"Possibles Pouch" whats in yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
My 'Possibles Bag'

possibles.jpg
:biggthump

L

Little Mole

RovingArcher said:
Actually, a feminine napkin is as sterile and almost as absorbent as a large field dressing.

Actually it's not. A feminine napkin may be absorbent but it's not sterile. As I said earlier, it's good for an emergency but not ideal. A proper wound dressing is manufactured and more importantly packaged in a sterile environment. The same cannot be said for ladies pads, particularly if they're knocking around in your pack with other stuff whereas a proper dressing will remain sterile as long as its wrapping isn't damaged. Anyway, a proper dressing comes with the appropriate bandaging to keep it in place.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Thank you for correcting my statement, they aren't sterile and for my previous statement, I apologize. It was my understanding, in error, that when toxic shock syndrome occured, they started making the Kotex pads sterile, which is why they wrapped them individually. According to their site, they are sanitary and individually wrapped because women prefer them that way. I'll continue to use them, but will invest in some sterile field dressings as well.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Here is my revised version that i would carry when out in the woods for the day or some other place where i can practice my bushcraft skills in peace. I will also get a small pouch that can go on my belt which will have things in it that can be used to make fire, shelter, purify water, etc.
100_0880.jpg

And the bag it goes in

100_0881.jpg

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
In there is swedish army messkit ( has folding cup, salt, brew kit, spices, meths etc inside), a SAK, Knife with firesteel on sheath, Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft, Notebook, book on trees, string, folding saw, starkie sharp, magnifying glass, matches and a few medical items and a small plastic bag.

Young Bushman said:
Here is my revised version that i would carry when out in the woods for the day or some other place where i can practice my bushcraft skills in peace. I will also get a small pouch that can go on my belt which will have things in it that can be used to make fire, shelter, purify water, etc.
100_0880.jpg

And the bag it goes in

100_0881.jpg

Nice combination. Any "firestarting" capabilities????

L

Little Mole

I'll continue to use them, but will invest in some sterile field dressings as well.

No harm having them in reserve but yes, invest in a couple of medium sized dressings or one large. I'm inclined to go for the first option. It's a bit more versatile.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tinder boxes area slightly different things to a tinder pouches.

Tinder pouch is where you keep your tinder, fire steel whatever and is used in a mannor where you remove your tinder and spark onto it to light your fire.

A tinder box is a container (usually metal of brass) in which a tinder and a sulphur tipped match where kept. For the Victorians ect this was the lighter of its day and you would spark into the box to ingnite the tinder, then take the match and ignite that then using the match light your candle, lantern or whatever. Once finished the whole thing was extinguished.

A piece of useless info for you. :nana:

L

Little Mole

OK...I suppose I'd better tell what's in mine.

My bag is about 8 inches by 4.

Leatherman (dunno what type it is but it's smaller than a wave), survival tin containing fishing line, hooks and weights, waterproof matches, chlorine tabs, a compass (although I'm generally of the opinion that I know exactly where I am at all times but would prefer to be lost), pencil and paper, I think it may also have a polythene water bag and some other stuff I'll probably never use, a nail scissors, five plasters, two bandages and a bottle of potassium permanganate, rescue remedy and three cereal bars or a bag of radishes if I'm lucky. :chill:

There's room for one more item. A survival sheet. I suppose a bin liner would do although we have bashas so there'd probably be room for one of those....if I carried a couple of items in my pockets. Forgot one important item. Rope. I prefer skipping ropes but a line of paracord would be more practical. There are bundles of it all over the house here.

I suppose a proper survival plan should always include some spare cash. £20?

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Little Mole said:
I suppose a proper survival plan should always include some spare cash. £20?

I wouldn't be able to go long without using it to buy some new bit of kit.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
This is more of a mini kit than a possibles pouch (although they are kinda the same thing in a way, eh?) but it's what I carry when I'm hunting and fishing. I also carry a small shirt pocket med kit and a small Ti pot, which nestles easily in my hunting or fishing vest. If I have a small day pack, then I also carry a large space blanket and silnylon poncho or rain jacket. More rope too. I've also been known to carry a knife or two. :)

I have several hip pouch kits I carry as well, depending on location, conditions and what I plan for the day and time of year etc. Most of the time, I mainly need a compass to get my butt out of the woods, usually in the dark.

minikit1c.jpg

Forgot to mention, I rarely go tromping around without a small hatchet, usually a GB Mini. I think a mini hatchet is perfect for a mini kit, eh? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE