have never seen so many ticks as on these bits of ground in scotland i was hoping to stay longer and do a vid but it got cut short. i am extra carefull and check after every outing to be safe. I was looking at getting some permitherin to dose all my clothes and hammock to better safegaurd myself.
but back to your stuff it has been great and can honestly say it works the last time i went up i stopped off at loch lomond for a pee and i forgot to apply smidge before i left the car and got eaten alive a mistake i wont make again, atb wayne

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
A big thank you to Xylaria and Co for the SSMR. It arrived this AM. The royal fail managed to loose the 1st one so Xylaria kindly sent a replacement! Can't wait to try it out now! It smells wonderful!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE